đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Catwoman's 80th Anniversary đŸŽ¶

I was thinking the same thing, @TheWorldTurns, only I didn’t want to have to explain it! lol You did a better job than I would have! So I’ll load it on your behalf :fist:

4 Likes

Oh, guess I’m a little late to the party. But anyway:

This one makes me think of Selena, but I’m not one hundred percent sure why

Footage of Bruce moments after Batman #50 ended:

And just one more:

2 Likes

Don’t worry you’re not late, great songs choice by the way.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I thought of Shirley Bassey as well!

2 Likes

1 Like

Oooh, everyone, this week’s playlist is like “Catnip for the Soul”! :wink:
They’re so good, even someone who hates surprises wouldn’t be able to stay mad at ya!

@arkhamassassin - “Get Some” was unexpected - I especially like the video’s usage of optical illusion! They match the music really well, creating a sort of one-two-punch effect on the senses, and oddly enough, the two together give me a Fever Ray “When I Grow Up” feeling, though faster paced. I love that trailer, too - it shows that she knows how to take command of a scene so that all eyes are on her, and likewise, you know how to do a great job in setting the foundation for a week’s theme! I love that beat! :slight_smile:

@Solved_BY_X - Ahh, it’s no wonder that song comes to mind! It’s such a good one, though it’s been so long since I’ve seen the music video that I’m reminded of how much I love the lead singer’s claws - little details like that really stand out for the added effect! Add to that all of the scenes of Catwoman, Batman, The Penguin, and the Bat-Signal to top it off, and you’ve got a recipe for success for this week’s theme! A+ addition to the list there, thank you! :smiley:

@UnLagunas - Thank you for the compilation - ‘tis a treat for the senses, especially when put together! “The Perfect Crime” sets the stage with its magnetic beat that makes you want to immediately start snapping your fingers (gives me those Gorillaz vibes, along with a tiny bit of the bass beat of Bruno Mars’ “Locked out of Heaven”), while the controlled emotion expressed in “Cat People” really encapsulates and gives insight into the relationship between those two, I agree. Have you seen the “Catwoman: Chase Me” short before? That song makes me think of that.

“Money” is amazing! I love songs that quickly run through lists like that one does (not the girl, boy, mother, father, sister, brother, etc), and that one does it particularly well. First time hearing it, but it won’t be the last. :stuck_out_tongue: The main idea of that song also seems to fit hand in hand with the implications of “Society Hook’s” lyrics and videos in such a cool way, since “Money” is the epitome of the latter song’s request for a woman who says everything she feels, among other things. So, so good
 that list’s excellent!

@LDFM - Ooh, “Why Don’t You Do Right?” brings that “Chase Me” scene I mentioned above to mind, too! Adore how songs like that can immediately transport listeners to another place and time. “Get outta here, and get me some money,” stood out for me in the lyrics, but the whole song’s a lovely choice! Meanwhile, the song by Anberlin’s a beautiful accompaniment. It’s the sort of thing I could put on repeat, and float along the beat of on its own, but takes on an even prettier, albeit heightened and even more emotionally conflicted, view when thinking about how it could apply to their relationship. To quote one of the comments on that video’s page, “The groove in this track in amazing! Its got all the right feels.” Loving your choices this week, as always! :heart_eyes:

@ajm08g - A classic gem for a classic gem of a lady! The sound of that always brings a smile to my face, because it’s just that great a song, but, so, too, with the words and how well they apply
 :hushed: “I saw her heading to the table, well, a tall walking big black cat. Charlie said, I hope that you’re able, boy 'cause I’m telling you she knows where it’s at,” - with that, along with other portions, I can’t help but agree with you on your reasoning. :stuck_out_tongue: The next question in mind is what look you can imagine her giving you were you playing this at her anniversary party. :wink:

@ralphsix - Now, that’s a song and video I can tap my toe to! :smile: It’s so catchy, and the hook’s such a fun one that I have to remind myself of Rule #10 of our Forum Guidelines, “Do not advocate or promote illegal activity. You can talk about Lex Luthor, but don’t be him.” :stuck_out_tongue: Shame on you, Judas Priest, “Breaking the Law” shouldn’t sound like so much fun, lol. Kidding, of course, but that really is a great pick - I can see her appreciating it as much as I did, for sure! :slight_smile:

@capo-mage - That’s quite the list this week! :slight_smile: All goodies it’s a delight to be able to check out, especially with “Cat Scratch Fever” and “Smooth Criminal” already being stuck in my head from the past few weeks of Mixtape Monday. I wasn’t expecting Jane’s Addiction, but oh, how the light bulb went off over my head when I heard it - I remember listening to “Been Caught Stealin’” quite often on the car radio in Grand Theft Auto, so I love how that matches on so many levels
 along with being so addictive a song to break the law in a video game to. :joy: What was it that came to mind to make you choose “Holy Diver” and “Dani California” this week?

@AnonymousHQ - Boy, the introduction to “Layla” had an instant reaction out of me
 like an anchor dropping to the bottom of my ribcage (worrisome to describe/read, but I promise, it’s a good thing, lol). I think it’s because of how it reminds me of that heavy hook in “Crazy On You,” that I love. I equally love how your song differs so dramatically, though, mellowing out, while still maintaining a level of grittiness, carried over from the guitar at the beginning and continuing through the singer’s voice. It does so in such a delightful way when you hit the main portions of the song, and then you eventually reach the piano section (reminiscent of “Rocket Man” to me), and the transition, and ultimate mixture of everything mentioned is both unexpected, and what makes it all the better. Really enjoying this choice! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@TravisMorgan - Aww, I’m immediately thinking Miss Congeniality with that one! But more than that, I’ve always enjoyed how expressive and positive in description found in the lyrics are, which I think certainly fits in with this week’s theme, and is a superb choice to devote to Catwoman’s Anniversary celebration! With a pick like that, we can go ahead and give you the invitation to next year’s party now! :wink:

@Jay_Kay - Nicely done! “Angel” sounds very familiar but I’m unable to place where I heard it from (feels like something featuring vampires
 hmm
). If I’m wrong and this is actually my first time hearing it, I think the feeling of familiarity is a testament to how good a song it is. :slight_smile: It’s been quite a few years since I’ve seen The Craft, so I’m glad to be able to listen to some of the music featured in that movie, too!

Both songs are beautiful when separate, but when put together and applied to one character, it really magnifies the intensity of how powerful the two are. They fit together fantastically, giving off a combined, heavily atmospheric, low bass beat, and when I close my eyes, they make me think of Catwoman making her way to a destination at night, and how the moonlight might shine off of her costume, or how silent her footfalls would be as she moves, like a shadow. It’s such a cool effect. Thank you for sharing those!

Looking forward to checking out everyone else’s picks, and will finish up tomorrow! :smiley:

8 Likes

Holy Diver & Dani California just running lyrics thru my head. Holy Diver-Shiny Diamonds like the eyes of a cat in the black & blue, something is coming for you. Ride the tiger, you can see his stripes but u know he’s clean etc theme is all about escaping & playing with danger on top of lyrics like shiny diamonds. Dani, same thing. Dani- Robbing on a bank in the state of Indiana, she’s a runner. Rebel and a Stunner, on her merry way sayin baby watcha gonna’ Looking down the barrel of a hot metal 45 just another way to survive. Just a few examples from each. Both about living dangerously, whatever u gotta do to survive etc.

3 Likes

I can’t think of any with vampires, but I how it’s shown up in a few movies, for me most notably “Snatch” and “Flight of the Phoenix.”

3 Likes

Ah yes. The look that she would be giving me would “get me in trouble plenty.” That is, if you just substitute Jose with Batman in this song. I’d also say probably a lot would not mind this particular predicament. :wink::sweat_smile: :batman_hv_1::catwoman_hv_1:

3 Likes

@Razzzcat - lol, that confession was a joy to read, and I agree
 if it turned out awesome, the pain was worth it, so I’m glad to hear you don’t regret it! You’ve also piqued my interest if you’d like to share your creation the way @BCDC did here. :stuck_out_tongue: Your list for this week’s theme has me wondering what you’ll come up with for the next. :thinking: It was not only a long list, but a fun one, too!

I love the soaring and more delicate portions of “Down Boy.” You get this sense of
 well, the best way I can describe it is the delicacy with which as cat balances on something narrow - slow, leisured, and self-assured in their inherent ability balance in so precarious a situation. That’s what the tempo, and the sound of that song seem to crystallize for me, and it’s just as well balanced with “Nobody Knows Me,” and yes, the beauty to be found in SV’s version of “Whatever Lola Wants.” It’s gorgeous, and perfect for CW! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Love that, “I always get what I aim for, and your heart and soul is what I came for
” portion of that song, and I think the piece transitions into a befitting “Habanera” in such an indescribably seamless way! 
as does that dancer emoji! :stuck_out_tongue: Glad you were able to add the last two to the list, since “More” and “I Get Mine” are perfect for each other, and the driving beat in both is exactly what we’d need from the DJ to, to quote Peaches, “whip this party into shape!” :wink:

@seitan - That’s one that leaves me short on words, but long on feelings - really enjoying this one, and how it’s such a unique song
 the entire thing, from the lead singer to the background music. :slight_smile: There are so many parts within the lyrics that are incredibly appropriate for what you’re applying it to, but when combined with everything else, it’s even more so a strangely/powerfully effective piece. Does it make you think of anything when you listen to it? I ask because it inspires the most interesting mental images
 mainly of a cat patting at a mouse with its paw. Or even that Aesop’s fable about The Lion and the Mouse, and I think the instrumental portion plays a huge part in why. I don’t know how they did it, but it’s pretty amazing. :hushed:

@MisfitCMJ - Annnd, the sultry sound of Miss Kitt floats throughout the room, setting the room on fire in all the right ways with the enigmatic, “I Want to be Evil,” before becoming a soothing salve in the more calming, “Old Fashioned Girl.” :wink: Oh, how I love the sound of her voice. She’s so fantastic, and her performance in those videos is a delight - you not only see, but feel the fun she’s having making them emanate from the screen when she laughs or flutters her eyelashes at you. :slight_smile: Such a wonderful set of picks this week - thank you for sharing!

@TheBatgirlofNML - Ooh, now that’s a gift worth unwrapping - talk about delivering 1hr+ of music it’s impossible to mind listening to! Beethoven’s the after party cool down treat
 like icing on the cake, or ice cream on a hot summer’s day. :icecream: And I adore all the “Cat Scratch Fever” going on in this thread (is this all a plan to get it further stuck in my head? glances around suspiciously :stuck_out_tongue:). It’s good to see, “I Am a Rock” featured again! Beautifully mellow, and capable of balancing out soulful turbulence with the steady reassurance of, indeed, the mention of being a rock, I could never get tired of so pretty a song. I’m with you on liking S&G - any time you’re interested in adding them to the list, you’ll get my thanks! :slight_smile:

@Reaganfan78 - Disney, 007 and Les MisĂ©rables strike again, and I love it (and don’t worry! I have a feeling she’d be as pleased with your picks as I am
 especially when it comes to “Everybody Wants to Be a Cat”). :slight_smile: Listening to those songs is like being hugged by old friends - comforting and much welcomed! I think you’re right about “At the End of the Day”
 I’d never have put two and two together until you mentioned it, but it’s intriguing how things work out that way, isn’t it? I wonder if Anne picked up on it, too. :hushed: And as for the last picture of Catwoman, nah
 it’s hard to be upset with a list like this. 'Tis too classy!

@TheWorldTurns - Aw, no need to apologize for the link issue. I’m thankful you filled me in on that song - I didn’t know that! And thank you for the teamwork, @Razzzcat! :slight_smile: I’m unfamiliar with this one, so I was just going to mention the tone of it, as well, and how it, for me, differs so drastically from what would be associated with a suicide pact. But when thinking about it from the point of view of your reasoning, I can see how the carefree aspect of it makes even more sense, because of how freeing it would be to find what you feel is your calling, come to terms with the built-in risk of doing it, actually going about doing it, and thriving off the thrill that doing what you love, regardless of what it is, brings. Not only food for thought, but a great tune as well! Thank you so much for sharing! :smiley:

@TornadoSoup - Not late at all - whenever you arrive is right on time! :slight_smile: Especially with a song like “Drops of Jupiter.” That’s a fav I chose to perform in school, so it tugs at heartstrings, and makes for an interesting choice for CW. Is that more of a happy song for you? It always ended up being bittersweet, teary-eyed song for me. Hmm, and with “Am I Blue” in tow, forget being late for the party
 to the contrary, you brought the party with you in having Batman perform like that. It was beautiful! :hushed: So, too, with “Maneater” bringing us back to the dance floor. You’re hitting all ends of the emotional spectrum with your list, and did a positively sublime job choosing this week. Thank you!

@TheQuestion101 - So many kitty songs! :crazy_face: Wow, it’s been such a long time since I’ve seen The Pink Panther, not to mention heard, “What’s New, Pussycat.” :stuck_out_tongue: I love that version of the song, by the way. It takes me to a island vacation spot, reminding me of the theme song for Death in Paradise (which I’ve been watching too much of lately lol). “Stray Cat Strut” is such a captivating add, as well, and I must say, I’m loving the rockabilly/jazz influences showing up this week! They really do a wonderful job of epitomizing the general persona that I get from Catwoman, so having them play at our party adds a great touch. Same’s true of Bo Carter, though really enjoying the sound of Sonic Youth, too. :slight_smile:

While the language makes the song problematic for our Mixtape Monday rules (just a head’s up for the future, since we have to abide by Forum Guidelines), gotta admit, the meowing in the POTUSoA song is killing my funny bone. :joy: “Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty,” along with being a sweet song, has The Big Bang Theory stuck in my head, now, as well, and I can’t stop giggling, lol. Did that come to mind when you chose it?

@capo-mage - Ah, I can definitely see where you’re going with that. :slight_smile: I like the train of thought for both of them, and it certainly adds to what I was speaking about earlier with the discussion on “The Lovecats,” and the thrill of living on the edge, but also seeing surviving as connected the desire and need to do what one loves (since being stuck doing what you hate’s arguably far from surviving, or at least not surviving as well as you could). Thank you for elaborating! :smiley:

@Jay_Kay- Ohh, yeah, it was likely Flight of the Phoenix, then. I was thinking The Equalizer and John Wick, but that was probably just from the similarity between that song and their OSTs (though I also think I heard it when watching the trailer for Metro Exodus, which is equally possible since that’s a fav series). Thanks for helping narrow that down for me! :slight_smile:

@ajm08g - My thoughts, exactly, and you captured the entire situation beautifully with those emojis! :stuck_out_tongue: Oh, my goodness, that song’s, “You’re my kind of man, so big and so strong
” has me continuing with my earlier gigglefest. I love the feel of it, because it makes it impossible not to get up and dance around. Thanks to you for helping close out this week’s party with it - it’s been a blast! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sorry, @MissInkBlot. I :black_heart: Catwoman. I couldn’t stop myself! :stuck_out_tongue: unless a fave of mine is the theme, it prob won’t happen again—You’re safe! :wink: 
maybe

4 Likes

Ah, @Razzzcat, you’re lucky I like Friends so much
 :wink: hehe. You’d be fine regardless, though - Catwoman’s amazing, so I can’t fault you for your excellent taste. :slight_smile:

Also, have fun with the new theme, everyone! :smiley: You can find the new thread here!

2 Likes

Yeah, all of Fantine’s songs from Les Mis work perfectly for Selina Kyle since they really are both sides of the same coin, and it’s even more ironic how Anne Hathaway portrayed them both in 2012, especially when TDKR was also about class inequality.

Think about it: a traumatized woman, or “cat”, in a society that abandoned her and treated her like trash and getting money by unethical means. On one side, you have her stealing and manipulating others for the thrill of it. On the other, instead of take, she sells herself, not for herself but for her daughter, in a selfless act of love. What do you think?