đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Creature Commandos đŸŽ¶

I feel the same about Duran Duran.They’re my favorite :sparkling_heart:! Their music is timeless :sparkling_heart:! “Secret October” is one of my absolute favorites from them :sparkling_heart:! In fact, the whole Seven And The Ragged Tiger album is phenomenal :sparkling_heart:!

I love Rio too and their self titled debut from 1981 as well. All three of those albums are just fantastic from beginning to end :sparkling_heart:! “Friends Of Mine”, “Anyone Out There”, “Night Boat”, “To The Shore”, “Tel Aviv”, “Sound Of Thunder” are all awesome songs from their debut album :sparkling_heart:! My absolute favorite song by them comes from Rio, though.

It’s called “Eyes Of An Angel”. “American Science” from Notorious is another favorite too :sparkling_heart:. I listen to their current stuff as well. Their last album, Future Past, was great :+1:!

I was so happy to see them inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Fame last year :slightly_smiling_face::sparkling_heart:! They deserve it :sparkling_heart:.

10 Likes

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face::+1:. But the problem is in trying to do that from an Android phone. Going from one app to another can be difficult and I don’t want to lose what I’m writing, you know? I think :thinking: I remember failing this part of the tutorial with Kelex :0_kelex:, my buddy :smile:.

He says he’s only a bot but you notice he has his own emoji. That’s pretty vain for a bot :smile::smile:!

9 Likes

That was one of the best inductions in a while. I watch em every year on HBO Max. Used to air around here cuz I live in the home of the Rock & Roll HOF. So they used to have induction in Cleveland, & air it. Now, I’m not sure? Cuz sometimes I know ther filming somewhere else, but they’ll say I grew up right down the block from this building in Cleveland. Anyways, they put on an incredible show!!! I still have that in my Q on Max lol. Mad Duran Duran knowledge dropped too btw!!! Very well done :+1:!!

8 Likes

Thanks, @capo-mage! Like I said, they’re my favorite band. I was a baby back in the '80s so I really didn’t get to witness Duran Duran-mania sweeping the nation back then like it did.The first time I heard them on the radio I was 8 and that was 1987.

My Mom was picking me up from my Cub Scouts meeting and she left me in the car for a minute with the radio :radio: on because she had to run inside and talk to one of the other den mothers about something. Anyways, this song came on the radio with a rocking beat saying “Hungry like the wolf” and I just started getting into the song when my Mom came back to the car and turned the radio off. I said “Mom, what are you doing? I like that”. She looked at me and said " You’re too young to listen to that".

I asked her "What does hungry like the wolf mean? And she turned to me and looked at me and she was so uncomfortable, it was hilarious :joy: :smile:! She told me “You don’t need to know what hungry like the wolf means. Maybe when you’re older I’ll tell you then”? And she never did :smile::joy:.

I became a big fan of Duran Duran in the '90s. They played"Come Undone" at my school dance. I instantly fell in love with their remake of “White Lines”. But the song that I really loved off of the Thank You album was “Lay Lady Lay”.

That’s a magnificent remake. I love their remake of “Fame” as well. “Late Bar” is another great song of theirs. Like I said, I’m a fan, a big fan. Their music, along with U2, has been the soundtrack to my life :slightly_smiling_face:.

I just experienced them a decade later than when they debuted. I wish I got to experience more of the '80s then what I did. Then I could’ve took part in the fads and fashion going on back then. But instead all I got to do was ride around on my Big Wheels, play with my Super Powers and Secret Wars figures, and read comics :slightly_smiling_face:.

It was good times for sure. I’m gonna look to see if the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony is on YouTube. You’re not the only one who told me that it was a rocking performance. I think I heard that they got a standing ovation when they were done.

I really would like to check it out. I’m about to get HBOMax or Max as it’s gonna be called soon. I want to check out some of the stuff that’s coming out for DC on there. But I just find it hard to justify the $16.99 monthly price tag for it.

I don’t even think regular HBO on cable TV costs that much. But I really do want to see Creature Commandos. And there’s other stuff coming out that I would like to see as well. That’s cool that you’re from Cleveland.

My favorite TV show, The Drew Carey Show, is set there. And I’m a fan of the Guardians/Indians baseball :baseball: team. That must be so fun living in a big city like that. I live in Connecticut myself in a town called Middletown and people will try to say that this is a city but I tell them that they’re wrong because cities don’t shut down on Sundays :smile:.

I lived here for a majority of my life but I also lived in the Berkshires up in Massachusetts for awhile too. That place drove me crazy!! I was in my late-20s when I lived there. It was so slow in the town I first stayed in with my ex-wife, Great Barrington.

There was no mall, nothing. It was like stepping back into the 1960s and this was in 2009. It was crazy for real! This reply is super long now.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent and that’s usually when I start writing like Stephen King :slightly_smiling_face:.

9 Likes

I’m a bit late, but 

(RIP Lux)

7 Likes

You’re absolutely fine lol. I type novels nonstop on here haha. Seems like u were right place right time to me? Circa’87 @8years old?
.u are right in that pocket. I was 12 & I didn’t feel cheated at all about missing out on the 80’s. I had so many similar experiences with riding around in the car with folks & hearing tunes that are still amongst my favorites today. Tons of Phil Collins when I went to basketball games in 5th grade. Idk if I would’ve listened to as much of him as I do b/c of that or not? I’d like to think Id’ve discovered him regardless but who knows? Crazy how a songs popularity was completely dependent on the dj back then? Both ways. They could play an amazing song so many times u don’t ever wanna listen to it again. Had a few of those too. I’d say definitely keep trying to watch their HOF induction performance!!! One of the best of the night. Honestly, they might’ve been. I’m a huge Cars fan also & they absolutely nailed it that night too. Duran Duran absolutely did receive a standing O, so that was a correct assumption lol. They were amazing!!!

4 Likes

That’s funny, I’m a Cars fan too :grinning:! I’ve got a playlist on Amazon Music that includes their songs and a couple of their solo songs as well. There’s two really good songs from Ric Ocasek and Benjamin Orr that you should check out if you’re a fan of The Cars. There’s a song I love from Ric Ocasek called “Mystery” that’s fantastic!

It’s on his solo album called This Side of Paradise and it sounds just like a Cars song. It could’ve been on Heartbeat City right there with “Drive” and “Magic”. The other song is from the lead singer of the Cars, Benjamin Orr. It’s off his only solo album called The Lace. It’s called "When You’re Gone"and that’s another fantastic song as well.

It’s another song that sounds like it would’ve been perfect for The Cars. Yes, I remember how songs used to be played in the '80s and '90s. I will say one thing about streaming music. It has one major benefit over listening to music on the radio.

Every single song is at your fingertips with streaming. I didn’t know Ric Ocasek and Benjamin Orr had solo albums but when I searched The Cars they came up in the suggestions along with the Cars. That didn’t happen with radio. I like a lot of B-sides or deeper cuts off of albums and those are the type of songs that don’t get airplay on the radio.

But I still do listen to the radio as well. I also agree with you about radio playing songs over and over again. It happened with Phil Collins, Hall and Oates, Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, Madonna etc etc. It also happened to one hit wonders like Irene Cara and her song “What A Feeling” from the movie Flashdance.

Just constantly drilling them into our heads over and over again. But that was part of the fun of growing up in a different era, right :slightly_smiling_face:? Check out those songs and I hope you like them, @capo-mage.

4 Likes

Oh for sure!!! Orr is from Cleveland & Ocasek lived a few blocks from the Rock Hall in Cleveland. Sad when they got inducted cuz lost Orr so long ago & didn’t get to realize his dream of making it into the hall. They had Scott Shriner from (currently) Weezer play his parts on induction night. They absolutely nailed it. Orr had a ton of amazing songs written to his credit. Him & Ocasek did the writing until Orr was lost, then it was all Ric. But, yeah, I’ll definitely listen to those again!!!

4 Likes
4 Likes