đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: What Songs Are On Poison Ivy's Playlist? đŸŽ¶

Happy New Year’s Eve’s
 Eve, all!

That’s right, we’re almost into another new year, and with a combination of last week’s playlist, and this one to come, we’re both ending the year, and beginning the new one in style! Here’s the list of what’s in store for your eager ears so far:

• “Christmas With The Joker/Jingle Bells Batman Smells,” by Shirley Walker (feat. Mark Hamill)
  • “The Children’s Hour,” by Danny Elfman (from Batman Returns)
  • “Christmas Is Going To The Dogs,” by Eels
  • “Away In A Manager,” by Joey + Rory
  • “Silver Bells,” by Martina McBride
  • “Adam: Cantique de NoĂ«l,” by ElÄ«na Garanča & Karel Mark Chichon
  • “Deck the Halls,” by Mannheim Steamroller
  • “Dead Man’s Party,” by Oingo Boingo
  • “Hot Chocolate,” by Tom Hanks (from The Polar Express)
  • “My Favorite Things (Reprise),” by Julie Andrews (from The Sound of Music)
  • “Wonderful Christmastime,” by Paul McCartney
  • “Jingle Cats Medley,” by Jingle Cats
  • “Lonely This Christmas,” by Mud
  • “Chiron Beta Prime,” by Jonathan Coulton

This Week’s Theme:
What Songs Are On Poison Ivy’s Playlist?

After hearing so much of your feedback on our show, Harley Quinn, if there’s one thing we’ve noticed, it’s how many people find themselves relating to each of the show’s characters. This week, we’ll be highlighting one such person, and in the spirit of rebirth, renewal, and the New Year, want to know what songs do you think Poison Ivy would have on her playlist?

The songs can be based on your understanding of character and background using any of DC’s content (not just the new show), can stem from her perspective to represent her self-image, or even display of a goal or attribute you’d like to see her character grow into or develop. Show us what you have in mind in the comments below!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

12 Likes

Was originally thinking of Switchfoot’s “Dare You to Move,” but thought this needed something a little sharper in intensity, so I’d choose Spoken’s, “Breathe Again.”

The reason’s due to another forum member’s review, actually. When I first read that post, I’d still seen none of the new episodes yet (takes me a while to catch up sometimes :wink: lol), but I could instantly relate through the screenshots shared, and the song’s concept of pushing through the rough times reflects, I think, her response to Harley’s reading of her personality, and how: “I can be around people, now. You know, I mean, I hate it, but
” etc. That’s honestly some very serious emotional growth displayed. Likewise with the lyrics:

:notes: You’ve come too far to feel this way
So leave the pieces in the grave
Starting over again
So you can breathe again :notes:

11 Likes

I would say the music from Batman & Robin where she takes off the pink gorilla suit, That music did fit her perfect! :gorilla: :poisonivy_hqas:

6 Likes

I know it’s very literal but I pick this song because it’s Ivy. :poisonivy_hqas:

I Need Seed by Thee Oh Sees

:notes:I need seed
Throw up the grass
Throw up the trees:notes:
7 Likes

Whatever you do Don’t Kiss Her

7 Likes

@Reaganfan78 & @Aristarchus94.72134 - Oh, my goodness, that scene (and suit!)
 I’d completely forgotten, but you’re so right! It’s one thing when we find lyrics that match a character or situation well, but I love it when we’re able to find music that, on its own, does so, rendering the lyrics unnecessary. :hushed: Also loving how both of you are on the same page today! :slight_smile:

@seitan - Literal’s good! I was thinking of going similarly, but even my choice wouldn’t have been as well-chosen as yours, lol. “I am dirt but I can be / A home for wayward hungry seeds” - perfect for the growth idea! :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I’ve got a perfect song that Poison Ivy would sing at midnight on New Year Day, “I’m walking after midnight” by Patsy Cline! Happy New Year @MissInkBlot, hope 2020 will be a great year for you.

7 Likes

can totally imagine Ivy holding her forehead, closing her eyes for a moment

life is such a wonderful waste of time, I want to spend it with you 
 if you don’t mind

7 Likes

Anything by Bush.

cuz, y’know

6 Likes

Kiteman is prolly listening to Alice Cooper’s “Poison” :grin:

But what is Ivy listening to?

I’m thinking something environmentalist. Something with a crack in faith in humanity.

I’m putting Julian Lennon’s “Saltwater” on her playlist.

6 Likes

this Is a tough one!

The Beatles- and I love her

Listen CLOSELY!

7 Likes

Oooooh I love this one
 Here are my picks! :poisonivy_hqas:

Alice Cooper - Poison (personal favorite for this mix)
Seal - Kiss From a Rose (so close but so far!)
Lita Ford - Shot of Poison
The Coasters - Poison Ivy (talk about literal)

8 Likes

For some reason, “Stupid Girl” by Garbage comes to mind.

I don’t know why (as Ivy is incredibly intelligent), it just did.

mumbles to himself “Look, I have a pony. Neigh
”

2 Likes

Stopping in to thank you all for your shared songs and wish everyone a Happy New Year’s!
I’ll be back to respond to everyone tomorrow, but until then, leaving this one, too, since @Applejack’s list brought one of my favorite songs to mind (with “rose” in the title). :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@MissInkBlot I have a question, when did you first come up with Mixtape Monday? I’ve been looking forward to it each week! Have you done one for Mr. Freeze yet? I got a good song for him! :slightly_smiling_face::radio::notes:

4 Likes

@Reaganfan78 - Happy to see Patsy Cline make it to the list again! I love how my brain, upon hearing it, said: “boy, that’s swanky. I love it!” After watching the movie clip we spoke of earlier, I can see Poison Ivy listening to that, certainly! Ooh, and thank you for the kind New Year’s wishes - the same to you! :slight_smile:

As for one for Mr. Freeze, we’ve not done one for him yet, but will definitely take that under consideration for ya. :wink: I can’t recall when exactly the idea popped into mind, actually, but I’ll have to go back and check (it’s part of my reminiscing about the great 2019 we’ve had with the DC community :heart:). We’re ecstatic to hear you look forward to MTM as much as we do every week, though - there’s something special about how much you can learn about others through the music they like, so this helps us learn all the more about all of you. :heart_eyes:

@manifest - that’s lovely! I think what I like most about that is, indeed, the excerpt you shared from the lyrics. It gives off the same feeling of an article I once read about someone interested in finding someone they can be alone with
 together. Because they like solitude, just
 not completely alone, so they want someone they can feel as if they’re in solitude with. A strange, but interesting concept, similar to how the idea of life being a waste of time (but an exquisitely wonderful one), hits me. I really, really like this. Thank you so much for sharing!

@Vroom - lol, ah, yes! Any favorites (songs, albums, whichever) by Bush you have in mind? “Stupid Girl” ended up being just as good a choice too, in my book, actually. After all, while someone might be intelligent, their own opinions of themselves, especially if this were on her own playlist, often differs dramatically based on what they’re experiencing or struggling with
 even when it’s a 180 degree difference from what we, in the end, actually choose to display (like blasting The Offspring’s “Self-Esteem” through the house, for instance lol). Have you experienced a similar dichotomy?

@Pow-Pow - Was listening to “Poison” not long ago, actually, and the very same thing came to mind. :stuck_out_tongue: But the song that you decided on is so very lovely. There’s something about reaching into the depths of humanity/mankind - what it is, what it does, what it feels, and, well, all the things that happen which it can’t control
 and coming out the other side of that journey with that crack of faith. “We are a rock revolving / Around a golden sun / We are a billion children rolled into one” 
 it’s so beautiful! Thank you. :slight_smile:

@AnonymousBB - Tough, indeed, for me, too! But the decision was well worth it there - you’re right, that IS something you have to listen closely to - and many times, to dissect it, the background, the tempo, the lyrics, the overall feel. Besides being a very pretty, ethereal song, I like how deep it takes you on an emotional level with so few words. Did you have a favorite portion of it, too?

@Applejack - Such a fantastic range to choose from! :hushed: I’ve always been a fan of “Kiss from a Rose,” and Alice Cooper’s, “Poison,” but the others were new for me! The Coaster’s are going to have me tapping my toe for the rest of the day, I fear. :stuck_out_tongue: So good! And Lita Ford’s going to have to go on the “put on repeat” list. Though, going through her other songs, she actually has quite a few that would apply, methinks. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thankyou @MissInkBlot, :slightly_smiling_face: Want to hear a fun little trivia? The Patsy Cline clip I posted was from the show, “Alfred Godfrey’s talent scout” It was like today show America got talent.
Well to be on the show you needed talent scout, and Patsy wanted to to be on the show, so she had her mother (At the time family members can’t be a talent scout to promote their family members) as talent scout! They somehow got away with it. The show was film in January 1957, The Producer of a show told Cline she’s not to wear the cowgirl outfit and wanted her to sing ‘Walking after midnight.’ Cline at first refuse and really didn’t want to and she had other song in mind which wasn’t a hit, but later agree. So when she came on the air she came out really strong like you see in the clip! (I call her Judy Garland of Country music). After she was done singing the crowd went wild, Godfrey jokely said to them, “Calm down before you give yourself a heart attack” And he said to Cline he think that song will be a hit, Cline who was thrill by the reaction said she hope so. As it turns out she won that night on the show and Walking After Midnight was finally her first big hit! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This is a really fun thread idea, @MissInkBlot! I’ve never clicked inside the title before but I’m glad I did!

My vision of Poison Ivy as a character is a very earthy, flirty, and spunky ginger (kind of like me :relaxed:) so one of my all time favorite songs would be perfect: Time of The Season by The Zombies.

Ivy also has an incredibly independent spirit and the song Fall in Line by Christina Aguilera and Demi Lovato would be killer for her feistier revenge scenes.

5 Likes

@MissInkBlot

I would say my favorite portion is all of it! I absolutely love this song!

5 Likes

“Kiss from A Rose” is a fine song, but I find U2’s “Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me” to be the superior song from the Batman Forever soundtrack.

@MissInkBlot No dichotomies, but speaking of The Offspring, my brother used to blast “Self-Esteem” and “Keep 'Em Seperated” through the house when he was in his teens and I in my pre-teens. That was when the 'rents were out, of course. Fun times and good tunes.

5 Likes