šŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Meta Madhouse - The Final Champions šŸŽ¶

Back to finish :slight_smile:
In the meantime, as I see some of you have found, the new thread can be foundā€¦ here! :smiley:

But first, sorry about the mixup, @Reaganfan78! Had a loading error on my end, and couldnā€™t see your video until today, so ignore my question (and blame it on the ā€œthis is your un-updated browser on quarantineā€ effect lol). I really like Bette Midler for that choice, either way! With songs like that and the others, plus the added rationale, the best part is being able to enjoy learning more about those characters I didnā€™t know much about. Your songs add a really interesting perspective to them!

@Razzzcat - Ahh, yes, Metric! Youā€™re right, Iā€™m all for them as another band you canā€™t go wrong with; thereā€™s something about their lead singerā€™s voice that adds another layer of fantastic to their music thatā€™s perfect for BA. And Iā€™m really loving ā€œNuthatch,ā€ as wellā€¦ getting some serious Scorpion King vibes over here, I tell ya. :wink: So good! Now, onto ā€œCoded Languageā€ - what can be said about something so glorious? I love spoken word, so Iā€™m fascinated by your choosing it for Brainiac. I completely understand why after hearing it, but itā€™s so unexpected when coupled with ā€œDance of the Knights.ā€ Each well-applied in their own ways, it really identifies the different sides people can have, especially when looking at how many different genres we can like all at the same time. Theyā€™re both so beautifully composed!

Likewise with ā€œBig Takeover.ā€ The moments of staccato, and bursts of frenetic energy of it really does connect well with RF. And the low-pitched grittiness present in ā€œMission Controlā€ that makes me think of Grodd, too. But then we end with ā€œLetā€™s Fight,ā€ and the entire masterpiece is complete! Not only is that appropriate in title, but the soundā€™s really addictive - driving in all the right ways for a battle like this. You took the bar I set down with my picks, and surpassed it by a mile this week with yours! :slight_smile: Thank you for mixing things up for the week!

@LDFM - I canā€™t help but agree - boss battle music is a must, and you get two thumbs up for going headfirst with Halo 2. Stacked alongside each other, what stands out to me most is how the instrumentation differs, with each one putting heavy emphasis on one group of instruments or another, with horns being used in intriguing ways in a couple. The effect gives a heavy sense of gravitas the ā€œThe Sith Lordsā€ while inspiring fear in ā€œOn the Run.ā€ Electric currents are what come to mind for ā€œReclaimerā€ and thereā€™s something similar in ā€œDam Nation,ā€ but is tempered with its own usage of what sounds like brass instruments to give an entirely different feel; something a bit more animalistic, I think, not in an ā€œanimal natureā€ way, but in a location-oriented way. As if it makes you think of a nature-based chase scene.

Each did an amazingly good job encapsulating the main idea of each character, I think, even when it came to what could be considered a more obvious one like ā€œOn the Run,ā€ based on what you mentioned on the title. I personally didnā€™t mind that - on the contrary, the urgency and suspense you find in the songā€™s well-suited for RF, especially when I think of how they cast him in the CW show. It, and the rest of your choices, on the whole, are songs I can imagine being played behind scenes of each of the characters, so youā€™re right on the money with this theme! Loved your deciding to stick with video games, as well, despite the upset caused by my wanting to have a marathon playing sessions of everything. :stuck_out_tongue: (Oh, Fallout, how I miss thee, lol).

@UnLagunas - Wow, even before hearing ā€œGodspeed,ā€ the light bulb that went off over my head was enough to light up the room, lol. Such an interesting play on the term there, but Iā€™d never have put two and two together about the implications of Reverse Flashā€™s powers until you shared it. The songā€™s an excellent specimen to behold, as well! I canā€™t put my finger on what it reminds me of (might be giving me Penny Dreadful or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vibes), but I love every bit of it. ā€œParanoid Androidā€ has a captivating quality to it that, in accordance to its title, has a strangely technical/clinical undertone beneath the main portion. It presses and pulls at you, tensing your tendons taut as if theyā€™re strings of an instrument. :thinking:

I like that for Brainiac, and ā€œLosing My Religionā€ for Black Adam, too. It has a similar, but interestingly opposite effect on me as the previous song - almost cathartic. The most surprising song of the bunch was that last one - itā€™s such a very, very delicate tune for a character one would think to be far from that. It also pulls at the heartstrings (lots of emotional tugging going on this week with yours!), and despite being upbeat, seems to have a tinge of sadness to it. I donā€™t know if that connects to the movie itā€™s from, but will be doing more research on it to see if my natural reaction regarding the hidden sadness is accurate. In any case, thatā€™s a splendid selection of songs shared! You know itā€™s good when Iā€™m compelled to deliver that much alliteration. :wink:

@capo-mage - Aww, I know how you feel! Iā€™m terrible at all things sports and bracket-related (heck, I even filled out a Hallmark movie bracket this year and did even worse there than I did here, so Iā€™m a hopeless cause, lol). Iā€™m glad you were able to submit your brackets, at least, and with all the changes that took place this year, I think the experience will make for a better one next time. I saw your mention on your not going with your heart this year, so if you choose to do so, I bet youā€™ll do all the better later! :smiley:

@HubCityQuestion - With good reason. Great taste and great advice given, to match! :slight_smile:

@DeSade-acolyte - Nah, never a bad time to add songs, so youā€™re always right on time! :slight_smile: Itā€™s been a hectic week, so I completely understand, either way. Your idea to do opposites week has me wanting to do something similar in the near future - any thoughts on that? Technically, we were already on the same wavelength, but my planā€™s not as overt as your option was this week. Weā€™re also hoping to work through some of the theme requests offered earlier soon, but Iā€™m always open to more suggestions! :stuck_out_tongue:

As for your songs, The Ramones are always a welcome addition to the list, and both songs, in particular, are great assignments for each of the characters chosen, I agree! I like how you were able to work in reverse, thinking about the characteristics that make up each character, and moving in the other direction for songs in so creative a way - did it take you long to come up with them? And most important, did you have a good time doing so? I certainly enjoyed listening to them, with my favorite, I think, being ā€œCar Trouble.ā€ :slight_smile:

I must admit, I listened to The Fun Boy Three, and my ears immediately went, ā€œwhat in the world did I just listen to?ā€ :laughing: Always in a good way, mind you, since I love how it sounds! And in this case, it makes me think of another song I used to listen to that only had one word/phrase in it, but I canā€™t think of what it wasā€¦ I think it was similar to ā€œConcept of Loveā€ from the game Jet Set Radio Future, but Iā€™ll have to think it over. As usual, itā€™ll pop up when I least expect it, but for now, Iā€™ll bask in the greatness of ā€œFunrama 2ā€ until that happens. :stuck_out_tongue: I like Kylie, so I went ahead and added her to the list, too, and thank you for mentioning her as a runner up. :wink:

5 Likes

@MissInkBlot
It took about 5 minutes to come up with my list.
Funrama 2 is great. That was the simplest to come up with. I think of Grodd and the first thing that flashes into my brain is ā€œGrodd hate bananas!ā€ and I immediately knew ā€œFunrama 2ā€, no contest.

I love the Ramones, ever since 1977. So I wanted to get some Ramones in there. RF was the one that took a few minutes. Warm Leatherette popped into my head, and it didnā€™t work, but the idea of a car based song did.

Leslie Gore was just thinking what would be the most twisted song to have play as RF was on the podium. What is the antithesis of terror? Sunshine, Rainbows & Lollipops just seemed way to appropriate.

As for doing opposites, two ideas pop to mind. One would be to take the Trinity or the basic JL animated series group of seven and ask what song would fit them if the stepped through the looking glass? What is the mirror reflection song of that character.

The other would be is to take a JL: Gods & Monsters, Elseworld approach. Reimagining some set of characters through music that is the character but a different person with personality aspects. So they symbolize the characters. as JL: Gods and Monsters did with the Trinity, just through a different facet of the prism of the character.
You could even use existing Elseworld characters. Batman from Gotham by Gaslight, Superman from Red Son or Kingdom Come, and Becca from JL:Gods & Monsters,

Or take 3 characters from an existing Elseworld. Batman, Selina & James Gordon from Gotham by Gaslight. Thomas Wayne, Yo-yo & Mera from Flashpoint: Paradox.

Those are thoughts which first spring to mind.

Thanks for the feedback! As soon as I saw that Reverse Flash was one of the final contestants, Godspeed immediately popped into my mind. Shayfer James is a criminally underrated artist who always delivers fantastic music, so Iā€™m always looking for a chance to spread the word.

Although the titular Paranoid Android refers to Marvin of Hitchhikerā€™s Guide To The Galaxy, I figured it would also work for the collector of worlds himself.

I was stuck in a rut when it came to finding a song that would fit the ruler of Kahndaq. I could have gone with a wrestlerā€™s theme or a pun song , but then I thought of Black Adamā€™s arc in 52, of how he desperately tried to become a better person, only to lose his faith in humanity and the world. Thatā€™s when I knew that Losing my Religion would be the perfect fit for Black Adam.

As for Grodd, I had no idea what to choose. I ended up going with Hereā€™s To You as it makes reference to anarchists Nicola & Bart.
-M

Hello! Im happy you were able to enjoy my additions. A crazier set this week, for sure. Metaphor and contemplation are big w/ me, so thank you for tolerating it! :wink: I wanted something dramatic for the two I had hoped would make it to the end, so went w/ a couple extra instrumentals. (Yes, very Scorpion King w/ Nuthatch!). Coded Language seemed right for Brainy as it is A LOT of thoughtful information. Dance of the Knights had the right amount of grand intensity. (Ps. Thank you, again, for not hating a spoken word piece! OR a classical piece for that matter.) And I had trouble settling on a Metric song, because there are just too many good ones!
Anyway, on to the next!!