🎶 Mixtape Monday: Katana 🎶

Welcome once again to another week of Mixtape Mondays! Last week, we put together a playlist of songs to accompany the Official DC Book Club's reading of Superman Smashes the Klan:
Superman Smashes the Klan Soundtrack
  • “Steel Guitar Rag”, by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys
  • “Superman Theme”, by John Williams
  • “Stop the Hatred”, by MC Jin and Wyclef Jean
  • “Vigilante Man”, by Woody Guthrie"
  • “Superman”, by Blindside
  • “Kansas”, by The Devil Wears Prada
  • “This Land is Your Land”, by Woody Guthrie
  • “Theme from Superman (1940)”
  • “The Ballad of Emmet Till” by Bob Dylan
  • “The KKK Took My Baby Away” by The Ramones
  • “Wall” by Living Colour
  • “People Are People” by Depeche Mode
  • “Let Me Be” by The Turtles
  • “Strange Fruit” by Billy Holiday
  • “We Are The Ones” by The Coup
  • “Techno Syndrome (Mortal Kombat)” by The Immortals
  • “I Against I” by Bad Brains
  • “I Don’t Wanna Hear It” by Minor Threat
  • “Superman” by Benny Goodman
  • “Waitin’ For Superman” by The Flaming Lips
  • “Love Theme from Superman”
  • “Learn to Fly” by Foo Fighters
  • “Rise Today” by Alter Bridge
**This Week's Theme: [Katana](https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/collections/gtk-katana)!** =

This week, we’re focusing on Tatsu Yamashiro, the deadly samurai warrior known as Katana! What do you think is on her playlist? Let us know below! And if you want to read some comics for inspiration, you can check out our curated list of Katana stories here . :point_left:

Here is a song to start things off:

Due to the high volume of submissions and the limited number of hours in a day, we’ll be selecting two songs from each member, but feel free to share as many as you like!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post tracks of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the list of tunes, two from each user, collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

For our hardcore music lovers, we suggest joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob , a group created to bring all music lovers together in one place. Joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob will make sure you get notified of every playlist update, as well as offer you a custom flair and title to show off your maestro-dom!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines , the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

13 Likes
10 Likes

This is what I picture Katana listens to as she performs a symphony of death.

9 Likes

8 Likes

I’m re-watching Avatar: The Last Airbender right now and every time I see this thread I think it says KataRa :ocean:

7 Likes

@IrishX I see your Toccata and Fugue in D Minor and raise you one…

Fugue in G Minor! :smiling_imp: Muahahaha

9 Likes

Katana!! :raised_hands: Great picks so far, too, everyone!

(Art by Sejic :point_up_2::star_struck:)
Okay, I’m going w/ these to start since I thought of them first! :smile: …this one just feels right for Soultaker:
Ghosts n’ Stuff- Dead Maus

Samurai Metal- Gyze

And this is what popped into my head after thinking Suicide Squad and the Outsiders. Have a great week everyone! :purple_heart:
Kamikaze- PJ Harvey

11 Likes

Niiiiiiiiiice!

7 Likes

This 80s classic def works for our girl Tatsu.

11 Likes

“The Blade”, by SION

“Chaoz Japan”, by ParagonX9

8 Likes

Born To Be Wild - YouTube

Fairly obvious choice, but you have to include it. And isn’t it time Katana got her own movie?

7 Likes

Cuts You Up - Peter Murphy

10 Likes

Oh boy I gotta think of more tomorrow but for now

And I associate most strongly with her bronze age era, so some cool grindhouse vibe

9 Likes

Hello there again G.L., Mixtape Mob, and everyone else. :wave: :sunglasses:

Ah, Katana. :crossed_swords:

Katana’s tragic backstory really hits me. :pleading_face:

So here are a couple of songs that remind me about the beginning of that and then how she overcame it and continued to fight onwards. :smiley:

First up, from those tragic events, this song came to mind. :pensive:

Then as Katana began to do what she does best, this song came to mind. :sunglasses: :+1:

9 Likes

Hey everyone, hope you’re having a good week going into the Memorial Day Weekend. For my first selection…

The first couple of songs were to help center her mind, the next few to pick up the pace and the final song to decompress. Thank you, have a happy, safe Memorial Day Weekend everyone…

8 Likes

A classic:

Some good instrumental battle music:

10 Likes

10 Likes

Since I’ve been replaying the games again, I’m feeling like Kasumi’s music in Mass Effect 2 would fit well with Katana as well:

To be clear, the song is called “Infiltration” and was made by Sascha Dikiciyan and Cris Velasco.

10 Likes

Oh, yeah, I was thinking of either Lee “Scratch” Perry’s Headz Gonna Roll or Jenny Lewis’ Heads Gonna Roll, but both are more about why one deserves to be decapitated, so I left them out. This is a much better pick, generally celebrating decapitations, with some indications that in doing so you will be alchemically incorporated to a metal object. Well played.

I wanted to pay tribute to her back story as well, but couldn’t come up with anything that wasn’t in poor taste. :wink: Nice choices!!

8 Likes

I am pleasantly surprised by the number of Bach songs on the playlist this week. There’s a lot of variety on the playlist in general, which I think makes sense, since Katana is a complex character. :slight_smile:

7 Likes