🎶 Mixtape Monday: John Stewart 🎶

I got em pegged for a lover of all genres. The type that would surprise u when he put a tune on. Very eclectic. Those military vets have soundtracks literally playing while their fighting. Or they roll into some far away country, & enter the hot zone with Metallica blasting out of the top of their tank, along with ammo.

2 Likes

Also, I feel like Lanterns in general would’ve tried lots of different genres of music as they’re flying through space (I wonder if the rings can play music?). Although I can mostly just picture Guy listening to sports radio all the time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always thought what it would be like for another race to hear our music & Vice versa. I wonder if there’s a planet where they have a band that would just completely blow anything we’ve ever had out of the water. Or, if we’re the ones with that band? I’m assuming there’s bands in space I’m way past living beings I know those are out there. I just wanna ask em, can u play???

2 Likes

That is a really interesting thought! I’ve studied a little about how music varies across cultures just on this planet. There’s a lot of notes or melodies that are more associated with one emotion, like happiness or anger, in a certain culture, but to another they have totally opposite associations. It’s something I think is fascinating and would love to study more.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I’ve never heard of that. I studied how dialects can do that tho. So, I guess that makes sense, both are tones conveying feelings. I never would’ve known that tho. Ty for the bonus fun fact.

2 Likes

Ok I love the idea of a Green Lantern who’s a linguist/anthropologist and is just really excited to learn about alien culture and dialects

2 Likes

How many hilariously bad demo tapes do you think John has hidden? God help him if Wally West finds them

3 Likes

Simon Baz seems like the kind of guy who had a nu metal phase is high school and is ashamed to admit he stills jams to Nookie

3 Likes

Like of his own making? Or people handing him their demo because they think Green Lanterns have an in with big record labels? The first brings me great joy, but the second sounds like a brilliant episode of Justice League that McDuffie never finished.

How annoyed must Wally (or any speedster) be with analog media? A tape deck will only go so fast, so even if he can hear the music at high speed, its never fast enough.

YES.
Sira has been using this fact since high school to try and blackmail him to do her bidding in social situations. But it fails with Jessica because she and he already bonded over this shared guilty pleasure.
They have also gone through great pains to try and explain both Earth pop music genres and the concept of a guilty pleasure to the Guardians, to no avail.

4 Likes

Okay I was imagining John having some bad demo tapes from his ill-fated teenage band but the second option is HILARIOUS and I love it.

Now I’m imaging the entire human GLC presenting their Earth pop music powerpoint to The Guardians

4 Likes

“No. No, Gurion. We’ll explain PowerPoint and licensed proprietary business software next week. … Okay, we’ll cover PowerPoint in three weeks. Next week we’ll cover computers. Then commercial software I guess. Then, just maybe, we’ll be ready for PowerPoint. For now, lets just focus on how Earth got from Rosetta Tharpe to Skrillex.”

4 Likes

“Hey, man, my cousin made this really great demo, he produced it himself, he played all the instruments and made the beat, I think you should give it a chance.”
“Ma’am, I don’t know what you think I have jurisdiction over but I guarantee you you are incorrect.”

Alternatively:
He feels bad so he takes the tape but idk Luthor steals it bc he thinks it’s Secret Justice League Secrets and Superhero Shenanigans ensue

4 Likes

I 100% heard this in Phil Lamarr’s voice.

I’d read this series.

4 Likes

Blockquote 100% heard this in Phil Lamarr’s voice

Blockquote
That was the desired effect
I do think it would be funny if John:

1. took the tape, fully intending to throw it away
  2. Wally guilt-trips him into finding a way to distribute it (“Haven’t you ever had a dream, JOHN? Do you want to break this kid’s heart?”
    “He’s 36.”
    “Do you want to break this adult man’s heart? Green Lantern is supposed to save the universe from all forms of evil, and isn’t the music industry itself a kind of evil? Don’t you want to help this poor, downtrodden man with a trust fund realize his dreams?”)
  3. Wally and John are now on a mission to get this guy’s crappy album distributed
3 Likes

:heart_hands:

Who do we need to talk to to make this happen? Will kidnapping Phil Lamarr work in our favor? Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

Another song to throw in because it’s just So Green Lantern: Space Truckin’ by Deep Purple!

4 Likes

Get him and Rosenbaum on board and I think we’re set

3 Likes

I know this is super late but I’d like to submit: Life’s a Gas by T-Rex

4 Likes

Okay I’m finally doing it I’m gonna draw it stay tuned y’all

4 Likes

My favorite Ramones song!! SUPER underrated

3 Likes