More Gold Silver and Bronze please

Would you please be able to expand the pre Crisis offerings? Especially 1950 to 1980? I would really like to see more from the mid 70s in particular. Action Comics has huge gaps in the 70s, same with Superman. Would really like if they close gaps in the 1950s and 60s. Action , Detective , Superman and Batman almost totally ignore the 50s and 60s. As a kid in the 70s, those Golden and Silver age stories were always a lot of fun. I may be in the minority, but I would rather see more Elliot S! Margin than Tom King or Brian Michael Bendis.

5 Likes

Those stories have to be digitalized first, and I’m not sure the people working at DC Universe have much say in what DC Comics decides to digitalize. That being said, DC Comics digitalizes old comics every week, and they do come to this service whenever it happens.

4 Likes

Agree with the poster. More silver age, less Bendis.

2 Likes

I would also like more classic series scanned, but the reality is that new stuff also drops digitally the same day as print. So after the year embargo, DCU already has a digital copy to upload for every series that dropped one year ago this week. The older stuff needs to be scanned. A good amount already has, the stuff in reprint collections available digitally is all here, to my knowledge. The things we’re getting bit by bit is what’s being scanned and digitized, possibly even some preservation measures like color touches. However, I do believe they listen to particular things we would like to see, and you may even see something jump the cue if you ask for it.

Disclaimer that I’m not 100% sure that’s how it all works, please correct if wrong.

I would like to put a vote in for Neal Adams Spectre issues, if such a thing carries any weight. Think they’re The Spectre (1968) #2-5

I have been clamoring for this since I joined the site

2 Likes

@DeadmanBrand

Basically, DC Comics makes a decision on what comics to digitize and release on Comixology.
DC Universe has access to the comics DC Comics makes available for Comixology, with some limitations (no Vertigo, for example).

To get something in particular added to DC Universe, you’d have to follow the chain up to DC Comics, as neither DC Universe or Comixology are in control of it.
However, you’d want to request the comics be added to Comixology. Then they would naturally come here.

1 Like

BTW…
I’ll add that I also would love to see more pre-Crisis comics get digitized.

For me, DC’s greatest works were from 1938-1992 (yeah, I think the first six years of post-Crisis were really good).

2 Likes

There is some really good silver age Adam Strange stories that are not on here

Not all of them are on here to get the full jist of the guy.

1 Like

Also more Legion of Superheroes need to be on here from the Silver Age not to mention all the Showcases from the first run from the 50s onwards.

2 Likes

It’s important to remember that the gold, silver, and bronze ages especially often require restoration before being digitized. It’s not just whack it on a scanner. So many issues are in the queue, but may take some time. I don’t know when DC went to all digital for sending to their printers but I’d guess mid 90s to early 00’s. So those eras are already in print quality digital format.

I am a big fan of golden, silver and Bronze Age comics. I think the Bronze Age is the most taken for granted, but it was the start of modern comics.

I often wonder if O’Neil/Adams/Schwartz had never before been published, and were put out today, if anyone would really look at them and think of them as non-modern and 40 years old.

2 Likes

I have a preference for the sheer wackiness of the silver age DC Comics. Plus, I loved those 80 and 100 page giants from the 60s and 70s for the great variety of stories and artwork.

4 Likes