đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Meta Madhouse - The Final Champions đŸŽ¶

Happy Meta Mixtape Monday, fellow Madhouse fans!

We hope you enjoyed last week’s trip down memory lane, as inspired by DC Universe’s All Star Games! Equipped with an arsenal of amazing 80s music, by the time we were finished, this playlist that wasn’t just a swoon-worthy, nostalgia-fueling delight for the ears, but one fit for The Breakfast League’s undercover personas, and hero identities, alike! Check out the full list of tubular tunes below! :wink:

Overall Team Themes/No Character Pairing
“Don’t You (Forget About Me),” from The Breakfast Club
“Holding Out For a Hero,” by Bonnie Tyler
“Eye of the Tiger,” by Survivor
“Changes,” by David Bowie
“We Got the Beat,” by The Go-Go’s
“Somewhere Out There,” by Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram (from An American Tail)

Click the arrow for the full list, organized by high school persona/hero identity!

GM Sam Witwer
“Twist and Shout,” by The Beatles (from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off)
“You Dropped a Bomb on Me,” by The Gap Band
“Slippery People,” by Talking Heads

High School Personas/Hero Identities
Carl: Superman
“Should I Stay or Should I Go,” by the Clash
“The Touch,” by Stan Bush
“Don’t Stop Believin’,” by Journey
“Under Pressure,” by Freddie Mercury & David Bowie
“Delirious,” by Prince
“Waiting on a Friend,” by The Rolling Stones

Dina: Wonder Woman
“Material Girl,” by Madonna
“You Spin Me Round (Like a Record),” by Dead or Alive
“Love is a Battlefield,” by Pat Benatar
“Blue Monday,” by New Order
“Angel,” by Aerosmith
“Everybody Wants to Rule the World,” by Tears For Fears
“Separate Ways (Worlds Apart),” by Journey
“Uptown Girl,” by Billy Joel

Katie: Catwoman
“I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll,” by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
“Outsider,” by The Ramones
“Cruel Summer,” by Bananarama
“Venus,” by Bananarama
“Sweet Dreams,” by Eurythmics
“Bad Reputation,” by Joan Jett

Tommy: Batman
“Beat It,” by Michael Jackson
“Greased Lightning” from Grease
“Fade to Black,” by Metallica
“Beat on the Brat,” by The Ramones
“Red Barchetta,” by Rush
“It’s Tricky,” by Run-DMC
“The Music of the Night,” by Michael Crawford (from The Phantom of the Opera)
“Bad,” by Michael Jackson
“Real American,” by Bernard Kenny & Rick Derringer

This Week’s Theme:
Meta Madhouse Music - The Final Champions

Four weeks of grueling battle have led to the moment we’ve all been waiting for - a showdown between the Final Four. Were the results what you expected? And most importantly, since a battle ceases to be memorable without a good score to accompany it, what on earth are these four formidable foes going to throw down to?

Let us know what song would be the backdrop to your dream version of this DC boss battle, and while you’re at it, tell us which character you’re rooting for! Of those listed below, who, alone, deserves to take the spoils of victory, the bragging rights, and the glory? :trophy:

:running_man::dash: Reverse Flash :running_man::dash:
:zap: Black Adam :zap:
:brain: Brainiac :brain:
:gorilla: Gorilla Grodd :gorilla:

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

7 Likes

:notes: “It’s the final countdowwwn, do do do dooo, do do do do doooo
” :notes:

Okay so my lead-up intro to final four meetup (as in, their filing in as the officially declared “Final Four Champions” and standing with their respective poses as they size each other up) would probably be “Warriors to the End,” by Epic Score

While my choice for the final 1v1 battle, is “Event Horizon,” by Really Slow Motion

And the epic, post-battle, trophy-holding music would end up being “Our Time Is Now,” also by Epic Score (hmm, something on par with that scene from The Lion King where a tattered, sore, war-torn Simba, having beaten Scar, makes his way to establish his place as head of Pride Rock. Yeah, like that. :wink:)

As for my victor? The crown goes to Black Adam in my book. :shushing_face: Going to give him “Threshold," by Brian LeBarton as his song this week, as depicted in the Katayanagi Twins battle from Scott Pilgrim vs The World (I have that movie on the brain often lately >,< But, yes, considering who he goes against, the color chosen for each side in the Scott Pilgrim video’s both a nifty coincidence, and another reason why I’m intentionally using it. I suppose, going with the same idea, I’ll choose Gorilla Grodd to win on the other side, too).

6 Likes

Cake: Going the Distance Reverse Flash
Morris Day & the Time: Jungle Love Gorilla Grodd
AC/DC: Thunderstuck Black Adam
Tom Tom Club: Genius of Love Brainiac title more then song on that one.
My winner Black Adam gets an extra. System of a Down: Jet Pilot.

5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Honestly this calls for some Final Boss Themes:

7 Likes

Ok here’s my pick for the Final 4! So here we go!

This song is for Gorilla Grodd. When I think of Gorilla I think of Tarzan, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, AAAAAAAA! Cough, cough Think I’ll leave the Tarzan cry to the professional! :worried:

I think this is a good song for Black Adam. Listen closely you may hear a thunder in a background.:grinning::zap::zap::zap::fearful: Wow he really mean business!

For Reverse Flash, maybe he would turn back the time to spend with his wife if he has one.:slightly_smiling_face:

This Christmas song from Home Alone 2 is all I can think of for Brainiac who collects memories. :snowman_with_snow::evergreen_tree:
5 Likes

Youth w/o Youth- Metric (BA)
Also really feeling a Levantine flavor for him
 I think the Rock would approve :wink: Nuthatch- Maroon Shaker:

Coded Language- Saul Williams (Brainy)
Big Take Over- Bad Brains (RF)
Mission Control- Dandy Warhols (Grod)
Lets Fight- Two Fingers (Overall)

Ps. I saw the Scott Pilgrim pick—that means you def know Metric :+1:t3:

5 Likes

@capo-mage @MissInkBlot My money is on Black Adam & Brainy for the final
This is on of my All-Time favorite pieces of music. It’s for my dear :brain:
Since I gave BA 2, it’s only fair! And something tells me he appreciates the math involved in the composition :laughing:

4 Likes

I got hurt badly by the Lazarus Pit saves. Harley vs Ivy was the only help I got. Besides that., I had perfect brackets until the Pit messed them up. Zebra Man was the one that hurt the most. Then he got eliminated very next round anyways lol.

5 Likes

Boss fights, epic battles
so obviously we need some video game music up in here!

Although I was destroyed in basically every bracket (especially Luthor’s and Cheetah’s), I did manage to pick Black Adam as not only the winner for Darkseid, but to take the whole thing! So here’s to hoping he can follow through:
“Reclaimer” - Martin O’Donnell (from Halo 2)

Reverse Flash, I probably leaned to much into the song title for this, it has some tragic elements, and a bit of a sense of urgency:
“On the Run” - Petri Alanko (from Alan Wake)

Brainiac, this one’s harder for me to describe my thoughts, it has some eeriness to it:
“The Sith Lords” - Mark Griskey (from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2)

And finally Gorilla Grodd, I thought this one, but then wanted something more “tribal”, but wasn’t feeling anything, so I just stuck with it:
“Dam Nation” - Inon Zur (from Fallout: New Vegas)

5 Likes

I picked Deathstroke and Black Manta to win their respective brackets
 and they both got eliminated first round, by Pit saves :frowning:

3 Likes

Man
that’s rough. I got it bad too. I had every bracket nailed until they changed em.

4 Likes

I voted way too much w/ my heart than my head, so my brackets got kinda jacked along the way (shakes fist damn the LP!), but I still have a glimmer of hope. :grinning:

3 Likes

I went opposite. I voted against my heart. I was right
until the Lazarus saves lol.

3 Likes

Reverse Flash

Brainiac

Black Adam

Gorilla Grodd

-M
5 Likes

Hello, all! Had a bit of a late start this week, so I apologize in advance for the late reply and splitting up my response. Still wanted to make time to send a delighted thank you to everyone for giving my ears so much to be happy about this week, though! :slight_smile:

Also
 FYI, judging by this year’s Meta Madhouse finale, and, well, each week before it, the moral of this week’s story is to choose something other/opposite my choices, and you’ll win big. Just a nifty bit of advice for future endeavors. :wink:

@capo-mage - Oh my, I’m amazed by your choices this week! Usually, when going through these, I typically exhaust my mind trying to find the “one and only” choice for characters, but your list shows me why I should focus on that less, since you came up with even more, and they all managed to be perfect choices. “Going the Distance,” for example, fits that character to a T! :hushed: And I’ll always agree with “Thunderstuck” being a great choice for BA. “Jungle Love” and “Genius of Love” have me laughing, as well - talk about an unexpected set of picks! :wink: I think it’s an enjoyable set because of how much the sound of half of it differs from the other, though I send my sorry for our winning choice not making it. There’s always next time, it seems! :stuck_out_tongue:

@HubCityQuestion - Ooh, now that’s a list I can envision our final champions walking up to the multi-tiered podium to! The range you captured is superb, from live action movie, to manga/anime to video games, and all of them do such a good job capturing the energy that you’d find in battles for a group like this, that there was no hit and miss to be found in the bunch! While familiar with Rocky and Super Smash Bros, I’m wholly unfamiliar with Hajime no Ippo, so not only do I have a song to add to my personal playlist, but a new show to add to the watchlist, as well, so I thank you doubly for the lovely choices made! :slight_smile:

@Reaganfan78 - Awww, Tarzan! That’s one of my favorites from that movie, so my ears immediately went: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: - that Tarzan cry, though - I just tried, and found I can’t do it either, but at least the chest drumming is doable, by comparison! :wink: “Let’s Turn Back the Years” is gorgeous - such a beautiful song, and you’re right, the thunder adds the perfect touch, making the lyrics all the more poignant. The concept of turning back time for Reverse Flash is a good one, and the song, in particular, meshes really well with the rest of the atmosphere you created with this week’s list so far! :slight_smile: I couldn’t remember what the Christmas song from Home Alone 2 sounded like, though - is this the one you’re talking about? o.o

I’ll be back soon for more! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah. Those Lazarus Pit saves killed me. I had the right song for Reverse Flash but I didn’t have him winning it all. So u had Black Adam too huh? Almost did it. I had Ozymandias for the win. Zebra Man save crushed that hope. So I switched to Adam & no go there either. I think @DeSade-acolyte had Reverse Flash if I’m remembering correctly from the very start of the discussions. I know he had him for the bracket for sure. @Applejack saved me. Manually put all my picks in cuz my brackets wouldn’t let me pick. Owe her big time for that. Glad u enjoyed my picks, sorry I wrote a short story about it lol.

2 Likes

Hajime no Ippo is incredible. Recommended to everyone.

2 Likes

I missed posting this week. Doh!!

@capo-mage
Yes, I had RF taking it all.

@MissInkBlot
As for opposite songs for the week:

Black Adam: (Since he is always so full of wrath and energy) I wanna be sedated - Ramones

Grodd: (Because he hates bananas) Funrama 2 - The Fun Boy Three (It’s only lyric is the word “banana”)

Brainiac: Teenage Lobotomy - Ramones

Reverse-Flash - Car Trouble - Adam & The Ants (Cuz RF would never even need to own a car. Slow by Kylie Minogue occurred, but it’s kinda to obvious)

The Meta Madhouse Theme Song: Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows - Leslie Gore

3 Likes