🎶 80's Mixtape Monday: DCU All-Star Games Edition 🎶

Hello, fellow Mixtape Mixers!

Much to our delight, it looks like last week’s theme brought out the animal in all of us! As expected, our community’s impeccable taste in music was ever in tow, so check out the playlist below to see which songs set the tone for our spirited walk on the wild side with The Cheetah Beasts! :partying_face:

Overall Team Themes/No Character Pairing
“Animal I Have Become,” by Three Days Grace
“Intergalactic,” by The Beastie Boys
“Superbeast,” by Rob Zombie
“Welcome To The Jungle,” by Guns N’ Roses
“Animal,” by Def Leppard
“Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps),” by David Bowie

Click the arrow to see the rest of the list, by character! ^_^

The Cheetah
“Animal I Have Become,” by Three Days Grace
“Cat Claw,” by The Kills
“Pounce,” by Nellie McKay

Penguin
“Blue Moon,” by Frank Sinatra
“Black/White,” by The Raveonettes
“Police HQ / Hideout,” by Ashif Hakik (from Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus)
“Learn to be Lonely,” by Minnie Driver (from The Phantom of the Opera)
“Penguins,” by Lyle Lovett

Man-Bat
“Bat Country,” by Avenged Sevenfold
“Vide Noir,” by Lord Huron

King Shark
Main Theme (From Jaws ) by John Williams
“My Prerogative,” by Bobby Brown
“The Beast of Pirate’s Bay,” by Aurelio Voltaire

Killer Croc
“Born on the Bayou,” by The Diamond Light (from Swamp People)
“Killer Queen,” by Queen
“We Are The Ones,” by The Coup

Bronze Tiger
“Eye of the Tiger,” by Survivor
“Demolition Man” by Grace Jones

Firefly
“Watch the World Burn,” by Trivium
“This Fire,” by Franz Ferdinand
“Fire,” by Arthur Brown
“Standing Outside the Fire,” by Garth Brooks
“Let 'Em Burn,” by Nothing More

Flamingo
“Dexter Main Title,” by Rolfe Kent (from Dexter)
“Flamingo Baby,” by Violent Femmes

Professor Pyg
“Weird Science,” by Oingo Boingo

Earth 3 Owlman
“Survival,” by Muse
“Running Up That Hill,” by Placebo

Orca
“Salt in the Wound," by Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, and Lucy Dacus

Catwoman
“Cat Man,” by together PANGEA
“Tommy the Cat,” by Primus
“Shame & Fortune,” by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
“Life Will Change,” by Shoji Meguro (from Persona 5)

Dex Starr
“Cat Scratch Fever,” by Ted Nugent
“St James Infirmary,” by Louis Armstrong

Magpie
“Poem," by U.S. Girls

Gorilla Grodd
“Run Through the Jungle,” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
“Jungle Man,” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
“Apeman,” by The Kinks

Black Manta
“The Black Manta,” by Rupert Gregson-Williams (from Aquaman)
“Strange Times,” by The Black Keys
“The Mariner’s Revenge Song,” by The Decemberists

Zebra-Man
“Magnetic,” by Earth, Wind & Fire

This Week’s Theme:
80’s Music: DCU All-Star Games Edition (Spoiler Warning!)

Alas, the end of Meta Madhouse is upon us, but before we commence with singing, “it’s the final countdown!” we’d like to take a quick break to focus on the season finale of the DC Universe All-Star Games! Inspired by our Q&A with Sam Witwer, and its six episodes of tabletop RPG fun, we’d like to know what songs you think the game’s characters would have on their own personal playlists!

To assist, here are a few details on each high school character and their hero identities:
  • Carl: THE BRAIN - In detention, because he was found in the trunk of a car, teacher who found him thought he was playing hooky, actually the WASTOIDS stuck him in the trunk. Hero Identity: Superman

• Dina: THE PRINCESS - Her boyfriend, Rod, is fighting ex-boyfriend Floyd in Karate Tournament, purposely got detention to dodge the drama of the Tournament. Hero Identity: Wonder Woman

• Katie: THE BASKET-CASE - She’s a bit of a klepto/basketcase, stole Dean Finger’s keys, bad grades, ZERO friends, a misfit with an attitude. Hero Identity: Catwoman

• Tommy: THE CRIMINAL - No one messes with him because he’s crazy, torments the weak and nerdy with his crew of Wastoids, always in detention. Hero Identity: Batman

Whether you choose to stick with their 80s high school personas, gnarly set of hidden hero identities, or choose both is up to you! Any are fine as long as you, to quote Game Master Sam, “Do it!” :wink:

Share your picks in the comments below, and stay excellent! :heart:

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

8 Likes

For the whole Breakfast League team, I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention this, though I (was tempted to give you the Pitch Perfect version, though :wink:):

“Don’t You (Forget About Me),” from The Breakfast Club

Carl - Starting out as much the brain as the indecisive one at the beginning of the game, he’s unable to decide if he should stay in place, finishing his detention and hopefully staying out of trouble, or leave with the rest of the crew to pursue uncovering the details of the mystery of a lifetime. In response, I’ll give him:

“Should I Stay or Should I Go,” by the Clash

Dina - As the resident princess (aka Miss Popularity) of the team, she gets the following for that troublesome love triangle she’d found herself in (hmm, Billy Joel’s “Uptown Girl” was a close second choice, too):

“Material Girl,” by Madonna

Chose to only do Dina’s hero identity for now, at least, but for her, this was my pick:
“You Spin Me Round (Like a Record),” by Dead or Alive:

Katie - She’s the outcast and misfit figure of the group, but rocks all around, so she gets this one, and the reason’s self-explanatory. :stuck_out_tongue:

“I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll,” by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts

Tommy - Considering one of the most memorable quotes from the season ended up being, “I am definitely the baddest, and they don’t wanna catch these hands!” for me, I chose this lovely gem. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Beat It,” by Michael Jackson

Adding another for him since he’s the bad boy with an equally bad (to the bone!) ride. It’s not officially 80s, but my others were, so I’m cheating a little, as this is only off by a few years. Plus, I get a kick out of the song/video. :wink:

“Greased Lightning” from Grease

Whoa nelly, that was quite the care package dropped. :stuck_out_tongue: Enjoy!
Looking forward to seeing what you guys have in store this week! :heart:

7 Likes

This song has come to mind when watching the show. Could fit well for the comeback moment in the episode 5 with Carls true identity.

7 Likes

I figured 80’s would be the next theme since I was also involved in that Q&A. This is a “genre” I’m not too familiar with, I guess this could be a group theme. I’ll try to think of some individual songs…

Holding Out For A Hero - Bonnie Tyler

6 Likes

@NYJt3 - That’s a great choice for that moment - perfectly upbeat for so mighty a hidden hero identity, and a song I can see Carl liking, in general, to be honest. As a side note, thank you for bringing me back into nostalgia central with that! :wink: I remember back when my brothers used to watch Transformers, and I would hear the theme song in the background often, so it reminds me of many a good day and memory! :heart:

@LDFM - Aww, I completely understand; encountered some trouble since knowing songs off the top of my head’s different from remembering their release year, lol. :stuck_out_tongue: If you do end up adding more songs, I hope the journey through the era/genre’s a fun one for you! I love your first choice for the overall team theme, as it is, however! It makes me wanna ask the Breakfast League to strike a heroic pose in each of their respective character’s costumes… which may or may not be a good thing in their opinion, but the heart wants what the heart wants! :joy: Thank you for the great share! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Alright, I think I have a couple, (although I am having trouble with Katie/Catwoman)

For Carl I decided to go off of his alter ego Superman and do a song about “hope” which led to this:
Don’t Stop Believin’ - Journey

Dina/Wonder Woman, I also went off her alter ego with “love”, and I guess this might work for the love triangle she has going on:
Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar

And Tommy/Batman, I was trying to find something on “justice” but just wasn’t feeling anything, but remembered he had some association with “Metalhair”! \m/ :
Fade To Black - Metallica

5 Likes

@NYJt3, I can’t hear that song without thinking of Boogie Nights.

Going to go ahead and drop this here…

6 Likes

@Applejack Did you notice in Shazam! that the intro to this song was play when he entertained the crowd shooting lightning from his hands at the Philadelphia museum.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Here’s my pick for the 80s, I think this Ferris Buller parade song fit perfectly for the all star game. I can really see Sam Wither do a recreation of the parade scene. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

“Hands, lightning with my hands, lightning with my hands, lightning with my haaaaaaaands”

4 Likes

As Wonder Woman has shown us, no 80s playlist is complete without:

7 Likes

All I think of is Rocky with that one.

Didn’t even play the video and I have the song stuck in head lol.

3 Likes

Whole group. Since Breakfast Club is my #1 movie of all time & I commented after the 1st episode how I was just waiting for quotes from it. I’m going with David Bowie’s-Changes. The lyrics the movie opens up with. Even tho it’s circa 1971.

4 Likes

Just gonna slide these babies in here :wink::dancer:t2:

4 Likes

carl- Freddie Mercury & David Bowie: Pressure. For same reasons as @MissInkBlot.
Dina- Aerosmith: Angel
Katie- Ramones; Outsider & Bananarama: Cruel Summer & Venus.
Tommy- Ramones: Beat on the Brat (76’) & Rush: Red Barchetta (car song).
Sam Witwer for having to keep control of all the students Talking Heads: Slippery People.
All for same reasons as @MissInkBlot & Sam my only original edition/reason.

3 Likes

Couple more…

3 Likes

Cruel Summer is such a great song :sunglasses: I was just thinking this might be an appropriate song for this summer if things keep going…

2 Likes

My 1st 3 cassette tapes ever purchased. Run-Dmc Raising Hell, Dokken back for the attack & Metallica Cliff em all.

2 Likes

I snuck two Karate Kid songs in. Cruel Summer & Slippery People lol.

1 Like

I first went music shopping in my big sis’s room—the first ones I snatched were Salt n’Pepa, Gn’R and a Louis Prima/Connie Francis/Bobby Darin mixed tape, that mysteriously had George Michael on one side :laughing: and Depeche Mode

2 Likes