🎶 Mixtape Monday: Superman '78 🎶

Welcome back to another exciting edition of Mixtape Monday! Last week, we put together a playlist to celebrate the start of the second season of Stargirl:

Stargirl Season Two Playlist
  • “Summertime Blues”, by Guitar Wolf
  • “House of Secrets”, by Otep
  • “All My Life”, by Foo Fighters
  • “Diamond Eyes”, by Shinedown
  • “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend”, by Carol Channing
  • “Kids in America”, by Kim Wilde
  • “Stardust”, by Nat King Cole
  • “Diamond Eyes”, by Deftones
  • “Shining Star”, by The Manhattans
  • “Summer (Where Do We Begin?)”, from Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension
  • “Sing Me Away”, by Night Ranger
  • “Evil Walks”, by AC/DC
  • “Destiny’s Force”, from Kingdom Hearts
  • “With You”, by Lila McCann
  • “Dire Wolf”, by Grateful Dead
  • “School’s Out”, by Alice Cooper
  • “Are Friends Electric?”, by The Dead Weather
  • “The Guns of Brixton”, by The Clash
**This Week's Theme: Superman '78!** =

This week, comic readers get to return to a fan-favorite world, with the release of Superman '78! If you’re looking forward to it as much as I am (and why wouldn’t you be, it has Brainiac), share your favorite songs for a soundtrack to accompany this comic, below!

I’ll kick things off with the obvious:

Due to the high volume of submissions and the limited number of hours in a day, we’ll be selecting two songs from each member, but feel free to share as many as you like!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post tracks of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the list of tunes, two from each user, collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

For our hardcore music lovers, we suggest joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob , a group created to bring all music lovers together in one place. Joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob will make sure you get notified of every playlist update, as well as offer you a custom flair and title to show off your maestro-dom!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines , the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

11 Likes
7 Likes

Honorable mention:

9 Likes

:grinning: Here’s my two Superman78 pick.

:superman:

6 Likes

Well hello there again G.L., Mixtape Mob, and everyone else. :wave: :sunglasses:

Ah, Superman '78… :superman_hv_3:

Looks like I have a couple of '70s hits for this one. :superman_hv_4:

First up, would be this tune that Clark might think about playing when talking to Lois. :clark_hv_4: :woman:

And after that… While Lois is flying with Superman, Superman might also be thinking about this tune so Lois doesn’t fall. :bird: :airplane: :superhero:

7 Likes

Still a bop 43 years later :musical_score:

7 Likes

How about some HOPEful songs?

“Carry On”, by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”, by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

9 Likes
8 Likes

I think this song by Donovan (no, not Sunshine Superman) could have double meanings for Superman and Lois, referencing both the feel of romance and the feel of flying.

(4) Catch The Wind - YouTube

5 Likes

Ah, Marvin and Tammi, the Superman and Lois of music!

5 Likes

Yay I get to share my wedding song again! :heart:

8 Likes

Spin Doctors - Jimmy Olsen’s Blues

6 Likes

What I’ll be listening to when I read Superman '78 #1 later today:

The best Superman love theme:

Also from the Donnerverse (maybe she’ll pop up in the comic? :man_shrugging:):

Fun Fact: Legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith (who composed the score for Supergirl, for the unaware) was going to score Superman: The Movie, but ultimately didn’t, with the gig going to an even greater movie music maestro, John Williams.

SN: The composer in the above Supergirl video is not Jerry Goldsmith, as he passed away in 2004.

However, the above composer and his orchestra nailed Goldsmith’s theme to the absolute letter, as it sounds exactly like The Real Deal.

Speaking of absolute legends in the world of film scoring, James Horner’s main titles theme for 1983’s Krull captures the grandeur and adventure of not only Superman in the Donnerverse, but of the DC brand as a whole:

Finally, I think we’ve all thought “I believe in you.” when it comes to the Christopher Reeve Superman.

Below, Kylie Minogue sums things up perfectly:

Also from Ms. Minogue, a tune that sums up the love between Lois and Clark/Superman:

4 Likes

I’m happy with this playlist already (it has Abba and ELO, that’s enough to make any playlist happy).
Krull has always confused me, @Vroom. I still haven’t seen it (it was a bit before my time). I think I’ve confused it in my head with Conan, and thought it was a Conan spin-off. Although according to Wikipedia there’s an urban legend that it was tied into D&D somehow, which the creator of D&D disavowed. I do like that Wikipedia gives the genre as “science fantasy swashbuckler”, which sounds amazing to me.
Update: Upon further research, the reason I thought it was a Conan spin-off is because of the film Kull the Conqueror, which released 14 years later. I feel both better knowing that, and more confused.

4 Likes

That was so great! Did you actually play that at your wedding, or was it other musicians?

3 Likes

We just played the recording :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In any respect, it was a lovely song for a wedding.

3 Likes

That must have been great! I like when people have personal elements like that in their weddings.

4 Likes

It was! I was determined to fit my superman obsession in there somehow that was elegant and actually my husband (who is not into comics or superheroes at all) had the idea which makes it even more special!

2 Likes

That does sound really special, that’s awesome! And that’s probably a better option than a glowing green ring, or a dog with a cape as the ringbearer (actually that sounds amazing).

3 Likes