Mixtape Monday: Monkey Prince

Hello everybody, years ago I did a temporary Mixtape after @MissInkBlot left til @Green.Lantern took over, hopefully the @Moderators don’t mind, I like to keep Mixtape Monday going til a new Moderator takes over. :grinning:

Here’s a link to last week playlist for Hal Jordan…

You guys sure pick alot of great hits.
THIS WEEK THEME: Monkey Prince

Now this week playlist is… Monkey Prince, to celebrate the DC book club choice hosted by @Jitsu & @staticshocks, here’s my pick…

Please be sure to follow the community guidelines, can’t wait to see what songs you choose for Monkey Prince! :smiley::notes:

12 Likes
9 Likes

Dropping this off quick.

10 Likes
10 Likes

And this…

Sorry monkey. :monkey_face: :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

10 Likes
10 Likes

“Monkey Madness”, by Ian Taylor

9 Likes
11 Likes

I am so happy to see that you are keeping it going!

10 Likes

And no, I am not going to touch the monkey!

9 Likes

Thankyou @Huntress_Helena, I just love music, I just had to keep it going til the new Moderator takes over or you guys tell me not to do it.:slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Yes thank you @Reaganfan78 , I saw the intro and thought “huh”? That made me do some digging and that’s when I learned about @Green.Lantern . Sorry I didn’t get to tell him bye but I wish him well. Also, it’s definitely in good hands. :smiley:

7 Likes

Two of my favorite songs involving monkeys.

Leave My Monkey Alone - Warren Zevon

Everybody’s Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey - The Beatles

Thank you @Reaganfan78 for continuing Mixtape Monday!

10 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes

Because Monkey Prince was originally a Chinese story, it’s only fitting that I suggest a few of my favorite Chinese songs.

This is the theme song to the Journey to the West cartoon I grew up with. There’s so much nostalgia in this theme song for me.

This song is 童话 (Tong Hua, “Fairy Tale”) by Michael Wong. It’s one of the most well known, heartbreaking love songs.

This song is 朋友 (Peng You, “Friends”) by Wakin Chau. It’s like a graduation song.

This song is 听妈妈的话 (Ting Mama De Hua, “Listen to mother”) by Jay Chou, probably the most famous Chinese/Taiwanese artist to break the western world. It’s a rap!

The 2018 hit rom-com Crazy Rich Asians included a mandarin cover of “Yellow” by Coldplay that is just so good! The director worked hard to convince Coldplay to give them rights to the song to take back the word and connotation of Yellow.

Last but not least, this is my favorite Chinese song of all time. It’s called 风筝 (Feng Zheng, “Kite”). It’s sung by a group of high school students in Taiwan. The message is like, the sky’s the limit, don’t give up. It’s motivational.

I’m a banana, but chinese songs just hit the spot sometimes.

11 Likes

I like your style @NinjaSupes. Here’s one of my favorites.

Thanks for keeping it going RF78!

10 Likes

Surprised nobody’s dipped into Damon Albarn yet. Really the whole musical is appropriate, but I’m a fan of Heavenly Peach Banquet

And of course… Monkey Man

Sadly, Positive K & Greg Nice’s Monkey Luv doesn’t pass the forum guidelines by a long shot, but I just realized that The Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black practically illustrated Marcus’ story on the tail end of Black Date

A few more monkey themed tunes to wrap it up…

9 Likes

I’m really excited to see Mixtape Monday continuing @Reaganfan78 . :slight_smile: This was a topic I was wanting to use for a while. I was having a hard time thinking of songs for this topic, but then remembered one of my favorite pieces of primate-related media ever:

I’ll have to try and think of something that fits the Monkey Prince’s Chinese origins, but I think those two are okay for now. :slight_smile:

(And thank you, that’s nice to say, @ejdias.95910! MM sure is in good hands, also.)

10 Likes

I am so glad you did this @Reaganfan78 Now I have to think if a song!

7 Likes