🎶 Mixtape Monday: Memorial Day (Musical Mementos) 🎶

Not since its first season, however you just added a show to my must binge list. I’ll slide it in after the Sopranos.

2 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte - The more complex the answer, the more food for thought, so I’m all for it! Your choices always make sense, and I’m really am grateful for the added perspective you share.

The commentary on propaganda has my ears perked up, and my brain telling me it’s time for another read through of Orwell and Huxley. People forget how important it is to look at things from all sides, hear/read/view things in their entirety before coming to conclusions, and indeed, do one’s due diligence in researching, indeed. That is a worthwhile reminder, and a great song to choose to represent that.

I agree with you on “American Music” - it brings with it the fun that you get from the Andrews Sisters songs you shared, and with so addictive a beat, it’s hard to imagine such a song being created by people feeling anything but comfortable enough to truly let go and have a good time. And, with “Stand Down Margaret,” it brings a feeling of ease and freedom, which is a nice combination to have added, considering the message. You’re right, it’s special in how it’s bold and unapologetic! :smiley:

Similar’s true, of course, with Lehrer’s song, and it makes me realize how much of a favorite he’s going to become for me. He has a way with words that leaves me in awe sometimes, lol. Got a kick out of “Why Do Girls Love Horses,” too, though, considering how it could be considered pushing the envelope for some, I can only say again: he has a way with words. :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t think it’s lewd, either, however, so maybe my radar’s faulty? lol. It’s incredibly catchy, in either case.

That list was a doozy, and I really enjoyed going through it - thank you for being so kind in elaborating so extensively for us! Your fighting for freedom of speech and freedom of choice, as you said, even at the peril of your own personal liberty fits right into the theme, adding yet another rich layer to it all. :slight_smile:

@ralphsix - I hope you end up liking how they went about the rest of the series. I ended up so invested in the characters that it left me thinking about them for days, if not weeks, after. Been meaning to watch The Sopranos, too, so I appreciate the reminder, as well. Good stuff! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is catch as all get out, ain’t it!! I remember being at the grocery (pre-covid) and just singing it quietly to myself.
I think some people are really off that sing because it has not just self pleasuring theme, and that the instrument used is a horse. And frankly of all of the solutions to the question, I’m going with “the clipity clop”. :wink::sunglasses: