🎶 Mixtape Monday: What Song Makes You Check for Red Skies? 🎶

Hello, DC Family!

:notes: Mixtape Monday :notes: has arrived, and with it comes a new playlist for your listening pleasure!

• “The Flash Theme,” by Blake Neely
  • “Can’t Pretend,” by Tom Odell
  • “Save Me,” by Remy Zero (Smallville Theme Song)
  • “Supergirl Theme,” by Blake Neely
  • “Journey (Ready To Fly),” by Natasha Blume
  • “Harnessing Anger,” by Blake Neely (from Supergirl)
  • “Opening Titles,” by Rob Lane (from John Adams)

This Week’s Theme:
What Song Makes You Check for Red Skies?

Take warning, for the skies are red this morning, and as our brilliant Crisis On Infinite Clubs members have been discussing, that’s a sign something’s gone awry and needs fixing! :hammer_and_wrench:

Have a song you like that warns of oncoming trouble? Or one so ominous, it sends a shiver down your spine and makes you wanna check to ensure the sky’s not gone red outside your window, too? Let us know what comes to mind in the comments below!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

7 Likes

To help out, I’ll give you a few examples of where you can go with this week’s theme:

I’m going to be Captain Obvious this week with Status Quo’s “Red Sky,” because noting the obvious has its place, too, and I like how the song’s tempo juxtaposes the danger described: “I had a red sky behind me, I had the bad guys on my tail…” :notes:

An example of something that give me the willies is Clint Mansell’s “Lux Aeterna” from Requiem for a Dream. It gives the impression something’s about to go down… and that whatever it is ain’t good. :cold_sweat:

4 Likes

Red Lights, by Tiesto.

It has “red” in the title, and a lyric of “We’re going to make it now.”, which conveys a sense of optimism , so I’d say it works. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Vroom - and I’d agree with you - I like where you decided to go with this week’s theme! Tiesto’s always great for a good pick-me-up. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When I think of Red Sky, I’d think of Krypton theme from the classic Superman film. :grinning:

3 Likes

This was a tough one.

Depeche Mode’s “Two Minute Warning” felt like a good choice, I also considered Depeche Mode’s Pimpf for it\s unsettling qualities, and a few others but ended up with Clem Snide’s “The Sound of German Hip-Hop”.

It capture’s something terrible in an unavoidable apocalypse and wraps it in an eerie hopeless beauty. There is that element of hoping for your heroes to know what to do. There are also two lines that made me think of being caught in that antimatter wave:

“All my life I’ve never known a moment quite so still.
Like space that’s being emptied at the same time that it’s filled.”

1 Like

Creedence Clearwater revival- bad moon rising
The Animals- house of the rising sun

Wish we could do this more often:sob: I love mixtape Monday’s!

2 Likes

I mean, really…

4 Likes

@ralphsix Oh cool, the song REM did for Independence Day. :wink:

@MissInkBlot I loves me some Tiesto. After suggesting Red Lights, I listened to it about 10 times in a row. Turns out, its a good work motivation song.

1 Like

For the crisis. I made this choice cause when Cornell says no one feels like you anymore- means different heroes an villains from multiple earths and multiple earths appearing, nothing feels right anymore as skies turn red, everything falls apart with arrival of anti monitor that destroys those universes.

1 Like

The Killers - Run for Cover

2 Likes

Did Independence Day have red skies? They totally should have had red skies.

2 Likes

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons

It may have lines like, “This is it, the apocalypse,” but it certainly makes the end of the world sound pretty awesome

5 Likes

No, just skies filled with 15 mile wide, city vaporizing, Destroyer-class spaceships.

Along with Mary McDonnell. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh that’s the song I was gonna say! That is a great song and imagine dragons is the best! I agree with you.

1 Like

can’t touch that Requiem theme, that film is just oh my god

this one is the moment the red sky dissipates, ominous but redemptive

3 Likes

Bravo. :clap:

1 Like

The Ballad of Barry Allen by Jim’s Big Ego

4 Likes

@Lincolnfan78 - Ohh, such good memories of that. It’s such a beautifully crafted piece… and while me a bit of a 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe, it’s in something of a happier way, rather than the ominous way 2001’s does. I love it - you have such great taste! :slight_smile: Do you like that movie’s entire soundtrack of songs equally, or is that a favorite for you?

@Pow-Pow - Your explanation of the reasoning behind your choice is lovely - thank you for putting so much thought into it! I’d never heard the song you chose, but wow, it’s so fitting. Those lyrics - so poetic, and with a depth I can’t come close to describing. That song managed to remind me of three things - the moment in Watchmen when everything goes kaboom, Gary Jules’ “Mad World” from Donnie Darko (on a lyrical level), and JOE 90’s “Drive” from the show “Six Feet Under” (as far as composition goes). That’s a great final choice, though I hope you don’t mind my adding both that you mentioned to the list!

@Anonymousbluebeetle - Aww, I’m so happy you like Mixtape Monday as much as you do! It’s been a lot of fun for me, too… there were quite a few songs on my personal playlist I’d not heard in a while, and looking for a good one each week has me re-discovering some goodies! Speaking of goodies, though, yours certainly match! And, one thing’s for sure, if the apocalypse hits, I’m going to have to travel around with all of you. We’d have some of the most upbeat songs imaginable to endure the aftermath to! :slight_smile: “House of the Rising Sun,” in particular, has me wanting to listen to “Freebird,” now, lol.

@ralphsix - Ooh, how apropos! :slight_smile: I love when songs are open in their message like that (for instance, after listening to that one, it made me check out Tokio Hotel’s “Final Day” as they seem to be on a similar wavelength, lyrically). What I like so much about that song’s message is that the chorus goes into it being the end of the world, but the “as we know it” feels like it decreases the finality of it… almost making the words mean the opposite of what they do at face value. After all, the world, itself, wouldn’t end 100%… we’ll just have to get to know it in a different way than we’re used to. In which case, maybe it’s easier to feel fine about it because it’s just change, and not full obliteration? For those of us introverts who like “The Sound of Silence,” some time alone’s hard to feel badly about, anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Vroom - Isn’t it, though? That song’s going to have to go on both my workout playlist, in addition to this one. :slight_smile:

@Pollster - Yikes, how in the world did I miss Nonpoint? Songs like that are right up my alley, so I’m thankful you shared it! That song sounds like another I’ve heard but I can’t recall off the top of my head. I’ll add if it I can remember later on, but in the meantime, I like how it fits! For me, the chaotic aspect of the background instruments goes hand in hand with the title, and the lyrics are great for developing the idea of opposite sides going against each other, in the song’s case: sister vs brother, peace vs war, rich vs poor, bed vs floor, wall vs door. So much dualism present, especially in cases like this where good and evil are at odds. I like your choice. :slight_smile:

@Nok - Ohhh, yes, how did I forget about “Black Hole Sun”? That one’s always a favorite. Thank you so much for sharing it, as well as taking the time to add the helpful explanation on how it applies so well. I agree! To me, the song’s always had an interesting feeling of acceptance of the terrible, oncoming inevitable (sort of like the feeling one gets during that movie that came out a few years ago called Melancholia), and such a lack of panic present in it - after seeing the Crisis episodes, do you think that feeling also applies?

@seitan - I’d not heard that song yet, but I like it already! I’m always amazed by how The Killers construct their songs, though, and love how strongly their style runs like a thread through all of them. That one sounds a lot like the others I like by them, I mean, but does such a good job addressing the topic of choice for the story it’s about. It certainly does in this case, too, because running for cover’s definitely the first thing that’d come to mind for me if the skies changed all of a sudden. :stuck_out_tongue: Did you have a favorite section of lyrics, btw? It doesn’t have to apply to this week’s theme; mine is their taking time to say, “Don’t be afraid of the fear, that’s a played out trap, man.”

@arkhamassassin - Awww, that’s another favorite, yes! I concur, the lyrics are perfect… and even the official music video is pretty applicable, I think, for reasons similar to what @Pow-Pow describes above regarding hoping the heroes know what to do. But for your song, I think it’s from the perspective of the heroes, themselves, getting ready to fight against what’s coming, and their having the mindset that they’re capable of doing so adequately, regardless of what the problem it, or who’s/what’s causing it. Great chocie!

@manifest - Right? Oh gosh, just thinking of that movie does me in in a terrible way. >,< We must be on the same wavelength, however, because when trying to choose a song, besides some of the songs from Telltale’s “Walking Dead” series, “The Last of Us” was what I immediately thought of, too. :hushed: Listening through them made me go on a tangent for similar, as it reminded me of 28 Weeks Later’s “In the House - In a Heartbeat” by John Murphy during the suspenseful parts of the game. In call cases, that game’s soundtrack is masterfully done, so I’m glad it got included! The last half’s especially pretty and does definitely inspire hope, but you describe it better than I could: “ominous but redemptive.” Yes! :slight_smile:

@Beagle - To say that’s an appropriate song’s an understatement - it fits on many levels, from the obvious, to the more hidden. This was a new one for me, too, but I adore it upon first listen. The singer’s method of storytelling is a nice change from what you usually get with songs, and feels reminiscent of Talking Head’s “Once in a Lifetime,” and perhaps a little Weezer, but on its own, very special level, in it own, special way. What made you think of it when choosing?

9 Likes