šŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Black History Month Spotlight - Black Lightning! šŸŽ¶

Salutations, DC Music Masters!

Ready to thaw out from last weekā€™s avalanche of subzero temps and tunes? In case your teeth are still chattering, weā€™ll spare you our questions (how cold was Mr. Freezeā€™s shoulder, and how badā€™s your resulting frostbite? :cold_face:). Check out our playlist below as you warm up! :sunglasses:

• ā€œSnow Miser,ā€ by Dick Shawn (from The Year Without Santa Claus & Batman & Robin)
  • ā€œCold Cold Heart,ā€ by Hank Williams
  • ā€œWinter Kills,ā€ by Alison Moyet (Yazoo)
  • ā€œCalifornia Dreaminā€™,ā€ by The Mamas & The Papas
  • ā€œCold Cold Cold,ā€ by Cage The Elephant
  • ā€œWintertime Love,ā€ by The Doors
  • ā€œGone Away,ā€ by The Offspring
  • ā€œCold,ā€ by Five Finger Death Punch
  • "World So Cold,ā€™ by Three Days Grace
  • ā€œSo Cold,ā€ by Breaking Benjamin
  • ā€œCastle Of Glass,ā€ by Linkin Park
  • ā€œSweater Weather,ā€ by The Neighborhood
  • ā€œCold,ā€ by Crossfade
  • ā€œCold Cold Ground,ā€ by Tom Waits
  • ā€œRemedy,ā€ by Abandoned Pools
  • ā€œCold,ā€ by Static-X
  • ā€œIce Ice Baby,ā€ by Vanilla Ice
  • ā€œCold Ethel,ā€ by Alice Cooper
  • ā€œI am a Rock,ā€ by Simon and Garfunkel
  • ā€œCool,ā€ by The Jonas Brothers
  • ā€œHazy Shade of Winter,ā€ by The Bangles
  • ā€œUndone - The Sweater Song,ā€ by Weezer
  • ā€œRaining in My Heart,ā€ by Buddy Holly

This Weekā€™s Theme:
Black History Month Spotlight - Black Lightning!

All this month in DC Universe, weā€™re spinning the tunes in honor of the African-American heroes who have done their part to break down the walls between us, both on and off the page. :muscle: As such, this week, we begin our celebration of Black History Month by shining a spotlight on Black Lightning, DC Comicā€™s first headlining superhero! :cloud_with_lightning:

What tunes make you think of this crime-fighting, community-minded educator?
Let us know in the comments below!

As an added bonus, check out the info below on Black Lightningā€™s creation and origin!

Black Lightning: A History

In 1977, writer Tony Isabella was signed on to develop DCā€™s first starring black character. He pitched the idea for Jefferson Pierce, AKA Black Lightning. The character continued to make appearances in other titles over the years, including a Justice League of America story line in which Pierce is offered but turns down a position with the group.

Jefferson Pierce grew up poor and with few expectations put on him. But rather than coast through life, he decided to challenge himself at every turn. As an adult, he entered the Olympics and won three gold medals. He then furthered his education, then turned to teaching so he could help young people realize their own potential as he had. But gang violence and criminals kept threatening his community and his students. Which is when Jefferson Pierce decided to no longer hide from the metahuman abilities he had been born with and started fighting evil as Black Lightning.

Black Lightningā€™s origins have had a major impact on the comic book industry and DC lore.

Want to know more?
Here are a few articles that delve deeper into Black Lightningā€™s electrifying influence!
Comic: Black Lightning (1977-)
Comic: Black Lightning (1995-)
Comic: Black Lightning: Year One (2009-)
Comic: Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands (2017-)
Black Lightning: Encyclopedia Page
The Evolution of Black Lightning
Whoā€™s Who in the Outsiders

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each weekā€™s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, weā€™ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! Weā€™ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our ā€œWhatā€™s the Last Song You Heard?ā€ thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

6 Likes

Hmm, when thinking about Black Lightningā€™s backstory, NFā€™s ā€œGrindinā€™ā€ came to mind again because of how it speaks about working hard to get to the top, but since Iā€™ve already used that song, Iā€™m going to go with these two, both by Imagine Dragons, and both of which I think do a great job fulfilling a similar message instead (many of IDā€™s songs seem to, now that I think about it). :slight_smile: Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with this week!

Choices - ā€œBelieverā€ and ā€œThunder,ā€ by Imagine Dragons:

3 Likes

With storms come lightning and, of course, rain.

2 Likes

Donā€™t Sweat the Technique - Eric B. & Rakim

Like Jeff, this song just has an effortless cool vibe throughout, and since heā€™s a principal, thereā€™s no cursing for the kids. Plus I can totally see this playing during a fight scene on Black Lightning

2 Likes

Van Halen: Hot for Teacher was 1st to pop in ( hot as in heat from lightning & heā€™s a teacher).
Metallica: Ride the Lightning for my usual 2 pack. Always the 1st two I think of instantly after seeing the topic is what go I go with.

1 Like

I can see him listening to ā€œBlack Man in a White World (Ghetto Gettysburg Address) by Micheal Kiwanuka, from the Get Down soundtrack. I can see he and his daughters watching that show together, and I feel like this song would speak to him.
Shout out to the best principal in the DCU!
-C

2 Likes

Ahh @Vroom that wasnā€™t there when I looked the 1st time. Ok Iā€™ll have to actually think now.

1 Like

Iā€™ll replace ride the lightning Vroom mustā€™ve been adding it b4 I went to post & it didnā€™t show up til I was done posting. Electric Boogie by Marcia Griffiths

1 Like

@capo-mage Thereā€™s no such thing as listing classic Metallica too often. Gā€™head and jot it down if you like.

2 Likes

I just put electric boogie aka the electric slide & saw u put another & I was like please not again lol. I spent too much time explaining why & had to re-pick. Youā€™re right tho. Iā€™ve never picked the same song as anyone b4. If it had to happen, Iā€™ll take it being Metallica.

1 Like

Thunderstruck- AC/DC

5 Likes

Aww, Iā€™m already excited about what Iā€™m seeingā€¦ both for songs Iā€™ve heard before, and some delightful choices that I havenā€™t yet. Be back in a few days, as per my usual, but giving an early thank you to you all for meeting this weekā€™s challenge with such gusto. :wink:

Hear hear! :clap: :smiley:

2 Likes

Black lightning reminds me of peace and love :heart:

michael jackson - black or white

marina - to be human
2 Likes

I actually donā€™t know much about BL. All Iā€™ve seen him in is CW crossovers, Final Crisis, and random cameos. I know his story, but thatā€™s it. Nevertheless, I will try my best:
Lightning Crashes-Live: The struggle all heroes face, realizing that they are fallible.
Remember When-Bad Wolves: How BL remembers growing up in the hood, and how he wishes others had gotten out of that lifestyle.
Another Brick in the Wall-Pink Floyd: how he balances being a teacher with being a hero

4 Likes

This is a tough one, first instinct was to go with 2 pacs Changes, but then I thought that while Jefferson would agree to the changes thing being great and strengthening one another in the community, maybe itā€™s still too crime-positive for BL, too explicit for this forum and too west coast for a Georgian teacher, so I had to go somewhere else. :slight_smile:

Anyway, itā€™s a bit cheesy but Iā€™m going with Hall of Fame by The Script. It feels really spot on with the inspiring values he wants to give his students.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n7OVvBilvcs

3 Likes

Iā€™m trying to justify this choice. The driving beat, the funk, atomic powers, and dog catchers? I can see Black Lightning beating up thugs to this soundtrack.

Atomic Dog - George Clinton

2 Likes

Black Lightning as a cause for good will lead the revolution in Freeland (really Cleveland, because thatā€™s where Tony Isabella says he lives and Tonyā€™s from my home town).

The Revolution will not be Televised! - Gil Scott-Heron

2 Likes

I have to admit I didnā€™t know too much Black Lightning, so I read about him in DC Encyclopedia which is really handy, so hereā€™s a song I think would fit him perfectly, it was play for a bit in Shazam! when shooting lightning, with that and Jefferson Pierce being in Olympics, I think ā€˜Eyes of the tigerā€™ by Journey would be really good. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Vroom - I love how, when I left, your post was a certain length, and now there are even more songs added! Talk about a wide array of choices, too! These were all the ones that came to mind for you when thinking of Black Lightning, so Iā€™m curious, is there one you think heā€™d consider a favorite? Or any youā€™d assign to specific playlists he could have? :hushed:

@arkhamassassin - Ohh, how I remember that song. I had a blast listening to that in the past, so itā€™s good hearing it make its way to the list. I completely agree with your rationale, too - when watching Black Lightning with family for the first time, one of my relatives mentioned something similar, about how he has an effortless, suave sophistication about him thatā€™s really enjoyable. :slight_smile:

@capo-mage - lol, your logic kills me! In a good way, I mean, since your mind works in a way similar to mine, it seems. :stuck_out_tongue: Interesting seeing Metallica show up more than once on here, too - as you mentioned seeing, youā€™re certainly in good company with @Vroom, there! And regarding ā€œElectric Boogie,ā€ I have no words to describe how much I like that song. o.o That song and its video gives me the best ā€œReading Rainbowā€ and ā€œGullah Gullah Islandā€ nostalgia vibesā€¦ such great choices!

@thrakaboom - Thatā€™s quite the choiceā€¦ Iā€™m not familiar with the show in question, but that song certainly makes me want to be (told you all, I miss out on all the good stuff! lol). I love the general sound of it, the musical time period it reminds me of, and can see where your explanation comes into play, too - definitely something both he and his daughters would be able to appreciate, I agree! :slight_smile:

@AnonymousBB - Ahh, never one to turn down AC/DC, I was as excited about hearing that again today as I was when I first posted on Monday. :stuck_out_tongue: Itā€™s a joy to see everyone getting in the spirit of it with the titles chosen and how they fit in so well, so I love this choice! Thanks for inspiring me to return to my AC/DC playlist laterā€¦ turns on ā€œFor Those About to Rock.ā€ :wink:

@seitan - Yes, indeed, Iā€™m always happy to commence with a listening of his songs! That videoā€™s intro is fantastic on its own, but then thereā€™s the song, tooā€¦ definitely fits the theme of breaking down walls between us, well. :slight_smile: That was my first time listening to Marina, thoughā€¦ wow, her voice is beautiful, and the lyrics are so powerful (that song reminds me a little of Jemā€™s ā€œThey,ā€ now that I think about it)! Both of your choices are such a good accompaniment for the other - fantastic combo!

@AmberButane2814 - Oh, no worries at all about not knowing much about BL. Thatā€™s another reason why I like our character spotlights, since it gives us all the chance to learn about characters we might not know much about, and there are no wrong choices here, so weā€™re happy to hear yours! :slight_smile:

Since youā€™re most familiar with him through the show, howā€™d you end up liking what you saw? Based on your songs and reasoning, you have a notable grasp on things, and just going through each of their videos and lyrics shows you put a lot of work into finding choices that applied well. Iā€™m new to Live and Bad Wolves, but can already feel theyā€™re new favorites! :hushed:

@Pow-Pow - hehe, you know, I really do appreciate when you take us through your thought process, and let us know what songs you wouldā€™ve chosen were you not having to worry about the Forum Guidelines. It gives people the ability to check it out on their own if they wish (though for the record, I agree with you about 2Pac being one that comes to mind for a number of reasons). Still, you do a beautiful job with your 2nd choices, too. I love The Script, but never end up listening to all of a bandā€™s songs, so that one flew under the radar. It gives all the feels, so I can only thank you for sharing! It really is an inspiring one. :slight_smile:

@TravisMorgan - Lol, ā€œAtomic Dogā€™sā€ too good to need justification! :stuck_out_tongue: The beat, alone, explains why BL might like it, orā€¦ well, at least why Iā€™d like it, agreed. On the list, it goes! :wink: I think the same applies to the second song you chose - it applies perfectly, but even if it didnā€™t, Iā€™d want it added because of how good it is! Excellent choices for the week, @TravisMorgan! :slight_smile:

@Reaganfan78 - Aww, had you not mentioned not knowing much about BL, I wouldnā€™t have been able to tell with a great choice like that! :wink: I can understand why it was used for a scene involving lightning, tooā€¦ there is something thatā€™s always been rather electrifying about it for me. Definitely the overall feel of the song, but the words do an exquisite job in pumping up the listening, too, and I agree, itā€™s a perfect accompaniment for his being an Olympian! :muscle: :smiley:

6 Likes

Thank u @MissInkBlot Iā€™m honored that u would compare our thinking process, thatā€™s a huge compliment for me. Definitely in good company with @Vroom. Thatā€™s my fellow Dr. Pepper enthusiast (his words I donā€™t steal great phrases) & buddy since the rip of this site.

4 Likes