Mr Diggle I Have A Question (spoilers)

Ok so in the second season finale of Superman and Lois, Lois’ dad confirmed this show takes place on another Earth beside Earth Prime, effectively killing the Arrowverse. @arkhamassassin this now explains the lack of mention of Supergirl all this time that was annoying.
However I was confused with this being Diggle’s second appearance on this show. This second appearance went along with the fact this was a different Diggle and I’m ok with it.
However, the first appearance referred to his connection to Argus as well as the glowing box that was the common thread in his Arrowverse appearances. Are we to believe this Diggle had the same experiences but in a different world? Just wondering.
By the way I am glad he chose family over being a green themed superhero but I still would have liked to see him “suit up”just once

2 Likes

Superman & Lois’ showrunners don’t deserve the courtesy of fans trying to make sense of this because the entire thing is a disingenuous bait-and-switch.

2 Likes

Not exactly the same, but certainly similar. It’s possible they still thought this would be on Earth-Prime at the time of his 1st appearance, but by the time of his 2nd appearance they very much knew this was on a different world

4 Likes

The reveal that this isn’t Earth Prime is obviously a ret-con, probably because of the cancellations, there’s barely an Arrowverse anymore so it unfortunately made sense they separated.

2 Likes

The decision to shift Superman & Lois away from being the Earth-Prime show it was developed to be was slowly made over the course of Season 1, but rather than just admitting this outright, the showrunners somehow thought it was a good idea to let viewers continue believing that the show was set on Earth-Prime as had been promised…

… hence my description of it as a disingenuous bait-and-switch.

1 Like

I’m WAY behind on the show so I can’t comment on how well it works, but honestly…I’m okay with that. Considering the Arrowverse is kind of fading away right now, I think it works out better to let the show be it’s own thing, untethered by previous continuity.

I do hope they keep some of the stuff, though. Specifically I hope they keep Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor, and I do hope if/when they bring in Supergirl, they bring back Mellisa Benoist.

1 Like

No, let’s be real, this answer was to cover up their mistake. I don’t see why they wouldn’t admit they had to do this.

1 Like

That’s the thing, it’s annoying as heck, and obviously a ret-con, but the Arrowverse is all but gone, even Stargirl is on another Earth. Crossovers events are likely done.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s as much of a bait and switch as when Clark found his brother, he kept referring to him as his only Kryptonian family, ignoring his cousin Supergirl. Many of us felt aggravated by it but now it makes more sense. And they’ve been doing that all along. My problem was how closely Diggle’s backstory seemed to follow Prime Earth’s Diggle in his first appearance and led to confusion.
As for this show pulling bait and switches, it has become its standard: Morgan Edge, Doomsday, Steel…need I go on?