🎶 Mixtape Monday: Happy Fourth of July! 🎶

Telepathy

2 Likes

@xLOVEandDoomPatrolx :crystal_ball::star2::wilted_flower:

3 Likes

Mine are more based on nostalgia for me personally, but these songs always remind me of summer:

“Starlight” by Muse

“Two Tickets to Paradise” by Eddie Money

“Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress)” by the Hollies

3 Likes

I’ve been hooked on this song lately:

4 Likes

All things considered, hope your summer is going well @MissInkBlot!

Your theme has inspired a bit of a secondary theme of memories for me as well - theme-ception? I’ll just keep it to one round - and lyric free, since you were so kind last Monday dealing with a potential endless playlist regarding both relationships and Harley Quinn. :1st_place_medal:

:musical_note: :trumpet:

( ( Summer in the morning ) )

“Milestones” - Miles Davis

“Eighty-One” - Miles Davis

( ( Summer in the afternoon ) )

“Minnie” - Miles Davis

“Venus De Milo” - Miles Davis

“Seven Steps to Heaven” - Miles Davis

“Miles Runs The Voodoo Down” - Miles Davis

( ( Summer at dusk ) )

“Filles de Kilimanjaro” - Miles Davis

“Sanctuary” - Miles Davis

( ( Summer at night ) )

“I Fall In Love Too Easily” - Miles Davis

“Old Folks” - Miles Davis

“In A Silent Way / It’s About That Time” - Miles Davis

#x:white_heart:|Doomx

4 Likes

Hi @MissInkBlot! :wave:
Something has just popped in to my mind and I’ve been overcome w/ a deep (and probably irrational) concern if you got that thing?? That :package: :heart: thing. I might completely forget about this is 5min, but for right now :eyes: I MUST know. :grin: Ok, bye. Have a great week.

3 Likes

summer nights grease soundtrack
summer night city ABBA
weekend in new England Barry Manilow
boys of summer Don Henley
4th of July(sandy) Bruce Springsteen
king of the night time world Kiss
Surfin USA The Beach Boys

2 Likes

Hey all, I’m sorry for the delay – I listened to them the week of, but had to give the hands a rest for a bit at the time (they were giving me the achy stink eye!); they’re good to go again thankfully. But, of course, that means…. behold: a glorious wall of text :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for giving me so much to talk about, everyone!

@Pow-Pow – Your recollection of your childhood is a beautiful one. I really resonate with the idea of being closer to the grass and flowers – that hasn’t changed for me in a height sense, but certainly in the freedom of being able to play in the grass directly. But everything, all of it, hits like lightning. Not long ago, I too, was thinking about how much I missed summer vacation. A solid three months of freedom from obligation. Long enough to get tired of the free time and come to miss your friends and homework again. Those were good days. And “Nostalgia Locomotive” is just as good a song. As the lyrics touch on lightly, the beat drums over the chest, as if searching for the door your heart. It wants to make you feel. It wants to take its hand and coax it into what’ll be, yes, one heck of a train ride. That song’s amazing. Truly. :heart:

@patterson65.37405 – Continuing right down the road to nostalgia-ville aren’t we? :smiley: And with so perfect a song! That song feels like a kaleidoscope of emotion, touching on those summer nights, and the breezes that accompany them, full of the scent of grass, freedom, potential and plans. The way it ends, talking about leaves falling, and having to say goodbye, leaves such a bittersweet feeling behind. It makes you glad you have the thoughts and the dreams to remember those days by. Not to forget the awesome Batman connection, yes! :blush:

@LDFM – You know, I’m ever so grateful for the introduction to Mae. I end up not wanting to explore them on my own because of gems like the one you shared – they’re happy summertime surprises. That song differs so much from the other by them that was shared, and subsequently got stuck in my head, but this one has settled in to take its place. What’s cool about it is that it not only makes you think of summer, but, at least for me, transports me to the years of childhood where songs in that genre sounded similar from bands like The Used, etc. And leave it to you to give a big dose of classy with Sinatra – makes me feel like our get-together’s rating got moved from informal to at least semi-formal. :wink: Didn’t even have to play Blink-182, though. Saw the name and the song played in my head automatically (does that song hit you in a particular way? The sound of the part starting at the b&w picture gives me the good chills, lol). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: My nostalgic heart’s head over heels!

@TravisMorgan – Cliché’s good! Cliché means not only reminding us of how sublime your taste in music is (it is, by the way… and lol, I can’t stop laughing at how Billy Idol stares at the screen in that video. If your summer didn’t feature rising temps before, that smoldering look will put you on the right path xD), but spoiling us with the good stuff. It’s a win/win! :wink: After hearing The Loving Spoonful, ELO, and The Kinks, my summer skies were not only bluer and more vibrant but watching over some seriously laid back shooting of the breeze.

The more somber songs added that “lazy summer” feeling I used to get, where the body’s feeling a bit lazy, but the mind is busy with thoughts of the future and how wonderful the present feels, etc. It’s especially present in, say, the happy familiarity of, “In the Summertime,” and the happy-go-luckiness of “Belly of the Whale,” and “Sunny Girlfriend,” (lol, that video made me think of something from The Three Stooges :P). They make it easy to yearn for days past. :blush:

@Hiraeth – Yay! I’m happy to hear about your Sade appreciation – you and me, both! :blush: I haven’t heard “By Your Side,” in such a long time. Hearing it was like coming home after completing a long journey. I love her voice… it’s like a guiding light, in much the way she describes in the lyrics, and adds a lovely touch to the week’s playlist, providing a sense of comfort reminiscent of what I felt during the summer when growing up. Being around the family, and enjoying the free time together felt like such safe haven back then.

@arkhamassassin – Ooh, that song reminds me of the different songs that come out about summer love (in mind, at the moment, is Justin Timberlake’s, “Summer Love”). Your choice really encapsulates that golden feeling of finally belonging with someone, and how, even when the interactions only last as long as a summer vacation, that feeling makes it worth it. That the ability to see each other again, and unlock, and acquire that feeling once more, bask in those moments of freedom, and fearlessness while there’s still time to do so… makes it all worth it. I can see why she classifies the feeling of yearning for it as “just one of those nights.” :heart:

@Reaganfan78 – Going patriotic right out the gate, I see? And what better song to use when beginning on the path of doing so than that powerful theme! That song is one I can’t get enough of – the way it soars brings the best of period pieces to mind. It is heavy with the weight of history, that rivals that of this holiday, and makes them the perfect accompaniment in sound, too, not just in plot. “But I Burn” and “Yankee Doodle Dandy” work similarly, but for the lighter hearted moments of America’s growth. The first song is what you feel when you look back at history, but I’d argue the latter songs are what it feels like when in the midst of making it, lol. The musical treasures that are that rendition of “America the Beautiful” and “Gonna Fly Now” are what we feel as those affected by those decisions – the first, perhaps, when looking back at history, and the second song is how we feel when in watching it all happen in real time (making us say, more than once, “what a time it is to be alive!”). :blush:

@patterson65.37405 – A twofer, eh?? I wasn’t able to see the one in German due to the account being removed, but I looked it up after and switched out the video for you. As someone who regularly listens to German music, may I just say…. it’s fannnnntastic. Definitely in both languages! It’s interesting how the two manage to differ in their overall feel when going from artist to artist despite the overall background sound staying pretty similar. Usually, you’ll see covers differ dramatically on purpose, but that didn’t seem to be the intention there despite it resulting that way. Tis a happy accident! :blush:

@ajm08g – Figurative works, especially for a theme like this one, where we hop from the holiday, itself, to the general feeling of the season in range of possible choices. There’s so much red in the first two choices, though… makes me think of the vibrant sparkle of fireworks going off. I’ll always love “Seven Nation Army,” so I can see why you chose it. The representation, at least my in opinion, of the parts of the flag stand out well, with the red songs having beats that represent the strikes – the staccato beats acting in the way the white stripes interrupt the red ones, while the blue sky idea is fun to apply due to its placement at the top of the flag, encompassing the stars. :blush: And when they come together to make a whole? We have a fun, summertime get together in “R.O.C.K. In the USA”! Perfect tune to dance to, and a great add to the list, that’s for sure!

I see why you chose the other group of songs for the Summer, too! I considered going Country, too, but there were too many favorites to choose from (ugh, tempt me, and I’ll have people here all day with a list a mile long, lol!). The difference between the sound of the Alan Jackson and Keith Urban songs is striking, making it feel something like the difference between a summertime sunrise vs sunset. Upbeat and full of energy in “Summertime Blues” (despite the name!) and a bit slower in pace, like easing into night fall with “Long Hot Summer,” (maybe a tad bit drained from all the heat), until you finally reach nightfall, and the coolness of “Rain.” What a beautiful set of pieces! :heart:

@ejdias.95910 – Ooh, both “Summer Madness,” and “Summer” take you right to the shore of the beach, don’t they? Listening to them, it’s as if you’re in the middle of watching a sunset, walking by palm trees with the warm breeze guiding your way home. Meanwhile, with the second, it’s as if you can feel your toes in the water, and the spray of the waves on your face, and the sound of beach birds calling for your attention in the distance. :hushed: How soothing, and yes, mellow. One could find a hammock and easily put those on repeat for the day. Lovely set of choices! :slight_smile:

@TheCosmicMoth – That’s very true… Summer’s a bit self-contradictory for me, too. I used to yearn for it, have it arrive, and then spend my time frustrated by how quickly time was passing. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, and in a situation like that, it’s hard to feel anything but emo, lol. That song brings up sharp feelings of the past, speaking of learning from mistakes and representing change we might not’ve wanted, but couldn’t stop. Likewise with “The Boys of Summer,” (a common listen to when I was growing up, too), but to curb the nostalgia, I wonder if it’s possible to capture the present and replicate what once was in some way. Is the nostalgia more about the memories that surface when listening to those songs, for instance, or the actions taken. Maybe doing the latter helps mitigate the ache.

The shift from “Return of the Super Ape” to KPop, and then to “Summer in Abaddon” made me laugh – so sudden and unexpected, but a testament to how wide-ranging all of our listening styles are, even within one single submission. :blush: All three are quite “feel good” in sound in their own way, with the first and third being more mellowed out about it vs the bright, shiny flashes of color heard and seen in the second video – have a preference for one feel or the other? And is what they show in the latter video similar to what you had the chance to see while living in Korea? I’m happy to hear you had a good time there! :smiley:

@D4RK5TARZ – What a cool way of tackling the theme for the week! Consider me jealous, since it sounds and looks like your shoe box is quite full of goodies - thank you for honoring us with a picture! Those must’ve been some fantastic moments… but how can something be boring when there’s a golf cart involved? lol! :wink: (And disclaimer: YES, children, please, do not try that at home. :eyes:). You know, sometimes I go through live performance videos, and the quality leaves a lot to be desired, depending on band and song, but wow, I can tell you went through all of those with a fine toothed comb. The sound quality for all for all of those clips is amazing, and the visuals, stunning!

I’m so glad you were able to have those experiences with family and friends, along with have a set of memories you can treasure and recollect with such intricate detail! Such makes me wish we could store the 5-senses of our memories in shoe boxes, too, to take out and remember at moments like these. Thank you for being our tour guide for this trip into the past with you! :blush: :heart:

@DeSade-acolyte – A very personal list, and a very special one, too. Thank you for going into the background of these with such depth – I can only imagine how you must feel with all of the anxiety and changes going on disrupting so much of what we used to know, and do, and experience. :confused: While I hope some semblance of normal returns and that you’re able to once again spend the summer as you used to, but to lose so long-standing and constant a friend, even if we’re fortunate for it to be only for a year, is to still feel a sorrow that feels like it could last a lifetime (especially with how uncertainty abounds). So, I can see why you chose so beautiful a song as your first – that anthem is lovely! :heart:

Thankfully, too, with James Brown, I find that songs like his and the one to follow, “Masquerade” to be the sort you can depend to help make things feel a bit better. I agree with you, they remind us of how far we’ve come, and in that reminder, keep us aware of the fact that this, too, will pass. Just as our songs can versatile, adapting applicability to a changing situation, we, too, are the same. :blush: One question, as you allude to, too, is… will we sing along? Despite the claim, it’d be a joy if you did. But, we’ll take a dose of Tom Lehrer, with spoken accompaniment instead if we must. :wink: That’s just as appreciated. That was a truly touching story shared, DSA, thank you!

@NCharles39 – Oh, my, I haven’t heard Soundgarden since my “Black Hole Sun” moment not long ago, so they were a surprise to encounter over the Fourth of July holiday. :blush: Hmm, one thing about that band… they know how to choose a topic (theme/title – the 4th of July) and tear it apart at the seams before sewing it back together in the most interesting of patch-worked ways (the day representing an end of days, of sort, seen by listeners, now, in the wind of a waving flag and a sky full of fireworks). So many layers, so many meanings, and interpretations, and a soulful voice leading you from the beginning of the story to its end. It leaves my ears pleased, and my mind thinking.

@Razzzcat – Why hello! I understand about the can of worms :stuck_out_tongue: I have many a song and holiday that makes me feel similar. xD I am amazed by the discerning tastes of so young a Razzzcat, though. :hushed: I am also thankful of an older one sharing a song from that album with us later on. I like this… the inebriation mentioned reminds me of the way the summer can leave you feeling a bit under the influence – drunk on fun times, so much free time with friend, and skin warmed by the sun. At times, thought, a bit dangerous in how things like sunburn could be compared to the nasty hangover talked, but, oh, the moments that led up to it. When listening at that age, did you pay much attention to the lyrics, or was it just the groove it all that got to you? Thanks for having made the week and holiday a good one with that song, by the way! :blush: (and to answer your question… oh no! I’m sorry, I didn’t get the emojis mentioned. Feel free to let me know the code, though… this inquiring mind must know! :eyes:)

@Docsuture – I can see why the nostalgia would be heavy with these. They bring to mind thoughts of staying up late watching MTV music videos and drifting off to wherever the artists chose to take me with their words that day. Muse and Eddie Money have that effect, having something of an airy feel. A buoyancy. But, I also love how the beginning of “Long Cool Woman” hits me the way “Carry On My Wayward Son,” does, before veering off into a completely different direction (wayward and rebellious, indeed! :P). The combination of the three feel like they represent summer in a different way than other songs have… less about the season, and more about hanging out with good friends, maybe (thinking of scenes from That 70s Show as I say that). :smiley:

@Hiraeth – What a joy it is to have Lana added to the list when she’s been – this moment was no exception. The video/song coupling create that sense of disembodied happiness. Glimpses into life on a timeline, so that it’s a bit like… what the formation of memories (in relation to a theme like this, for me, such manifests into the “baby” that’s gone away), separate from all else, might feel like. All emotion and atmospheric smoke you can try, but fail miserably at catching with your fingers. They do as they wish, showing up as they will, coming and going, stirred by the sound of a tune, scent of something familiar, sound of a voice, etc. That song’s gorgeous. :blush:

@xLOVEandDoomPatrolx – Separating your list into parts for day, afternoon, and evening…. AND showering us with Miles Davis for the entirety of it? Now, that’s a summer vacation I want to take! :hushed: Thank you, as well – with your songs, all of you certainly made a tough time feel easier to manage, for which I’m grateful. :heart: I’m all for a little theme-ception, by the way, and instrumentals are m’jam, so, since I’m packed and ready, to quote Mario, “Let’s Go!” :slight_smile: (pff, though, no need to worry about your other list of songs – I loved going through them, so it was no punishment, that’s for sure!). The itinerary: “Milestones” has just the amount of energy to keep a person perky. Just out of bed, and dancing on their way to the shower (saving the rest of the household from the singing, thankfully, with this being instrumental xD), with “Eighty-One,” being the feeling that overcomes us when we look at ourselves in the mirror. Ready for the day, but not at all anxious, because it’s the summer! No formalities, all easy, all breezy. After a long day out in the sun with friends, the afternoon features heading to the restaurant for something to eat with “Minnie” as the theme song. “Venus De Milo,” reflects the restaurant’s atmosphere and the time spent eating, while “Seven Steps to Heaven” matches the tempo of the conversation had between good friends eating good food and having a good time. :smiley:

“Miles Runs the Voodoo Down,” is the meal-end discussion of, “and what do we do now??” but with the added fact that there are no obligations, and therefore, no stress attached to deciding. As I, personally, would tell my friends, “it’s all gravy!” :wink: “Filles de Kilimanjaro” is the car ride… warm, but also cool, and windy, with passengers enjoying the chance to close their eyes and relax, and the driver enjoying the emptiness of the road, stretching ahead of them, and seemingly endless. In time, we’re almost there… soon reaching the “Sanctuary” of the beach shown, with its waves, shooing away the heat with roaring so loud, the sun’s influence wanes and it must take its leave, retreating, and making amends by waving the white flag of left behind stars to dot the sky as it retires for the night. Then, we are left in the aftermath to “Fall in Love Too Easily” with the stars our companions, now, silent, but beguiling as they t(wink)le at us from afar, symbolized by high piano octaves. We feel old with them, knowing what we now see is actually each star’s former self, real-time history presented to us while we still exist in our present. So, in time, we, too, take our leave, leaving behind the stars to be each others’ companions for another night, while our group of friends goes on to be each others’ for the day that follows, the “Silent Way” punctuated with bursts of high tempos representing the excitement of planning the next set of events to come. “It’s About That Time.” Wow, thinking through all of that was energizing. xD What a playlist! :blush:

@LuciferComplex140.80394 – I’d be telling untruths if I said my first thought for this theme wasn’t “Summer Nights” from Grease, so I got such a kick out of seeing the playlist rounded out with it. :smiley: I did not, however, consider the other songs listed, so again, it’s a delight to be about to fill out my personal playlist, along with this one! I had to facepalm because I completely forgot “Surfin’ USA”! Tis the epitome of a good day out on the waves, and, I imagine, represents many people’s thought of what a properly spent summer looks, sounds, and feels like. :smiley:

As an alternative, however, your playlist’s well-rounded in representing other parts of the country, too, with my loving the inclusion of “Weekend in New England,” the tone of which is a reminder that a good time can be slow and measured as much as it can be fast tempos. At the same time, I like the separation of time periods during the day for your list, too – during the summer, lots of things are largely reserved for the daytime, but “King of the Night Time World,” and “Summer Night City,” corrects any misconception of the night being boring! The moonlight encourages its own share of fun, just as the sun does, just as ABBA shows. :blush: The versions I listened to of “The Boys of Summer,” and “4th of July, Asbury Park” were a bit more sorrowful… definitely bittersweet, and pressing into the mind like the yearly goodbye we have to say to the summer and all it entails. So much to cover in one group of songs, and an entire summer’s worth of feelings found in the midst of them!

13 Likes

@MissInkBlot I’m definitely more of a “Summer in Abaddon” than a “Loving U.” More of an understated melody with the heavy emotions bubbling up every now and then kind of guy than a happy, cheery dude.

The Sistar video is not a great representation of what I saw while living in South Korea. I’m pretty sure they filmed that video in Hawaii. South Korea does have some great beaches, though. The beaches of Busan made it one of my favorite cities. My friends and I also used to go to Namhae a lot and that felt like a nice secluded little paradise. Fond memories aside, life is never quite like what it is in the pop videos… right?

As for nostalgia and trying to replicate what once was through some sort of action… I think you just summed up the very struggle of the last four years of my life. If you find a way to do it, please let me know. I’m worried that I may actually have to grow up…

It’s funny, I was just thinking about a song I should have suggested for this list. Van Halen, “Ice Cream Man”. Thank you @MissInkBlot, have a good evening.

#NAILEDIT :sunglasses:

When I was a kid, I knew it was about a woman and a man, having some kind of “adult evening”, we’ll say. :shushing_face: When he says he ‘craves more wine’ even after knowing she’s gone and what shes taken—I know it’s intimacy and freedom that he craves, not silver. He’s lonely and burdened, and maybe no good at love… and maybe she is too, and that’s the real reason she does what she does. So they have this fleeting solace. And maybe even a little comfort is better than none at all?? Perhaps. (Who am I to judge :woman_shrugging:t2:) I’ve always chosen to see the song as a positive story.

Aside from that, I was mostly enchanted by their voices and the whole vibe of the album. I listened to it again (several times) after dropping a track here. Its still really good. Gotta say. :+1:

1 Like

Glad to hear the hands are doing better.
When you make your living on a keyboard and the hands don’t work or are so painful, it’s rough and scary. Glad they are better.

I think even with the shelter in place, face coverings, social distancing, etc. Those havent really impacted me emotionally/psychologically. The loss of the tour has, and the cancellation of the NCAA tournament. Thank goodness for Meta Madhouse so I could at least get my bracket “fix”.

Comics have never really pushed the edge of the 1st amendment. Even given the Kefauver hearings and the CCA. The right to freedom of expression is still critical to comics. The stories they can tell, the representation they can create. That’s why I included the link to censored novels. So people could see how easy it is to be on a slippery slope towards the curtailing of that freedom that we often take for granted in the modern day.

Hadn’t really thought about it, but it is the most personal playlist I have put up.

Ah no worries on the delay of such another wonderful wall of words from you MissInkBlot! :superman_hv_4:

Now, resisting the urge to ask about that mile long list of country you mentioned for the sake of your hands… :sweat_smile:
(Perhaps it can also be revealed in due time as the journey of Mixtape Mondays continue. :smiley:)

I have learned though, upon my fun read through of our famed captain Applejack’s Office Hours thread (still a work in progress but I shall make it to the end! :sunglasses: :+1:) she has a variety of finger stretches she could possibly share with you. :thinking: :grin:

Now back to figuring out what I can possibly come up with this week… :thinking:

@MissInkBlot Take all the time you need our fearless mixtape leader!

That’s awesome to hear that about Mae! Yeah they’ve been around for quite some time now, but I only discovered them a few years back though. Oops :grimacing:.
If you’d like on “off the mixtape” recommendation, listen to “The Everglow” by Mae (the entire album, not just the title track). Only stipulation is you listen to the songs in order, front to back. It’s another one of those “concept albums”, like that Zombie EP I shared, so it tells a story. 15 songs, about an hour long, but it is sooooooo good! Easily a top five album of mine.

As for the Blink song… it’s just got that fun/upbeat feeling. I totally get the chills part you say. A song can be good overall, but sometimes, there’s just that one part, where it can totally elevate it to something else for you.