đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Super Songs for the Super Sons! đŸŽ¶

Hello, Music Masters!

Summertime has a new playlist thanks to all of you, and you’ve more than ensured that it does. NOT. disappoint! With songs ranging from celebratory to reminiscent, anticipatory and nostalgic, this list encompasses the full breadth of the season and its related holidays, being well worth dancing to at the next cookout, or enjoying as we sit back on the porch swing. :sun_with_face:

Click the arrow to check out the full list of seasonal songs below!

“Fireflies,” by Owl City
“Nostalgia Locomotive,” by The Mo
“A Summer Song,” by Chad & Jeremy
“Summertime,” by Mae
“Summer Wind,” by Frank Sinatra
“The Rock Show,” by Blink-182
“Summer in the City,” by The Loving Spoonful
“Hot in the City,” by Billy Idol
“Mr. Blue Sky,” by The Electric Light Orchestra
“Sunny Afternoon,” by The Kinks
“Holiday,” by The Kings
“In the Summertime,” by Mungo Jerry
“Sunny Girlfriend,” by The Monkees
“Belly of the Whale,” by Burning Sensations
“By your Side,” by Sade
“Summer,” by Kesha
“Opening Titles,” by Rob Lane (from John Adams)
“Yankee Doodle Dandy,” by Jimmy Cagney
“America The Beautiful,” by Ray Charles
“Gonna Fly Now,” by Bill Conti (from Rocky)
“But I Burn (But Mr. Adams),” by William Daniels (from 1776)
“Here Comes Summer,” by Jerry Keller
“Es War Sommer (Here Comes Summer),” by Ralf Paulsen
“Who We Are,” by Red
“Seven Nation Army,” by The White Stripes
“R.O.C.K. In The U.S.A.,” by John Mellencamp
“Summer Madness,” by Kool and the Gang
“Summer.” by War
“Summertime Blues,” by Alan Jackson
“Long Hot Summer,” by Keith Urban
“Rain,” by Breaking Benjamin
“Close to Home,” by The Get Up Kids
“The Boys of Summer,” by The Ataris
“Return of the Super Ape,” by The Upsetters
“Loving U,” by SISTAR
“Non Photo-Blue,” by Pinback
“Viola Lee Blues,” by The Dead
“Kung,” by Phish
“Forever,” by The Malah
“Whipping Post,” by The Allman Brothers Band
“Ripple,” by Phil Lesh And Friends
“La Marseillaise,” by Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle
“Living In America,” by James Brown
“Masquerade,” by Berlin
“Smut,” by Tom Lehrer
“4th Of July,” by Soundgarden
“Summer Wine,” by Nancy & Lee
“Starlight,” by Muse
“Two Tickets to Paradise,” by Eddie Money
“Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress),” by the Hollies
“The Blackest Day,” by Lana Del Rey
“Milestones,” by Miles Davis
“Eighty-One," by Miles Davis
“Minnie,” by Miles Davis
“Venus De Milo,” by Miles Davis
“Seven Steps to Heaven," by Miles Davis
“Miles Runs The Voodoo Down," by Miles Davis
“Filles de Kilimanjaro," by Miles Davis
“Sanctuary," by Miles Davis
“I Fall In Love Too Easily," by Miles Davis
“Old Folks," by Miles Davis
“In A Silent Way / It’s About That Time," by Miles Davis
“Summer Nights,” by John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John
“Summer Night City,” by ABBA
“Weekend In New England,” by Barry Manilow
“Boys of Summer,” by Don Henley
“4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy),” by Bruce Springsteen
“King of the Night Time World,” by KISS
“Surfin’ USA,” by The Beach Boys
“Sweet Dreams + White Stripes Mashup” by Pomplamoose ft. Sarah Dugas
“History Has Its Eyes on You,” by Christopher Jackson & the Hamilton Cast (from Hamilton)

This Week’s Theme:
Super Songs for the Super Sons!

Usually, our playlists are chock full of tunes for characters who’ve already reached adulthood, with the fullness of rich backstories that lead us to find songs that address even maturer topics. This week, however, the goal’s to keep it light and easy as we celebrate the completion of our run of Adventures of the Super Sons!

Now, as mentioned before, many of you have already chosen songs for both of the Super Sons’ parents, but what would you choose for their children if you have the chance? Will you focus on songs that represent what you envision the quiet times they spend with their parents and other relatives are like? Or are you interested in finding a theme song representing their adventures together?

Show us what about the pair interests you most by sharing your song picks below! :slight_smile:

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

4 Likes

Hey, all - worry not, the response to last week’s thread is forthcoming
 but until then, for this week’s theme, because I love the first issue’s cover, in particular, those two are gonna get a good dose of the oldie but goodie: Thin Lizzy’s “The Boys Are Back In Town.” :wink: (hopefully it doesn’t get stuck in your head like it’s now stuck in mine
 :no_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:).

11 Likes

My songs are for Jon Kent and my feelings on his instant age jump.
Ramones - I Don’t Wanna Grow Up

Tom Waits - I Don’t Wanna Grow Up

5 Likes

I kind of feel like this goes without saying but I’m going to say it anyway, “My Generation” The Who.

4 Likes

Don’t worry MissInkBlot, that is a great song to get stuck in your head. :smile:

Now, looking into this weeks choices of songs for those Super Sons, there are a few that come to mind. :thinking:

First up, I thought of this song. Mainly because Damian has a way of doing it his way and seldom trying in another more friendly team manner. :sweat_smile:

Next, I thought of this song that maybe Jon would play for Damian when he doesn’t really want to admit they are good friends in the end. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Finally, this song came to mind for the two of them. Especially since the start of the song has these lyrics

:notes: When I was young I was invincible
I found myself not thinking twice
I never thought about no future
It’s just the roll of the dice
:notes:

6 Likes

@MissInkBlot First off, I wanted to tell you that I love Thin Lizzy and I love that pick. One of the greatest pop rock bands of all time

For my picks, I’ll start with songs for Damian. My favorite Damian as Robin stories were done in 2009’s volume of Batman and Robin. That comic run was heavily influenced by the 1960’s Batman series (as was the 1997 Batman & Robin movie). Also, what more light and fun than this:

Damian is a little scary, though. He’s a master of violence, a master of weapons. No one, no nation is his master:

When it comes to Jon, I feel like he’s spent a lot of time trying to live up to his father. Superman has some big, red boots to fill. It’s going to take Jon some trial and error:

I’ve really enjoyed Jon’s new adventures with the Legion of Superheroes, but he went through some rough times growing up to get there. Sometimes when you are grown, you feel that you want to go back:

For both Supersons, I feel like it was only yesterday when I was reading their debuts. Now
 they’re getting older. Keep your heads up, boys. It’s a wasteland out there:

6 Likes

Bonsoir @MissInkBlot . . . comment ça va?

Hey, interesting follow-up to the summertime vibes! Let’s see what the turntable spins for the two junior capes.

Jon & Damien (two kids out doing grown folk business):

“Hard Times” by Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters

Jon at home (Lois & Clark have great records + their eyes are always on the prize):

“The Hissing of Summer Lawns” by Joni Mitchell

“You Haven’t Done Nothin’” by Stevie Wonder

Damien at home (Alfred’s record player, Bruce’s records)

“All the Madmen” by David Bowie

“As The World Falls Down” by David Bowie

#x:white_heart:|Doomx

5 Likes

Hey @MissInkBlot!
Ill be honest—haven’t read this. I checked out the link you provided, and for whatever reasons, these are the things that popped in to my head! Please enjoy.
The World is Yours- Nas

No One Knows- Queens of the Stone Age

Ok, and then I thought of Rise Above- Black Flag. Don’t all necessarily “go” together, but lol I’ve never really minded.:sunglasses:
Take care :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Lol I actually have a playlist for them and those in their generation, but some of the songs that make me think of just these two are Satellite by Rise Against

and

Help Is On The Way by Rise Against also.

4 Likes

I haven’t read this run either. And I’m not too familiar with the characters. Tough week, I guess I settled on this for Jon:
“Be Somebody”, by Thousand Foot Krutch

and this one for Damian:
“Welcome to the Family”, by Avenged Sevenfold

4 Likes

Well, I don’t feel so bad not being familiar with this and kinda happy too because it made me check it out. The next thing I knew, I had read the Rebirth series, crossing into a Superman issue and some TeenTitan also. All of which I enjoyed. I’m not done with them just taking a break and resting my eyes. Good to see someone suggested “Cats in the Craddle”, but I’m gonna go a little broader and suggest KISS-“A World Without Heroes”, for now. As I keep reading I hope to have some other suggestions. Thanks

2 Likes

20 century boy T Rex
you’re my best friend Queen
Boys keep swinging David Bowie
where the boys are Connie Francis
Follow you follow me Genesis

3 Likes

Hello @MissInkBlot, here’s my four pick that’s based on friendship between Jon Kent (Superboy) and Damien Wayne (Robin). Hope you like it.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ – Ooh, The Ramones is a great way to start the party, isn’t it? Especially when it comes to looking for a song that really embodies youth. I think that’s what I like most about the Super Sons issues I’ve started. It’s sort of like the experience I had with Stargirl where I’ve been so used to reading or watching stories about older characters, that being able to see the world from a younger perspective is a nice change. That’s the feeling I get from the first “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up,” and its superb video! :blush: The second’s similar, but in a more wacky way, if that makes sense. Its effect hits like the feelings spoken of in our Scariest Moments in Kid’s Movies thread
 I get a “Mysterious Stranger” vibe from its sound, and the feeling of restriction the video gives. A bit like the internalized chaffing and rawness caused by arrested development (especially when looking at the size of the instrument he’s playing and how small the space he’s in is). It adds a much more serious tone to it that I’m rather fond of (but alas, that’s to be expected now when it comes to me and Waits; the Joker connection’s a fun thing to add, too, in this case). I’m liking where you went with this!

@VincesDad – Because I’m corny, my brain went, “the who, now?” and then excitedly shouted back to itself, “The Who, that’s who!” :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for adding that to the list! I couldn’t help but check out a live version of it, and it fits right in with the feeling my own song choice caused, bringing lots of high energy, but in this case, with some added reflection caused by the intriguing idea that each person singing it would essentially be stating the same thing – singing about their own generation, and perhaps harboring the same feelings about other generations as expressed in the lyrics: “People try to put us d-down (talkin’ ‘bout my generation) / Just because we get around (talkin’ ‘bout my generation) / Things they do look awful c-c-cold (talkin’ ‘bout my generation) / I hope I die before I get old (talkin’ 'bout my generation).” Food for thought AND a catchy tune! :blush:

@ajm08g – I’m happy to hear it! Found myself humming it at unexpected times, actually, so I happy to report that songs like that, and the ones you shared (which also got stuck), help make the time doing self-imposed chores go by faster, at least. :smiley:

I was really surprised to hear how your journey differed from song to song, too, by the way – the combo of songs is a great reflection of each character/situation mentioned, but the transition between each is equally fantastic. One example of what I mean is how it made me laugh to, after listening to LP, hear “why must you be such an angry young man” in the follow up song. :stuck_out_tongue: “Reach for the Sky” is my favorite, though, having never heard it before, yet having it feel so familiar. It took me forever to think of why, until I realized it’s because it sounds similar to the original song I came by on my playlist when trying to choose one this week (The Offspring’s “The Kids Aren’t Alright”, though it also gives me Sum 41 “Mr. Amsterdam” feels, too). Your choice is much better though, because it’s so downcast in final effect – it still manages to give fairly upbeat advice to live in the moment because the past isn’t worth worrying about, and you don’t know what tomorrow brings. :thinking: Somewhat related, is that the title also makes me think of Toy Story and the friendship Woody and Buzz have, lol.

@TheCosmicMoth – Aww, thank you for sharing what you did in your intro – I’m always happy to admit that it’s an honor to be in such wonderful company. There are no others I’d happily share an earbud with as we listen through the long journey that a well-crafted playlist offers! :blush:

Don’t blame you for your mentioned favorite - I can’t get enough of the Batman theme song either, so I thank you for linking to Batman and Robin (you all love eliminating all my free time don’tcha? :wink: 26 issues, here I come!). That song’s something that’s always there, beckoning at us with how catchy it is, lol. Especially in a lineup like the one you’ve presented - it’s like the kitten that gives you the “Puss in Boots” eyes and invites you in to pet the fluffy before whacking you its pins and needles claws of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club-ness. :eyes: Both the song and video are amazing there
 the disarray you feel watching it, and the stifling heat from the fire and the danger that emanates from the scene and your description are expertly weaved together.

The peace that descends upon me with “Fly” is indescribable. All I can muster to speak on is its tranquility. Indeed, to touch on your reasoning, I can’t imagine having such big shoes to fill, either, but that, and “Carousel” come together in a beautiful way to show what the internal process of working through trying to do so might be like. They give that feeling of teenage angst or what the real time, slow assembly of the puzzle pieces that make us our identities feels like in real time, you know? It’s hard to put into words. The DC Family must be trying to tell me something with all of these hits by The Who showing up on this week’s playlist. :blush: Oh, the nostalgia! You did a wonderful job this week, thank you!

@xLOVEandDoomPatrolx – Ahh, tu vas bien, et toi? :smiley: Ooh, but if you like this week’s theme, I think you’ll like what we have geared up for next week, too! After seeing some of the threads and comments that have come in over the past few weeks, it should be fun
 had a good laugh while coming up with it, at least. :eyes:

As for your songs, wow, the first one has me wishing it was Wednesday so I could watch another episode of American Soul. It. Is. Excellent, as is your explanation for it! Makes me think of kids trying to grow up too fast, lol. But, the vibe given off by “The Hissing of Summer Lawns” is exquisite, too
 the brass in it has my ears perking up in the best ways. The unique sound made me curious about the story behind it, so I looked I up, and one of the reviews of the songs struck me in how it says, “The Hissing of Summer Lawns is ultimately a great collection of pop poems with a distracting soundtrack. Read it first. Then play it.” Great way of describing it, I admit, but I completely disagree with the final opinion – on the contrary, the “distraction” is the best part about it for me. It keeps the mind wondering and working, while the singer’s voice keeps you soothed throughout. For me it aids in the deeper thought caused by your reasoning + my connecting why you chose it with the lyrics.

Put together with the likes of Stevie Wonder, and a double dose of David Bowie, too? To say my ears are delighted is an understatement! :heart: I did not expect something from Labyrinth this week, but I am not angry about it! And silly side note: speaking of summertime, your playlist is what I wish the summer felt like – warm, but actually pleasant (vs warm and rotisserie-like). :stuck_out_tongue:

@Pollster – That’s quite the coupling of songs, there! Notable gems that bring up thoughts of youth, while also being capable of taking you back to the moment you first heard them (for me, at least!). I would argue that they all fit the theme – actually, listening to them feels like playing a game of Tetris in how each one falls right into place. “Cat’s In the Cradle” has always had a mystical quality about it for me, representing the feeling of childhood innocence, while “Unfortunate Son” cuts right through the peace of it with its sound and video’s war imagery – perhaps the loss of that innocence, or the opening of one’s eyes to what the real world is like. And “Simple Man” adds its flavor in a way that sounds like a lamentation of the strife shown before it, with “Carry On My Wayward Son” reflecting on the son’s resulting state of mind in the aftermath. They all work in sync as if telling the story of man from birth, onward, for me, and I’m certainly loving the ride. :blush: Did you have a favorite?

@Razzzcat – Oh, it’s okay, MTMs are always inclusive, whether you’ve read/seen the material or not. Besides, I’m ever in awe of what our group comes up with, even in the face of not reading it yet, with the cool part being that everyone’s collective knowledge of other issues, story lines and characters is enough for all of you to do so lovely a job finding fitting songs. Such is certainly the case with your recent finds! :blush:

Been so long since I’ve heard Nas, but it’s so good to be in that headspace again – the beat, the lyrics, everything. Back when I started out reading this series, I had a similar mindset toward those two. Lots of wondering what life would be existing in a situation where you have so much access to
 well, so much. Indeed, it really did give me a “the world is yours” feeling. So many opportunities and so many opened doors at one’s fingertips. “No One Knows” resembles the song I’d play as I tried utilizing those opportunities, but also fits with my thinking of all the ways that the title applies to the situation (in this case, looking forward to seeing if my initial opinion of the two was right or wrong). As for what goes together, I like the idea of “Rise Above” being added to the overall feel. Needing to rise above restrictions as children always seemed like a theme of my childhood, especially when it came to rising above people’s/parents’ initial impressions or opinions, so considering their age range, it works for me! :stuck_out_tongue:

@Aegiey – Really? I was wondering if there was anyone who already created a playlist for those two. They’re a fun pair to consider finding songs for, so I’m intrigued by what it sounds like might be on yours! As for what you posted, a pairing of Rise Against is just what I needed for the week, with the singer’s voice having the really interesting quality of managing to come off as a mixture of their two personalities for me. Is that the effect you were going for, where both songs represented the two of them at once, or was there a song for each of them? If the latter, I’m leaning toward Damian for the first, and Jon for the second. o.o What do you think?

@LDFM – That’s okay, that’s part of why we chose it this week, to let everyone know about the series in case those who might be interested had the chance to take a look at it in their spare time. :blush: In my case, what attracted me to the story was simply thinking about what it would be like growing up in the shadows of dads like theirs, considering how much we know about their own backgrounds. I :heart: your picks, too, by the way! “Be Somebody,” alongside it’s heavy emotional hit, gives me a feel akin to listening to Smallville’s “Save Me” due to the soaring vocals in it – very appropriate! :wink: Choosing the likes of Avenged Sevenfold for Damian was perfect, too. For me, especially in this situation, they are fitting in how they harbor that tendency of starting their songs with a heavier rock sound than the rest of the song ends up eventually having – it always moves into this lighter feeling piece with auditory flourishes that are characteristic of that band, giving a “tough on the outside, soft(er) on the inside” situation. Fantastic choices!

@ejdias.95910 – Yay! I’m so glad you were able to not only enjoy the songs you came across this past week, but definitely check out the Super Sons series! How’d you end up liking the list of titles you read through? And how are your eyes doing now? Hoping they feel better and that you’re doing well! :slight_smile:

@LuciferComplex140.80394 - Oh, I like the path we’re traveling with your list of songs! It feels like “20th Century Boy” sets the foundation for their generation, while “Your My Best Friend” encompasses them as a pair. “Boys Keep Swinging” made me laugh, though, with Connie Francis and Genesis leaving me surprised. You always manage to keep me guessing with your picks, wondering what inspired them. For those last three, what is it that stood out to you about this week’s theme to make them seem like a good fit? Particularly curious about what made you shift genres/sounds like you did, due to how they differ so much. :blush:

@Reaganfan78 – Oooh, I love the heavy focus on tight friendship in your playlist! The lean toward Disney is similar to my being reminded of Toy Story earlier. “Two Brothers” stands out in making that friendship bond understood as something stronger than simple friends (because you know the depth of connection has deepened when you can call your friends family). McGraw’s “My Best Friend” is a good way to put it, perfectly explaining the sensation in his lyrics – portions like, “I don’t know where I’d be without you here with me,” are lovely! :heart: I think the song that made me think most was “Heroes and Friends” because while I’d always considered the idea of friends moving into the space of “best friend” or family, I’d never thought about one also possibly being considered a hero. Being able to find a friend you can look up to must come with its own special feeling, doesn’t it? :slight_smile: Oh, but now the song from Aladdin has me curious
 which one is Aladdin and which one is the Genie? :stuck_out_tongue:

@Pollster – Adding another response to you at the bottom for your newest post - it’s crazy how on the same page we are! Our group’s earlier songs had me thinking of Simple Plan’s “I’m Just A Kid,” so the fact that you added one from them has me pretty happy. I’m glad you added the additional commentary (I’ll have to keep this in mind for a possible week of Shazam goodness at some point in the future) - in the meantime, time to put it on repeat, now! :wink:

8 Likes

Thankyou so much @MissInkBlot! I have to say Jon Kent as Genie while Damien Wayne is Aladdin! I can really see this song would drive Damien nuts, telling Jon to stop singing it!:grin:

1 Like

Yes Thank You @MissInkBlot, I thoroughly enjoyed what I’ve read so far. I ended up finishing the 2nd series with “Rex” in one day as well. Once I started I couldn’t put it down. Pretty funny seeing Jon with a Dad bod. Can’t wait to see what next week brings.

2 Likes

@MissInkBlot

2 Likes

I totally missed this thread last week. C’est Le vie. I anxiously await this weeks topic.

2 Likes

@MissInkBlot Hey! I don’t think we got your thoughts on the “Summer/4th of July” week!

1 Like

@MissInkBlot Heya, thanks :slightly_smiling_face: I mostly saw it as a mix of both of them. As for the playlist, it’s sorta a mix between them but also Lian Harper, the West Twins, Mar’i Grayson, Colin Wilkes, Maya, Kathy, Milagro Reyes, and yeah.

1 Like