šŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: What Song Reminds You of Themyscira? šŸŽ¶

@TravisMorgan - :hushed: I canā€™t believe I forgot about that song! Listening to it now takes me back to that moment when I first heard it quite a few years ago, and thereā€™s a comment on that video that made me nod knowingly, too: ā€œIā€™m pretty sure the heaven sounds like this.ā€ Itā€™s too splendid a rendition to not associate with paradise, I agree! :heart_eyes:

@capo-mage - Oh my, thatā€™s such a beautiful song to come to mind! I like that it has the ability to not only transport the listener not only to a different place, as this theme touches on, but a different time, as well, interestingly enough. And, Iā€™m always surprised by how the tone of the song can differ so from its lyricsā€¦ while I can certainly relate to the words, itā€™s strange how soothing the song is, otherwise. It has the same effect on the listener as the song describes watching the tide to have. :slight_smile: Queenā€™s song fits well, even from its title! but when it comes to choosing one of the two, which do you like best, in general, if either?

@MisfitMarvel - All things Wonder Woman! :slight_smile: I loved the assortment shared, @MisfitMarvel, thank you! The first song provided itā€™s own nice dose of nostalgia, but I like how you paired it with some of the newer songs available. At first, I thought ā€œWrathā€ would end up being my favorite of the two, but itā€™s hard to choose between that and ā€œAmazons of Themyscira.ā€ I canā€™t help but admit that Iā€™m glad I donā€™t have to, though. :stuck_out_tongue: Did you find yourself drawn more to the instrumental songs this week? And since you shared more than one, did you have a favorite?

Iā€™ll be finishing up responding tomorrow, but wanted to share a few today while around. :heart:
Thank you all for providing so many great choices to add!

3 Likes

@MissInkBlot

I love a lot of movie music, but kind of feel with Wonder Woman and Aquaman the DC movies are starting to find their voice with Rupert-Gregson Williams as the composer. I have always loved the original New Original Wonder Woman theme-- later variations just try too hard.

The truth is, I went looking for that and Wonder Womanā€™s Wrath, where Gregson-Williams uses his themes and the Hans Zimmer-Junkie XL theme Batman-Superman to great affect. And then a saw a track with Themyscira in the title and knew it needed to come along, too.

2 Likes

Otis Redding: sitting on the dock of the bay.

1 Like

@Nok - Lovely choice, @Nok! Having grown up in a household where Guns Nā€™ Roses was played often, that brought a smile. I like that itā€™s one you can have fun with, in this case, with my wanting to say itā€™s a fitting song (that is some very green grass, and alas, its inhabitants are, indeed, gorgeous), with an equally fitting title! :wink: But that aside, your explanationā€™s wonderful, too. I originally thought of this theme from my own perspective and what it would be like to visit, but at your prompting, I really like adopting what it wouldā€™ve been like for Steve, too. What a breath of fresh air it mustā€™ve been to be able to visit such a peaceful place!

@nu52 - Thatā€™s such a pretty song! Itā€™s new for me, so it was nice to be able to close my eyes and listen to it with fresh ears. The lyrics are special, and doubly interesting considering the theme, since title aside, sheā€™s saying sheā€™s not Wonder Woman. I like that about it, though - it keeps it centered in this world. I love your display picture, as well, by the way! :smiley:

@ffranks.11360 - Well, that was unexpected! Iā€™ve not been following Britney as of late, so I was surprised to see that video (bet they had a blast making it - it looks like fun!). Since you said it wasnā€™t really your pick, do you want me to leave it off the final playlist for tomorrow when I add ā€œCherry Bombā€? :stuck_out_tongue: Adding The Runaways to the list is a given - when it comes to them, who can say no? :slight_smile:

@ralphsix - Ooh, classic loveliness, right there! Listening to it takes me right to the middle of the ocean, being rocked by the waves. Thereā€™s something about what youā€™re being told in that songā€¦ the reassurance that all will be okay. Itā€™s not just a great accompaniment to take with you when youā€™re able to get away from it all for a while, but a good song to listen to for the day-to-day of life. :heart:

@AnonymousBB - My goodness, that songā€™s as peaceful as its title describes. There are some songs like this that Iā€™ve heard in passing over the years and it takes me a long time to hear them again, but, whenever I do, it feels as if the reason itā€™s been so long is because I didnā€™t need to hear again it until a particular time. Thatā€™s the feeling I get from that. :slight_smile: Was there a specific portion of the lyrics that made you think of it, or just the general feeling that the song gives?

@TheDCCrew - Oh my, thatā€™s a post chock-full of new experiences. From SYML giving us an ethereal take on the well-known ā€œMr. Sandman,ā€ To Godspeed You! Black Emperorā€™s atmospheric venture to another world (that reminded me a bit of Pixies, actually), and 2WEIā€™s surprising cover of ā€œIn the End.ā€ Wow! Those were all new songs for me, so Iā€™m both intrigued by them, and your reasoning. What about them connected so well to Themyscira for you? They gave me an impression similar to the OST shared above from the Wonder Woman movie, so Iā€™m curious if you were moving within a similar mindset when choosing yours. :hushed:

@MisfitMarvel - Thatā€™s the way it should be, isnā€™t it? Being able to bring a song you didnā€™t expect to initally find, along for the ride. :slight_smile: I think I see what you mean when comparing the two types of themes/OST songs, and will have to take another listen at the later variations of the original theme mentioned for a closer look. I agree, either way, about Gregson-Williamsā€¦ wow, the talent there just jumps out at you, undeniable, and piercing in intensity and emotion. Iā€™m so glad you shared your choices!

@capo-mage - Ah, I can see that being fav, definitely. Same here, I think, of the two, though each is special in their own way and how they relate this week. Thank you for sharing Otis with us. Thatā€™s going to be on my listen list again tonight. Similar to what I said above, I think itā€™s one of those songs that seems to show up just when you need it. :slight_smile:

Sending an excited ā€œWelcome to Mixtape Monday!ā€ to our new participants from the past few weeks - itā€™s a joy to have you, and we thank you all for making this weekly event so much fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Youā€™re so right. Thereā€™s been so many times I was down & out & a song came on unplanned & just brought me back almost instantly. Iā€™m right with u on the GNR playing in the house growing up. Appetite for destruction is in my top 20 probably 10 of all times. My Michelle & itā€™s so easy are my top 2. I remember being at my friends house in 5th grade & he said this new band Guns & Roses has an album coming out in a month. It was 1 of those old metal mags. The day it released he bought it & we sat & listened to it & I knew I was hearing something iconic. Never dreamed they would reach such heights. I always tell him, youā€™re credited for introducing me to one of my favorite albums ever. We still listen to it together all the time.

2 Likes

Edwin McCain: Iā€™ll be
It makes me think of how WW and Hippolyta mustā€™ve felt when Diana left Themiscyra
Bad Wolves: Zombie
It seems like Diā€™s reaction to humanityā€™s capacity for hate
Lifehouse: The First Time
WWā€™s reaction, emotionally, to a romantic relationship.
Switchfoot: Meant to live
Diana as a child, berated by the fact that she is treated like a princess, and not a person

1 Like

Also, next week can we please do JSA? I have a lot of Ideas, and I woud love to do them, but I want to wait until yours is over.

1 Like

@capo-mage - Iā€™m so glad others had a similar experience with GNRā€¦ as a bass player, my dad loves them, and other bands within the same sound space, so it was, and still is common to hear the songs you mentioned playing somewhere in the house when heā€™s around, lol. Your shared memory really shows how time can bring about such unexpected surprises, but that sometimes, as with your knowing you were hearing something iconic, we can know when weā€™ve just experienced something with the power to have a profound effect on history. :stuck_out_tongue: I appreciate your describing your experience for us! Itā€™s what makes being able to spend time chatting about music on threads like this all the more enriching for me, and I hope thatā€™s true for you, and everyone else, too. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Maxie_Spitlick - Wow, that list feels like you have access to my personal playlist. :hushed: You know, Iā€™ve really enjoyed how everyoneā€™s tackled this weekā€™s theme from such interesting starting points. Yours, for example, go through an assortment of feelings, experiences, and moments that werenā€™t even in mind for me, since I was preoccupied with superficial thoughts of palm trees and sand. :stuck_out_tongue: I love your rationale for each of your choices, however, and really enjoyed revisiting those songs. The only one I hadnā€™t heard before was ā€œZombie,ā€ and I must say, it had quite the effect on me (on par, with how, say, Seetherā€™s ā€œFine Again,ā€ hit me when I first heard it - like electricity, an instant emotional connection). Thank you so much for taking the time to share each of them!

About JSA, we wouldnā€™t be able to do that next week because we have some themes already planned, but we love special requests, so Iā€™ll certainly save your suggestion for a week in the near future! In the meantime, if youā€™d like to share your choices, threads like this one might strike your fancy, too! :grinning:

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Thatā€™s so cool that u & your dad both play bass. It is crazy how things can go from hearing about a band from LA new on the scene, then fast forwarding to where they become legends & strongholds of pop culture. Sharing the experience makes it just that much cooler. From A to B is such a fun ride. I actually did a music session yesterday for about 2hrs. I do that at least once a wk. I saw for the 1st x a new category on my amazon music app & it was the songs u listened to the most in 2019. Littered with GNR, Talking Heads, The Cars, Steely Dan, Lesley Gore ( you donā€™t own me ) I canā€™t help but to think of the scene in Suicide Squad when they approach Harleyā€™s cell & itā€™s playing while sheā€™s swinging from the sheets of her bed. Notorious B.IG., & a lot of 80ā€™s music. Cyndi Lauper she bop never gets old. One last connection to DC. This must be the place by Talking Heads is one of my all time favorite songs. I couldnā€™t even watch the scene in Titans when they arrived at the tower in San Fran b/c I had to sing along the whole time. I have to go back & rewatch it on mute sometime cuz I canā€™t pay attention when itā€™s playing in that scene.

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment(s). I tried to not be superficial, glad it worked.
Also, if we ever do JSA, could you tag me, please?

1 Like

@capo-mage - Ah, yes! What you describeā€™s the good version of ā€œlife comes at ya fast.ā€ :stuck_out_tongue: By music session, do you mean one where you perform, or a listening session? If the latter, that sounds similar to what mine will be tonight. Iā€™ll keep those you mentioned in mind, too, though in our house, itā€™s Talking Headsā€™ ā€œOnce in a Lifetimeā€ thatā€™s our fav. :wink:

@Maxie_Spitlick - Youā€™re welcome! And of course, Iā€™d be more than happy to! :slight_smile: Thank you for asking about that, too - I need to for this weekā€™s thread, too, which is also a special request, by our fellow member, @Reaganfan78! :smiley:

2 Likes

I meant listening but I do play a little guitar but more drums. I would rank those last tho as songwriting is probably my best area in the music world. I listen to the whole stop making sense album every time I do a listening session. Also, the live concert stop making sense Iā€™ve probably watched 40xs +. Thereā€™s not a single bad song including Weymouth & Frantz.s Tom Tom club top ten hit genius of love. Unbelievable show. David Byrne has one of my favorite soothing voices ever. I just sit in awe when I watch that performance.

1 Like

And she was might be the only song missing from that show that could possibly make it better for me.

1 Like

@capo-mage - Ah, there goes my drum envy. :stuck_out_tongue: Wish I could play, but trying to get my foot to cooperate with my hands never works out well, lol. Itā€™s so good being able to hear about how you appreciate the music that you like. The excitementā€™s palpable, and as appreciated as the songs and bands shared, themselves! Thank you for giving a glimpse into that part of your life. :slight_smile:

1 Like

U bet. Thank u for your interest. As of now, Iā€™m beyond out of practice. My friend can pick up any instrument, even if heā€™s never touched it, & play it instantly, itā€™s so unfair. Heā€™s adopted, but his dads a multimillionaire. He moved to his moms in a different state (divorced & obviously a millionaire herself) & he had all the instruments & was teaching me. I havenā€™t been able to get on a kit or a guitar since. Iā€™ve got a cheap acoustic that I got years ago. Not the same w/o an amp or an electric.

1 Like