🎶 Mixtape Monday: Superman - Leviathan Rising! 🎶

Happy Mixtape Monday, DC Family!

We would like to extend a round of applause and kudos to you for last week’s choices, all of which did a wonderful job honoring our heroes, and pointing out examples of heroism, strength, and fortitude found in every corner of both in the DC Universe, and our day to day lives! :muscle:

For a full rundown of inspiring songs, check out the list below!

• “Soldier,” by Gavin Degraw
  • “Sound the Bugle,” by Bryan Adams
  • “God Bless the USA,” by Lee Greenwood
  • “Closing Credits,” by James Horner (from Glory)
  • “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” by The United States Army Field Band
  • “Onward, Christian Soldiers,” by Mahalia Jackson
  • “As History Would Have It,” by Artifex Pereo
  • “Soldier’s Things,” by Tom Waits
  • “You Will Be Remembered,” by Alter Bridge
  • “Heroes,” by David Bowie
  • “The Ballad of the Green Berets,” by SSgt. Barry Sadler
  • “When the Tigers Broke Free,” by Pink Floyd
  • “The Unknown Soldier,” by The Doors
  • “Brave Souls,” by Cozi Zuehlsdorff
  • “I Drive Your Truck,” by Lee Brice
  • “The Ballad of Ira Hayes,” by Johnny Cash
  • “America The Beautiful,” by Ray Charles
  • “MLF Lullaby,” by Tom Lehrer
  • “Send The Marines,” by Tom Lehrer
  • “Built for Speed,” by The Stray Cats
  • “The Constitution,” (from School House Rock)
  • “Indian Reservation (The Lament of the Cherokee Reservation Indian),” by Paul Revere & The Raiders
  • “I Melt with You,” by Modern English
  • “Destination Unknown,” by Missing Persons
  • “No Pictures of Dad,” by Josie Cotton
  • “The Sound of the Crowd,” by The Human League
  • “The Lebanon,” by The Human League
  • “The More I See,” by Fun Boy Three
  • “War” by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
  • “Freedom of Choice,” by Devo
  • “Human Rocket,” by Devo
  • “Everybody Wants to Rule the World,” by Tears for Fears
  • “London Calling,” by The Clash
  • “Spanish Bombs,” by The Clash
  • “American Music,” by The Blasters
  • “Stand Down Margaret,” by The Beat
  • “Don’t Sit Under The Apple Tree,” by The Andrews Sisters
  • “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy,” by The Andrews Sisters
  • “So Long, Mom (A Song for World War III),” by Tom Lehrer
  • “No Man’s Land,” by Rupert Gregson-Williams (from Wonder Woman)
  • “Evening Colors/Retreat” (played on a WWI era Wurlitzer M1894 Infantry Bugle), by Jim Steele
  • “Living in America,” by James Brown

This Week’s Theme:
Superman - Leviathan Rising!

The Superman: Leviathan Rising Special arrives on DC Universe this week, and it’s bringing troubled waters with it! Since we focused on heroes last week, we’ll shift gears to the comic’s villainous half, instead. So, tell us, musically, what comes to mind when you think of the word “Leviathan”?

Be it the DC-related organization and its founder, or Kraken-like sea creature, does the resulting song leave you with your hair standing on end? Perhaps a suspenseful piece from Aquaman immediately pops into your head, or can you feel the lower octave boom of the alternating “E-F” bass from Jaws create a ripple of shivers down your spine?

Give us a look into what theme illuminates the dark side for you this week by posting below!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

8 Likes

Since it automatically brought up PotC to my mind (and is stuck now), sharing this song:
“The Kraken,” by Hanz Zimmer (from Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest)

Since that song makes me want to travel the ocean far and wide, adding this fav, as well:

8 Likes

Oh tough one, I better read the book before adding songs.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Steppenwolf - Monster

This may be a little too on the nose for what’s going on right now, but it was released in 1969. It’s a song about America becoming a Monster.

Long Version

Short Version

7 Likes

Well, I immediately thought of an underrated Disney movie seeing that word… and there is even a track with it’s name!

“The Leviathan”, by James Newton Howard (from Atlantis: The Lost Empire)

And while this one is a little more upbeat and not as menacing as we’re maybe “wanting” for this week’s theme, (and me once again going with an “on the nose” title), I figure it’d be a good one to suggest:
“Leviathan”, by Volbeat

6 Likes

I’m have to go with Jonathan Coulton - I Crush Everything.

Following up with Ye Banished Privateers - Ship is Sinking

6 Likes

Oh my @MissInkBlot. Those PotC themes also did come instantly to mind! In addition, I’ve got a few others now adding to those. :smile:

The first is a song that I think Superman would be thinking about (also from the band Alter Bridge :grin:). I’d also probably have white knuckles too with a leviathan trying to drag me down. And as they sing, Only the strong survive. :fearful:
(But with the strength of Superman that can be accomplished :superman_hv_4:)

Next up, also in keeping with Alter Bridge, the eeriness of this next song does have me thinking about leviathans. Especially with the start, with the way they play their instruments and the lead singers cadence in singing the first lyrics…
To the dark, To the fall. :scream: :sweat_smile:

Next, in thinking about Superman again and having hope to defeat such formidable foes that bring us down, I’d go with none other than this track (by the good band BB again :grin:). That way, at the end of the day, we know as they sing, We’ll break these chains, and wash it away. Carry me over the ground. Heavy won’t hold me down. :superman_hv_1:

Finally, what better way to remind the leviathans to not bring us down than this fun ELO track. :smile:

6 Likes

Today I read all 5 part of The Rise of Leviathan, and now just read the new release tonight, to get an idea of songs or music to pick. Hope you like them @MissInkBlot. :slightly_smiling_face:

This is for when the blue light appears and everyone dissapeared.

This song is for Lois and Superman’s love for each other.

This one for when Superman and Lois goes undercover.

This one is for the villain of thousand faces, blurring line on a face reminds me of Mission impossible.

And there you have it!:grinning:

Edit: I decided to add two new videos that make me think of Lois Lane and her love for Superman, hope you’ll like it.:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Hi! The first thing I thought of when I saw your picks was the Mutiny on the Bounty theme and then… :thinking: how often the Tron Sndtrk has been mysteriously popping up when I put my library on “random” lately, so let’s start w/ that! Brb w/ the other things. Dont worry there’s only 3. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Btw. This is a curveball, so I think it’s official: you ARE a sneaky one, @MissInkBlot! :star_struck: I like sneaky, tho… and a challenge, so here we go!
Fingers crossed I’m remembering correctly. If I am, this is what popped into my head. Hope there’s something you like! :facepunch:t3: Have a great week. :blue_heart: Take care.

Thought Contagion- Muse

Art of Doubt- Metric

Man of Steel- Black Francis

Ps. Came back to delete a couple that may have been too personal/off topic given what’s happening this week, but I still like them, so I won’t. Just please don’t feel obligated to interpret them. Of course, if you squint and tilt your head a little, anything could work?? :wink: Later.

7 Likes

fire

3 Likes

I think I may have used this one before, but I think it works a tad better here.

-M

6 Likes

This piece is quite apropos, as it fits the Leviathan organization worming it’s way into things, the revelation of who’s behind Leviathan himself and for when a hero tries to bring Leviathan down, only to be defeated in the process.

6 Likes

Leviathan (in it’s basic construct) is a composite of the Illuminati and Organized Crime. Operating on a global scale for a very, very long time.

Something to sets the tone. A prologue to what Leviathan is.

Baseball Furies Chase - The Warriors Soundtrack
It is just so relentless, just like Leviathan

How many have gone willingly into Leviathan and gotten what they wanted only to realize to late what they have trapped themselves into.

Champagne - Ann Margaret from the Tommy Soundtrack
Their own machinations explode in their face. If you think you can game Leviathan…you are sadly mistaken

Sanctuary - Fun Boy 3
As Leviathan has been around for centuries, it makes sense that the would co-op all sorts of social and religious institutions. Having their hand on the rudder. Doing a song in Latin, few of their members actually know what it means, but they can be consumed by the ritual.

Mirror Man - The Human League
Are things what they seem? With Leviathan, hardly ever.

There Ain’t Half Been Some Clever Bastards - Ian Dury
Over the centuries, Leviathan has certainly musty have had their proteges and groomed them for whatever purpose would suit them. Seeing and exploiting the talented is a Leviathan strong suit.

#1 Crush - Garbage
What is the most import thing to Leviathan but the commitment and fidelity of their followers. All consuming, to the point of death, if needed.

Now we get into the realities of Leviathan. Things and behaviors that are necessary.

Assassination is a tool. From the most high profile to the commonplace. It all keeps the cogs of Leviathan moving.

Man with the Golden Gun

View to a Kill

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap - Joan Jett

Warm Leatherette - The Normal

Knowledge, information, intrigue…all integral parts of what makes Leviathan tick.

Opportunities - Pet Shop Boys

Killer Queen - Queen

Situation - Yaz

Since Leviathan is truly global, it would be a pity to not recognize their global influence and operatives.

Machine brennt (Machine Burns) - Falco

Einzelhaft (Solitary confinement) - Falco

From breadlines to billions in gold, Leviathan has pulled the political and economic strings for millennia.

That’s The Way The Money Goes - M

Leviathan is the metaphorical “monster from the deep”. Seldom, if ever, seen over the centuries, but, ready to take on and destroy at a moments notice. No hesitation what so ever. They are the darkest version of an organization that operates under the principle that “the ends justify the means”.

6 Likes

If we go Ember, I would go Red Cold River.
Run run run, red cold river.
I think it is a good fit for both definitions. Rushed, angry, panicked.

Also, The deep end by crossfade

4 Likes

Ah, yes. A solid pick from the good BB as well. :sunglasses: :metal:
And Crossfade… Now that’s a band I haven’t heard in a long time. Thank you, as now that will be changed for the future. :superman_hv_4:

4 Likes

You’re welcome. I was listening to Save yourself while reading your post, which also is a good track from that album. However, I thought I would use that one later

4 Likes

Okay, in order…

The opening scene with Leviathan and Leone:

Classic James Bond song and fits Leviathan’s goal.

The scene where Lois makes fun of Clark’s acting and Clark makes a tactical error:

When Lois notices something is up and calls in someone who’s supposedly a pretty fair detective:

The morning after with Jimmy Olsen because that cat’s something he can’t explain. Also, the guitars in this song always remind me of spy movies:

Supergirl finds the message from her mother:

When Clark gets rescued:

(See what I did there?)

End credits (because, if I made movies, I’d end every movie with this song):

Thank you and goodnight.

6 Likes

To me, “Leviathan” signifies an ominous feeling. Something big is coming. And if it’s leviathan-scale big, then you know the gravity of the situation.
So…
Night on Bald Mountain (the stereotypical creepy music)
4’33” by John Cage (silence=calm before the storm)
Some of the creepier music from Metroid, Castlevania, and Resident Evil.
Any final boss theme.

5 Likes

@MissInkBlot. (sips tea)
I voted on a light saber poll here, and when the results came up I saw I was the lone vote for the white saber, and WHO should I see is the lone vote for the black saber? Does this mean you’re my nemesis now? I’ve never had one of those before—what do we do? Duel at dawn?? How does this work?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Ok, bye.
And…forgive me for veering off topic. Pretend we’re pirates! Arrrrg :pirate_flag:

6 Likes