🎶 Mixtape Monday: What Are Your Favorite Holiday Songs? 🎶

Happy Holidays, everyone! :slight_smile:

With your help, we have yet with another :notes: Mixtape Monday :notes: playlist to share:

• “Remember Me,” by Anadel
  • “Ashokan Farewell,” by Jay Ungar (The Civil War OST)
  • “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again,” by Andrew Lloyd Webber (The Phantom of the Opera OST)
  • The Flash TV Series Theme (1990) by Danny Elfman
  • “Angel,” by Sarah McLachlan
  • “Die and Live Forever,” by Air Supply
  • “Some Die Young,” by Laleh
  • “My Immortal,” by Evanescence
  • “We Will Rock You,” by Queen
  • “Sweet Dreams (Of You),” by Patsy Cline
  • “Wish You Were Here,” by Pink Floyd
  • “Every Breath You Take,” by The Police
  • “Wind of Change,” by Scorpions
  • …plus some superb runner-ups from @Pow-Pow’s poll, if you’re interested!

This Week’s Theme:
What Are Your Favorite Holiday Songs?

We at DC would like to send you the warmest of Seasons Greetings this year, and hope the holidays have been going well for you so far! To get us all into the spirit, we want to know: what are your favorite holiday songs?

This week’s theme is pretty open so while you can share songs that are, in some way, related to the DC Universe, you don’t have to. As long as they’re related to the holidays, they’re fine to choose. We look forward to seeing which tunes you gift to us in the comments below! :christmas_tree:

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

5 Likes

Fair warning: I love the holidays, so below’s post is a bit excessive. :stuck_out_tongue: Should I go with the oldie but goodie in “Christmas with the Joker,” by Shirley Walker (feat. Mark Hamill)?

Too much? :joker_hv_5: Fine, fine! :stuck_out_tongue:

Since Batman Returns is on my holiday watchlist, I’m going to share a favorite song from its OST, called “The Children’s Hour.” :batman_hv_5: Removing the song away from its initial context, what I love about it is that the music box bit at the beginning makes me think of this scene… Picture it (aka: humor me): snow’s falling outside and children wake up, looking around at each other excitedly before quietly tip-toeing down stocking-lined stairs. :socks:

You think they’re down there to catch Santa eating the milk and cookies they left out for him, but as the ominous music begins, you find that nope, not only did they go down there to eat them themselves, but their plan is to open presents early, and they brought tape to tape back the boxes so their parents won’t know. :gift: They figure the new naughty list tally begins in January… little do they know it’s from Dec 24-Dec 24th, and not Jan 1-Jan 1st. :shushing_face:

Okay, that was a horrible mini-story to gift all of you with, but at least the song’s not (can you ever go wrong with Elfman?). :slight_smile: Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s favs! :heart:

6 Likes
2 Likes

This is my personal favorite Christmas song, I sing this all the time at home or church, So here’s ‘Away in the Manger’ By Joey + Rory.:slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s another Christmas song I enjoy, here Silver Bells by Martina McBride. I have to admit that I could post so many Christmas songs on here! :grinning::christmas_tree::penguin::santa:

1 Like

I like “O Holy Night” in the original Klingon:

1 Like

One of my absolute favorites:

1 Like

Wonderful Christmas- Paul McCartney

1 Like

ᴵ ᵈᵒⁿ’ᵗ ʳᵉᵃˡˡʸ ˡᶦᵏᵉ ᶜʰʳᶦˢᵗᵐᵃˢ
Mud - Lonely this Christmas

@ralphsix - I like it! Both the video, and the song, itself. Very catchy, and I love how it’s positioned from such an unexpected perspective. Reminds me of the Yule Log they sometimes show on tv with the puppies and kittens, lol. :laughing:

@Lincolnfan78 - aww, I can see why you’d sing the first song so often! This version’s particularly pretty in the way the instruments accompany their voices so beautifully! I’d not heard Martina’s version of Silver Bells, but it’s such a joy! When choosing what to share, what stands out most for you - the specific artist(s) doing the singing, or just the songs themselves?

@AlexanderKnox - now, that’s one to write home about :hushed: It’s not often I get to appreciate opera, so I thank you for sharing that with us. It’s delightful in its power - Elīna’s fantastic!

@Vroom - That’s positively glorious… and if that’s how “Deck the Halls” turned out, I need to find out what other holiday songs have been done (edits after going to check: Wow, do I love “We Three Kings”! I’m amazed you were able to choose a favorite by them, they’re all so good! :stuck_out_tongue:).

I’ll be back to finish up with listening to yours tomorrow, @Pollster, @Anonymousbluebeetle, and @seitan, but wanted to take the time to thank all of you for your shares. I couldn’t think of a better community to spend the holidays with! :partying_face:

4 Likes

@MissInkBlot Should you get the chance to do so, see Mannheim Steamroller in concert. I saw them in 2004, and it was fantastic!

They had a huge Christmas village on display, people dressed up as nutcrackers and toy soldiers and snow (the fake kind) was falling from above. It was the absolute BEST that you could ask for from a Christmas themed concert.

1 Like

@Pollster - That’s quite the list you have there… of course, the good thing’s that the songs shared in jest were just as good as the serious one! No kidding, I used to sing this as a kid, so, the last thing I have is an aversion to a good Jingle Cats Medley. :wink: “My Favorite Things” will always be lovely, and unfortunately, I’m stuck wanting Hot Chocolate right now, but I have to say I had no idea Tom Hanks made that song… he’s a source of surprises, isn’t he? :hushed:

@Anonymousbluebeetle - That’s always a lovely addition to add to one’s playlist! Thank you for sharing it with us all; it describes to a T exactly what I hope you’re all having! A wonderful time with your friends, families, and, dare I say… any possible arch nemeses, alike! :stuck_out_tongue:

@seitan - Aww, that’s a pretty one, too, despite how sad it is (I’m all for a cold Christmas, but not a lonely one). I’m sorry you don’t really like Christmas, in general, and can completely understand, as life’s ups and downs have me disliking my share of holidays, too. To cure the loneliness factor, if it’s a factor you’re dealing with, I hope knowing we’re all here for you is a comfort! :hugs: :heart:

@Vroom - ohhh, I’ve got to make sure to put, and keep that on my To Do list, definitely (I’m not big on concerts, but that, I’d go all out for. Just from your description alone, it sounds like an incredible experience). Along with looking forward to getting a chance to see them, I really hope you get the chance to go to another one sometime soon, too! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@MissInkBlot Funny you should say that, as Mannheim will be in my neck of the woods sometime in the next week or two. I’m not going, but it’s nice to see them hit the local scene again.

I’d jump at the chance to see them again, but really only before Christmas. Seeing them after strikes me as a tad anti-climactic, as they serve as a better (and excellent) lead-in to the holiday, rather than as an exit from it.

Christmas song. My favorite one is fairytale of new york by The Pogues, but that might not fully pass community guidelines.

Sooo… I don’t know… Chiron Beta Prime? :joy:

Hi @MissInkBlot, your comment was meant alot, as for your question that is a good hard one! When it comes to the music tune I do like singing along with the ones I know. So I gotta go with the music. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Vroom - ah, that’s a good point. I plan to take a listen to their other songs, and might go to a regular concert to build up for a Christmas one, so I see what you mean. I’d be glad they’re showing up locally, too, though. I know my share of others who’d love a performance like theirs so the more exposure, the better! :heart_eyes:

@Pow-Pow - I love it! Well, the one in the video… the warning about the other mentioned had me hesitantly looking up the lyrics. :laughing: And now that I’ve listened to it, wow, I really like that, too! Lyrically, not at for the (Forum Guideline) faint of heart, I agree, but still quite pretty! The background music, in particular, brings back good memories of traveling abroad. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Lincolnfan78 - I’m so with you on that… I’ll follow a song wherever it goes, buoyed by the exciting chance to find a new cover of it I love. And I’m so glad you liked the comment! Such is the least I can do in thanks for your sharing so many lovely gems from your music collection! :slight_smile:

4 Likes