Most Iconic DC Couple?

No couple is more iconic than Lois & Clark.

Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor are right up there with them, although since Crisis On Infinite Earths it may be more in pop culture (TV, movie, etc) than the comics. Was glad to see Rebirth put them back together.

6 Likes

Liking/disliking a couple and acknowledging that they’re the most well-known/recognizable couple from DC are two very different things. I tend not to like Lois; there have only been a couple versions I’ve actually liked. I think in an effort to make her ‘strong’ or ‘cool’ she too often comes off as mean and annoyingly reckless. That said, she’s been a part of Superman’s world from the beginning, she’s appeared in pretty much every iteration of Superman that I can think of (including comics, movies, tv shows, cartoons, etc.) - usually with a romantic interest subplot - and she’s a character the general public is likely to recognize.

I think Batman/Catwoman would be the next most recognizable pair, but Bruce Wayne has often been portrayed with other love interests in various forms of media, and I think Catwoman as a villain sets her apart a bit more in the public conscious. Also, in the main universe, he has a kid with someone else, they aren’t married, and they are often in the off-period of their on-again-off-again relationship.

Wonder Woman is the next big identifiable DC hero, and while Steve is often her love interest, they don’t have the same exposure to the public, even considering her recent movie (which I loved). I mean, if I talk about a blond superhero movie character named Steve that supposedly died in a World War plane crash/explosion, then most people will likely think I’m talking about Cap.

Green Arrow/Black Canary have been around a long time, but I don’t think the general public knows who they are - and if they do from Arrow, then this isn’t the couple they really get to see. Barry/Iris are in a tv show, and Aquaman/Mera have a potential movie franchise, but based on the exposure Lois and Clark have had over 80 years, I don’t really see anyone surpassing them as the most well-known and recognizable couple of DC comics. This is partly because I don’t really see another hero (with the potential exception of Batman) surpassing Superman’s level of recognition around the globe.

3 Likes

Lois and Clark.

4 Likes

Iconic? Lois & Clark.
The greatest? Ralph & Sue Dibny

4 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte: Are you pulling our legs? Even if you are not, your description of Lois and Clark’s relationship history was hysterical.

3 Likes

@mceddard.91225 Ooooo you must HATE Identity Crisis then.

1 Like

Everyone here says Lois and Clark. I wonder if perhaps you didn’t actually mean “Iconic” as most people use the word. Did you mean “better OTP” or something else more opinion-based?

1 Like

@wondyfan, it was a hard read.

1 Like

@WondyFan
“Iconic” just means the most well-known or most recognized. My favorite DC couple is Dick and Babs, but my vote for “Most Iconic” absolutely goes to Lois and Clark. If I asked an average person on the street what “Lois and Clark” is a reference to, they’d say “Superman”. If I asked the same person what “Dick and Babs” is a reference to, they’d say “Cheers” (unless they’re 50, in which case they’ve actually watched Cheers).

5 Likes

Green arrow and black canary without a doubt

2 Likes

@Batwing52 That’s what I’m saying. That they apparently were never brought up in the original offline argument is what leads me to think OP meant a different word, like Favorite or Better.

1 Like

I wish! They never got together sadly.

1 Like

Clark and Lois. I’ll let the images do the talking!

3 Likes

Lois and Clark! Duh!

2 Likes

No I think it was Superman and wonder woman in the 2012 justice league comics

3 Likes

Wait a second Barbara Gordon is Chief Gordon’s wife so dick Grayson will never been able to get married to her

1 Like

Lois and Clark are the most iconic

2 Likes

Lois and Clark, my favorite pairing of all time, has to be the most iconic. General audiences know them and even in adaptations where they try stay away from Lois (like Smallville), she appears anyway. Which I really enjoy. But as to other other couples worthy of that label…

I’m inclined to think Starfire/Nightwing more so than Dick/Babs. I think Selina/Bruce is iconic. Diana/Steve too.

2 Likes

I was going to say Dick and Babs right off the bat. Then read further. Lol. Agree 100%. Always come back to each other.

3 Likes

I was pulling for Batwoman and the Question but I guess it want meant to be. I also have a soft spot first loves (Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown and Conner Kent and Cassie Sandsmark but not Tim and Cassie, that was crazy. :slight_smile:)

Also, a recent Star Girl episode reminded me just how good Isis was for Black Adam (until she wasn’t).

2 Likes