🎶 Mixtape Monday: Black History Month Spotlight - Mister Terrific! 🎶

Happy Mixtape Monday, all!

Last week’s theme left us buzzing with curiosity as we searched for songs that were well-suited for our spotlight on Bumblebee! :slight_smile: We’re ever so thankful for your superb choices, and for your listening pleasure, here’s the full list of playlist below! :honeybee:

• “She’s So High,” by Tal Bachman
  • “Control,” by Janet Jackson
  • “Back to Life” (80’s remix), by Hailee Steinfeld
  • “Bullet with Butterfly Wings,” by The Smashing Pumpkins
  • “Fly On The Wall,” Thousand Foot Krutch
  • “Welcome Home,” by Hellyeah
  • “Doom Patrol Theme,” by Kevin Kiner & Clint Mansell
  • “Twister,” by Carrie Underwood
  • “Teen Titans Go! Theme,” by Puffy AmiYumi
  • “Honey Bee,” by Tom Petty
  • “Aeroplane,” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • “Good Vibrations,” by The Beach Boys
  • “The Green Hornet” (1966 Main Theme), by Billy May

This Week’s Theme:
Black History Month Spotlight - Mister Terrific!

Week three of Black History Month has arrived, and we’re just getting started here at DC Universe! Our spotlight shines on Mister Terrific now, a man for whom the label of “genius” is truly an understatement! A master of many fields of study, he uses his knowledge to not only fight crime, but go above and beyond in being an inspiration to the youth around him.

Can you come up with a song worthy of being associated with so illustrious a character? :thought_balloon:
Share your songs of choice below!

And remember to take a look at our matching sweepstakes for a chance to win! :wink:

Click below for a quick overview of Mister Terrific’s background:

Mister Terrific: A History

Michael Holt debuted in 1997, having adopted the alias of “Mister Terrific” after the passing of Terry Slone. His character was first featured in Issue 54 of John Ostrander and Tom Mandrake’s, Spectre (Vol. 3).

For the hero known as Mister Terrific, the term “Fair Play” isn’t just a corny old motto, it’s a truth to live by. During the Golden Age, genius millionaire Terry Sloan used his considerable intellects and combat skills to become a masked vigilante. Seeking to not only fight criminals, he wore the term “Fair Play” on his costume as a way of sending a message to impressionable youths to not take the easy way out, and always fight a fair game. He served as a member of the Justice Society of America, before ultimately being killed by an old enemy. But it was his successor Michael Holt who truly took the name and legacy of Mister Terrific to new heights years later.

A master of many talents and skills, alike, Mister Terrific leaves an indisputable impression on the DC Universe that can only be described by so apropos a word as “terrific”!

Want more? Find what you’re looking for in the link below!
Comic: Mister Terrific (2011-)
Mister Terrific: Encyclopedia Page
5 Reasons We Love Mister Terrific
DC Black History Month: “Atonement“
Who’s Who in JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

6 Likes

Okay, so I’m going the emotional route this week, due to how Mister Terrific’s background story hit me in certain ways, and I like how, aside from how everyone sees him from the outside as a millionaire, and genius, there’s so much in the way of emotion to be found beneath the surface for this character. In light of that, I’m going with Coldplay’s “Fix You.”

And because I like a song that makes me misty-eyed, sharing Faith Hill’s “There You’ll Be,” as well, to touch on his having lost his wife and child, but working through his sorrow to endure, and keep the promise he made to his wife to help others:

4 Likes

Sending this classic to a hero questioning faith who lost his religious wife in a car accident.

Depeche Mode - Blasphemous Rumours

3 Likes

@Pow-Pow - Aww, that definitely hits just as hard as his background did. His is such a heavy story to take in, and I can see your song fitting well during the multiple moments of despair he’d have felt. The lyrics do a good job of reflecting some of the thoughts we have when terrible, inexpicable things happen, and in listening to that, I’m left all the more amazed by how he pulled through it all to become the character he does, and the hero we know. So very powerful… thank you for sharing that!

3 Likes

First of all great picks. I’ll round it out on the Scientific side with Thomas Dolby’s She Blinded Me With Science. Than his Olympic side with the Beastie Boys’ Body Movin’.

2 Likes

Looking at couple of your guys pick I hope this count for Mister Terrific, Here’s Whitney Houston ‘I have nothing.’ From the movie Bodyguard, come to think of it, I think Mister Terrific makes a great Bodyguard. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit:
I’m also going to throw this in, here’s Whitney Houston ‘I will always love you.’
5 Likes

Love the Depeche Mode pick. Very underrated band imho.

3 Likes

I rarely give a remake more props then the original. However, Houston’s rendition over Dolly’s is an easy call to make.

3 Likes

@capo-mage - Nice! I was thinking of “She Blinded Me with Science” this weekend as well, so it’s good to be on the same page when it comes to music that happens to be floating around our heads. :slight_smile: The addition of the Beastie Boys rounds out your selection nicely, as well, not only because I can imagine him working out to a song like that (or at least I would lol), but I think it does a good job fitting the jacket he wears, that’s offered in the sweepstakes. :wink:

@Penguinfan78 - Wow, Whitney Houston was a nice surprise this week! The Bodyguard was such a good movie, and I do love your train of thought when it comes to applying this to Mister Terrific! Considering his hero name and background, I agree that he certainly deserves a tribute by so talented a voice as Whitney’s, let alone so wonderful a set of songs! :smiley:

Also adding another song I’ve been listening to a lot lately when doing research on MT - got me right in the feels. :stuck_out_tongue: The Script’s “Hall of Fame” -

4 Likes

Flattered to be in the same headspace as u. Good addition. I would work out to this soundtrack. Body movin might even get me on the parallel bars. Thomas Dolby won’t be denied, especially with all these tubes & wires.

2 Likes

“New Wave” by Against Me! I can see him listening to this when he’s working. Plus it has a message of trying to heal and also I like the line “is there anybody on the receiving end?” for him as well.
[https://youtu.be/JfF7fARLj9A]

“A Real Hero” by College & Electric Youth, I just feel like he would listen to the pseudo 80s sound, and this song kinda goes with the Fair Play thing, I think
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPIge292rVI
-C

3 Likes

Okay, sorry I am late. This didn’t show up on my thread, and my search bar is so weird.
Wrong Side of Heaven-FFDP:
His intelligence always puts him at odds with everyone
Good Life-3DG
He tends to take a less heroic approach to heroism
Dance with the Devil-Breaking Benjamin
Future’s End from Holt’s POV in a nutshell
Question Everything- FFDP
Michael’s philosophy. Question everything. It is all science and advancement to him
Fly on the Wall-1000 Ft Krutch
His vision for the future.
Kids Aren’t Allright- Offspring
How Terrific approaches those below him, wasted chances.

Hope you like this week submissions at 23:00
slips in form as doors are closing
Right on time. :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@capo-mage - So, so true! :wink: Also… parallel bars? That would be fantastic! Always been a little green with envy towards those talented in gymnastics. :stuck_out_tongue:

@thrakaboom - Ohh, I love these! With “New Wave,” the portion of the lyrics that you mention stands out to me, too, when thinking about the turmoil he’s been through, and how obstacles like that can make you feel rather disconnected from others. At the same time, “A Real Hero” reminds me of the 80s covers of 90s+ songs I listen to, so that’s right up my alley. I can see MT taking a moment out of a hectic day to ease into the head space a song like that puts you into, as well. It has the most interesting centering, and calming effect. Thanks for the excellent combo addition, C! :slight_smile:

@anon52107441 - Your timing’s perfect! It’s mine that’s terrible, and I apologize for not responding in time to your post on the thread before this one! I’m glad you found it, though, and am already loving your choices, and how thorough you were in picking out certain aspects of his life and personality worth highlighting.

One of the ones that stood out as interesting was “Wrong Side of Heaven,” because of the logic put behind it. When going through is background, I was wondering about how his personality and view of life could affect his interactions with others, and because he seems a bit introverted, as well, I was thinking that might be most influential, but considering your post, I wonder if his intelligence has a heavier effect. Will keep that in mind when reading through his comic in the future! :thinking:

As a side note, still working on the playlist situation, by the way, so I’ll let you know when there are updates! :slight_smile: And adding the link to this week’s post, too! It can be found here!

2 Likes

I wish I had the arm strength to do that. I used to, but never did gymnastics. Since it’s not the case anymore I’ll offer a humble brag. When I did have that type of arm strength. I weighed 145lbs in high school & benched 315lbs. I won’t list any other stats except I ran a 4.4 forty yard dash. Oh the days of youth, so long ago.

1 Like

@MissInkBlot. The new one isn’t up yet correct?

1 Like

It is up - Static Shock

2 Likes

Thank u @Pow-Pow I will now begin the hunt.

1 Like

Thank you for the help, @Pow-Pow, and yours for bringing that to attention, @capo-mage - I’ll be sure to start posting the link to the new thread at the end of each week’s for everyone. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh you’re fine. I didn’t mean it as a project lol. I guess hunt was the wrong word. I found today’s super fast I woke up maybe 10mins b4 I posted on today’s. I found it right away tho. I think I searched last time in everything DC & it brought all the old ones up., but not the new one. I still found it tho. Thank u tho & yes thank u @Pow-Pow for the heads up.

1 Like

That will be very helpful. MM is never shows up in my thread.