đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday - Batman: Universe (The Riddler) đŸŽ¶

Laughed so hard at the mere suggestion in the blurred section! And, yes, I saw it through. Full on immersive experience. I can’t thank you enough! It’s the LOL mind candy I never knew I needed. Life gets rough? Let the music play & laugh like an insane person at the movie in your mind. I am forever grateful!

2 Likes

Hi! :grin: You’re very welcome @njm0923. Laughter and creativity are definitely good for the soul. If you click on the swole-riddler link in @MissInkBlot quote, theres more weirdness from everyone in the HQ MTM.:+1:
Have a great weekend! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Done! Many thanks!!!
Have a Wonderful weekend!:blush:

2 Likes
5 Likes

Nick Waterhouse - This is a Game

:riddlerhqtas:

4 Likes

@Reaganfan78 - The small font I’ve been seeing you post with around the forum has me laughing, lol! Putting it to good use this week with quite the head start, I see? :wink: It’s as appropriate as your music choices - I love the time capsule the first song feels like. It catches you off guard with the beginning, but as soon as you get into the music, just judging by how it makes me want to say “groovy,” makes it easy to feel as if you’re no longer in 2020, that’s for sure. :stuck_out_tongue: I had a feeling Seal was going to make it on the board this week, though
 that song’s so wistful, I can’t help but love it more with every listen. :heart: I like the more somber, suspenseful choice to end last with, too, and think the display picture depicts the song perfectly. Makes me think of him peering from the shadows
 and planning for destruction. :grimacing:

@D4RK5TARZ - Oh, “Bad Days” is a good choice! I like how we’re pulling directly from shows and movies this week, since it not only reminds us of old songs we might’ve forgotten about, but inspires us to check out those we might’ve gone too long without seeing. :slight_smile: I’m also glad you included “Riddle Me” to the mix. The lyrics pull at the fabric of the mind when it says, “Who owns the chains that bind your wrists?” and “Who built the machine that washed your brain?” Can a riddle like that truly be solved? And once it is, what do we do with the answer(s)?

:laughing: 
 that comment about Method Man (lol, it’s the emoji that got me) - I can’t say I disagree, though. You’ll end up more than just a little sorry if you don’t respect the authority! :stuck_out_tongue: Ah, and to share “Somebody to Love,” like that, and then spoil us with both versions, too? It’s appreciated, as is the rationale described - it encourages us to work through the riddles that make up his motives, and try to see things from his perspective. I must say, that angle is one that fascinates me, too. :slight_smile:

@Pow-Pow - Lol! I love how you’re like, “the song doesn’t mean anything, btw.” :stuck_out_tongue: I figured that the nonsensical nature of it was the point, though, being cryptic in a way a riddle might. The way he pops up in the video is appropriately ghostly and mysterious, slipping in and out of your vision, and at times, doing so so quickly you could blink and miss him. I agree about that being a fantastically good song, but also a great video, too, with the creativity of both being gleefully addicting. That plot twist at the end has me going :hushed: 
 mind blown! :slight_smile:

@patterson65.37405 - Ooh, her voice is a delight! It has an interesting quality to it, like a bell ringing, its sound traveling through the air of a quiet night with crystal clear clarity. And the advice given is priceless
 kneejerk conclusions are as bad as assumptions. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Plus, it’s just a fun song to listen (ahem, and dance) to. The playful quality about it is lovely!

@LDFM - My goodness, talk about a blast from the past. Banjo-Kazooie is (not was, always will be, lol) ahmazing! I love that song choice, and can imagine it meshing well with the likes of Jim Carrey’s portrayal of him. It has a similar feel of kookiness to it. But, that’s in the same vein as what you later say, too, about the showboating. I went through the different portrayals to be found for him onscreen, and there’s a scene in BTAS his solving a riddle during a party, and saying the secret behind doing so is that “you just have to be a genius”- it makes me think of the song you chose. Right up his alley, in my opinion. :slight_smile:

@ajm08g - Ooh, “Letter From a Thief” is the sort of song I could see used for a video tribute to the Riddler, definitely! Though your mention of that particular part of BTAS makes me want to go and check it out, since just the thought of being stuck in his mind gives me the willies, and makes me realize how appropriate the scenery of that album color is
 desolate and frightening. :eyes: “The Meddler” has a great title, especially when applied to the tug of war between the Joker and the Riddler. You can hear the strain in the singer’s voice - the rawness, and abrasive friction that would result from so brutal a battle. It’s seriously effective. Likewise, though, I can’t put into words how much the “1812 Overture” clicked in my head when I heard it. I see what you mean! :hushed: It’s bold, and explosive, and full of fireworks! Equally well-suited for an enthralling fight between those two, as the previous song was! :slight_smile:

@TheCosmicMoth - Lol I love the rundown you gave describing him
 made me jokingly think, “he’s a simple man with two simple interests.” xD And, that in mind, I can see why you chose that song, too. The music video is as much fun as the song, itself, is, and I find its describing the big kaboom as being what brings them together to be funny in this sense, since the love is as much for the bomb as the riddle of a song would be. :stuck_out_tongue: Adding The Beach Boys to the list with such a charming song is a great touch, too! It does double duty, as you mentioned, in having an alternate version, but also in how it does make me think of Batman and what drives him forward daily, oddly enough. For the record, it’s also a good song for those of us easily stumped by puzzles, in general, reminding us that there’s an answer. We just have to find it. :wink:

@LuciferComplex140.80394 - My goodness, that assortment of songs is amazing! “Anything You can Do, I Can Do Better,” is something I can see a man of such intelligence saying. :stuck_out_tongue: As is, well, to some degree, the song Kermit sings (lol whenever I hear it, I wonder why it’s been so long since I last heard it. It’s so good). Really enjoying how you went through so many songs touching on puzzles and riddles, but also deprivation (“Lost for Words”) and pursuit/escape. Many birds, but one stone of a post (and a weighty, very appreciated stone, at that). :slight_smile:

@Hiraeth - Now that’s a riddle that sticks with you, with a song as deep as the ocean to match it. I appreciate your sharing it with us - when going through this week’s theme for songs to choose, I focused a lot on his attributes and personality, but hadn’t thought to come at things the way you did. Even if I had, after hearing that, I don’t think I could’ve done it with such skill, either way. :slight_smile: Beautiful song!

@DeSade-acolyte - Oh, yes! I did see your thread, and your mention of this week’s MTM in it. Thank you for doing so, I was delighted, and look forward to catching up on the posts in your Psychology thread (
if there’s one noodle I like to try cracking, it’s typically the noodle belonging to a supervillain :stuck_out_tongue:). As per the usual, your list and reasons do not disappoint!

Fun Boy Three’s song has something amazing about it
 the hollow sound of the beat that runs throughout it, from its first seconds to the end, in particular, makes me think of the possibility of actions reflecting a desire to fill a hole felt internally. As such, with that starting point, we go through “the same old song and dance,” until, indeed, “one thing leads to another.” The result? Good or bad, we must wait and see. :eyes: Whatever it is, the riddles begin the moment the listener presses play. :headphones:

Your rundown at the end of your list is fantastic, by the way. I’m rubbish at riddles, personally (yet can’t escape the desire to try them, lol), but if you were given the list of songs provided, do you think you could figure out the riddles in time? The feeling of being up against the clock is one of the reasons why I had a thing for the Saw games, along with the one you set up here
 it’s as if their naturally making you pull your mind apart as a first step, just to try and put it together again as the second, is the first puzzle to solve, and only after that can you continue onto the others.

You have to think outside of the box, but first you have to actually find the outer boundaries of that box so you can sufficiently escape it. That’s the feeling I get from this week’s list for you
 lots of questions in front of our eyes, with their answers existing at the outer boundaries of the mind, hidden from view, and all of their connections as curious and hard to decipher as what you describe. :slight_smile:

@ejdias.95910 - Aww, I absolutely love the idea of “Muscle Bustle” and “Physical” being used for the week! What you said brings up memories of the week we devoted to The Joker’s 80th Anniversary, and how some of the songs seemed perfectly described as possible guilty pleasures of his, lol. Likewise with this, I agree! The first two can be his “feel good, pep him up” songs, while the last two are the themes played as he plans/carries out some dastardly deeds. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Razzzcat - Hey there! Doing okay over here, all things considered; hoping for the same for you! :slight_smile: Thank you for spending some time on Gotham - I quite like him on the show, too, so you’re not alone. “You Know I’m No Good” fits so well
 and particularly an instrumental version of it, yes. :hushed: Because you’re able to focus on just the music, itself, it offers a small bit of controlled chaos, for me, due to the bit of static heard. It’s perfect. “10x10” does an excellent job slowing down the tempo of the list, and I can see the riddle-like quality of it. It leaves me asking
 what’s the answer to the riddle?

Oh, goodness, I saw the name of that song and BOOM, it starts playing in my head all ferocious-like. Nothing but glorious flexing and posing going on there. But those animal print pants are somethin’, I tell you
 :laughing: “Speaking in Tongues” feels like it offers the full brunt of chaos mentioned earlier, but with a completely different, frenetic, incessant energy I can’t get enough of. The beat, alone, is already stuck in my head, but I’m left with no complaints about it! :wink:

@ralphsix - ah, that gives the best “Self Esteem” vibes from The Offspring, though its video is much stranger (was that a sliding coffin? :hushed:), in a good way. Beck’s music is always pretty interesting, and doubly so when applied to a character like this, because of how all over the place some songs’ lyrics can be. That said, while your reason for using it might be different, I do like the confusion it gives off, perplexing and contorting the mind into a pretzel in the same way riddles might. I am intrigued! :thinking:

@seitan - Ooh, now, if that doesn’t have you nodding your head and tapping your feet, your mute is clearly on. :laughing: But, in all added seriousness, I really like this pick. Not only does the singer make me feel as if I’m watching part of a Gotham episode, but the concept of “this is a game” brings to mind the phrase of “riddle me this,” with the danger mentioned acting as a reminder of how one must think twice
 and three times, and preferably a fourth time, minimum, before dealing with someone like him. To the lyrics going: “But this is a game/ And those who play with skill / Aren’t quite saying it’s do or die / But anyway, you’re gonna get killed,” all I can say is
 indeed. :eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Hello @MissInkBlot :wave:

:thinking: you know
I’m not sure. This is one of those songs that changes meaning for me, and it’s a partly why I added it to the list. That sound and tempo felt right too.

And for Gotham :facepunch:t3:

1 Like

Hi @MissInkBlot
We’ve got several including Ra’s Al Ghul, Vandal Savage & Sinestro.

Ra’s is the foil to Batman.
Vandal Savage is immortal. What does that do to ones perspective.
Sinestro is my favorite so far. What Johns did with him is remarkable. And I think I make a preferred good argument that Sinestro is the embodiment of Nietzschean Will To Power.

It’s such a blast.

I am lousy at riddles, unless they are in the form of logic puzzles. But, as I was going through songs, I thought, “ok, this has a cryptic enough element to it that itself could be a riddle.
Picasso visors the Planet of the Apes?
Ok
 lemon fire brigade is the answer, so what’s the question?
623 is one of my top favorite songs of all time. I still can’t work out the significance of those numbers. Only two are prime. If you do a multiplication Zatanna style 3*2=6, but with just the three numbers as the only lyrics, there is no means to infer any mathematical equation.
Route 66 is fun, with all the possibilities it raises. And I prefer the Depche Mode to Nat King Cole, as the former is more fun to dance to.

The only thing is maybe it’s not a box. A dodecahedron perhaps.

Or perhaps like Nigma himself, I’m just playing a different game :smiling_imp:

1 Like

@Razzzcat – I’m so glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t know (feels like I need a question mark on my forehead, too! lol). But if the sound and tempo felt right, then the spirit knows what the answer is, and maybe, just maybe, that’s all that matters. :thinking: And yes, indeed! :facepunch:t3:

@DeSade-acolyte – Indeed, I’ve been meaning to go through all of your threads for that club. It’s a fantastic idea, and there’s so much fertile ground to cover when it comes to that area. :blush: The area of villainy is one I’m still getting acquainted with (lol, that makes me laugh to say :P), so I have a feeling hearing your, and the other members’ perspectives on each will open me up to an assortment of new ideas I’d never uncovered on my own. In addition to the one on the Riddler, I’ll check out those you listed for a start this week! :heart:

Ah, so that’s how you went about it – it reminds me of those Escape Rooms and the riddles/puzzles you’d find in them. You did (and would do) a great job coming up with them, and I kind of want to see a music-based version of such now, based on those listed. Oh, the mental pandemonium that would ensue. :eyes: Just the dodecahedron is terrifying enough to make a person hope the real game being played is just checkers and not some version of the 3+ person, 3D chess it feels like, instead! :laughing:

2 Likes