🎶 Mixtape Monday - Batman: Universe (The Riddler) 🎶

Greetings, everyone!

As we’re sure many can relate to, there’s probably a song or two that stands out as an important part of our childhood, and when we hear them, they bring to mind memories, experiences, and feelings in ways only music can. Thanks to you, the Super Sons now has a playlist that’ll do the same for them, custom created and curated by their very own, ever-so-musically gifted DC Fan Family! :heart:

For the full playlist, find all of the songs below!
  • “The Boys Are Back In Town,” by Thin Lizzy
  • “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up,” by The Ramones
  • “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up,” by Tom Waits
  • “My Generation,” by The Who
  • “Points of Authority,” by Linkin Park
  • “Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man),” by Styx
  • “Reach for the Sky,” by Social Distortion
  • “Batman Theme,” by Neal Hefti (from Batman (1960’s))
  • “Weapon of Choice,” by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
  • “Fly,” by Nick Drake
  • “Carousel,” by Blink-182
  • “Baba O’Riley,” by The Who (from CSI: New York)
  • “Hard Times,” by Baby Huey & The Baby Sitters
  • “The Hissing of Summer Lawns,” by Joni Mitchell
  • “You Haven’t Done Nothin’,” by Stevie Wonder
  • “All the Madmen,” by David Bowie
  • “As The World Falls Down,” by David Bowie
  • “Cats In The Cradle,” by Harry Chapin
  • “Fortunate Son,” by CCR
  • “Simple Man,” by Lynyrd Skynrd
  • “Carry On My Wayward Son,” by Kansas
  • “No One Knows,” by Queens of the Stone Age
  • “Rise Above,” by Black Flag
  • “Satellite,” by Rise Against
  • “Help Is On The Way,” by Rise Against
  • “Be Somebody,” by Thousand Foot Krutch
  • “Welcome to the Family,” by Avenged Sevenfold
  • “A World Without Heroes,” by KISS
  • “20th Century Boy,” by T. Rex
  • “You’re My Best Friend,” by Queen
  • “Boys Keep Swinging,” by David Bowie
  • “Where the Boys Are,” by Connie Francis
  • “Follow You, Follow Me,” by Genesis
  • “Two Brothers” (from Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln)
  • “My Best Friend,” by Tim McGraw
  • “Friend Like Me,” by Robin Williams (from Aladdin)
  • “Heroes and Friends,” by Randy Travis
  • “Grow Up,” by Simple Plan

This Week’s Theme:
Batman: Universe - The Riddler!

“When is it a good idea to take things that don’t belong to you?”
I put it in riddle form. Out of respect." - Batman

That’s, right… Batman: Universe is making its way to the service this week, and we’re so excited for the chance to not only hear your thoughts on the title, but see what songs you’d choose to represent the title’s main villain: The Riddler! :riddlerhqtas:

Having come across the new giggle-worthy names now applied to “The Smartest Person In the Room” (aka, ahem… “Buff Riddler” … aka “Swole-Riddler:stuck_out_tongue:), we happily invite you to find songs you’d choose for any version of him you’d like, be it in keeping with the plot from Harley Quinn or comics such as Batman: Universe!

Share your picks by dropping them in the comments below!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

8 Likes

So, finally (yes, finally, you didn’t think this gif was a joke, did ya? :eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:) been getting to the show Gotham and Telltale’s Batman series, and doing anything like that usually means also, at some point, getting into the tons of fandom tribute videos available on ze youtube.*

With all of that, and because of how our encyclopedia page goes into how his ambitions include wanting recognition for being as sharp as a tack as he is, I decided to go with:

Fall Out Boy’s, “Centuries” :slight_smile:

Also re-using “Hello Zepp,” by Charlie Clouser from our earlier thread featuring him in passing - love the level of creepiness it brings and puts me in a Gotham state of mind:

Now, please excuse me while I go back to giggling over our new nicknames for him. Hearing Clayface exclaim, “Swole!” upon seeing him in 2x10 still tickles my funny bone, lol. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

*(I’m kind of torn between begging for someone to save me, and wallowing in the amazing creativity to be found. I do need saving, though, since the “related vids” section has me so far down a rabbit hole :stuck_out_tongue: These fan pairings are too gosh darn adorable… :laughing:).

9 Likes

Riddle me this, what’s small and happy does Riddler likes? Answer: Happy music!:grinning:

1 Like

I’m adding 1 more song, This song was written and recorded by Buddy Holly just before his death, it’s called, ‘Learning The Game.’ I think it’s a good fit for The Riddler. :riddlerhqtas:

8 Likes

The first song that I think of when I am pondering The Riddler is Bad Days from Flaming Lips thanks to Batman Forever.

When thinking about Riddler it would be a tragedy if Riddle Me by UB40 wasn’t mentioned

Method Man once again proves that even one member of Wu-Tang Clan ain’t nuthin to
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: with on his track from the Batman Forever soundtrack aptly named The Riddler

But maybe the root of all of The Riddler’s angst is because he needs Somebody to Love sung by Jim Carrey.

Here is the original band singing the same song Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love with special guest David Crosby.

7 Likes

Nik Kershaw - The Riddle

The lyrics are pure nonsense. But the song is called The Riddle, and I’m pretty sure that the Riddler is sneaking around unlicensed in the video. :joy: Also, it’s a great great song, so that’s my pick for the week

5 Likes

Here’s a song whose title is some good advice for anyone trying to figure out the Riddler’s clues, courtesy of Annette Funicello:

6 Likes

Love oldies, and I have never heard her before. This was a gem. Thank you!

3 Likes

Got some unusual picks this week.
First one, The Riddler seems like the type of guy who’d host a gameshow:
“Grunty’s Furnace Fun”, by Grant Kirkhope (from Banjo-Kazooie)

Second, I’d also maybe put him up there with a lot of villain’s that maybe show boat or go into theatrics a bit more?
“There’s No Business Like Show Business”, by Ethel Merman (from Annie Get Your Gun)

5 Likes

Thanks, I have a preference for obscure stuff like that.

1 Like

Ah, The Riddler. A good riddle as to what songs I could think of for this enigmatic villain. :thinking: :smile:

First, this one came to mind from the band Chevelle. I was reminded of the time in Batman The Animated Series when Batman actually entered the mind world of The Riddler. I believe Mr. Nygma would have preferred if Batman stayed there… Thanks Robin for helping him get out! :batman_hv_5:

Next up, I thought of this song considering the story of the great battle with The Joker in The War of Jokes and Riddles story with Joker trying to meddle away control from The Riddler in Gotham. :joker_hv_2: :riddlerhqtas:

Finally, I couldn’t help myself with this last track. I found it funny that most of the time in Batman the Animated Series, someway or another, something would end up being blown up with The Riddler involved. I also couldn’t help myself from laughing so much when towards the later part in the song when things really get going in imagining Batman giving 'ole Nygma a Pow or Bam one two punch. :joy:

4 Likes

I only have two for The Riddler. First, because he loves to ask questions and he loves bombs:

Next, I remember watching Batman TAS as a kid and Batman would sometimes get stumped by the occasional Riddle. This song, from one of my favorite albums, goes out to those moments. Also, the alternate version of this song is titled “Hang on to Your Ego,” and The Riddler certainly does:

5 Likes

Anything you can do I can do better. Bing Crosby and the Andrew Sisters.
It’s not easy being green Kermit the frog
Lost for words Pink Floyd
Everyone a puzzle 10,000 Maniacs
The riddle Helloween
Catch me if you can Alice Cooper

5 Likes

Edward Nygma mentioned a riddle that hit me kinda hard.

“I can bring tears to your eyes and resurrect the dead. I form in an instant and last a lifetime. What am I?”

3 Likes

Since we just got done with The Riddler for the psychologyofsupervillains I figured I’d do a take on this. Below are views I have on the premise of his psychology.

—————

Now let us examine Riddler’s psychology through music. First as his fundamental personality and then what songs he might use as riddles.

—————

The Riddler’s psyche.

T’aint what you do - Fun Boy Three

Same old song and dance -Aerosmith

One thing leads to another - The Fixx

—————

Songs as Riddles.

Picasso visita El Planeta De Los Simios - Adam and the Ants

Route 66 - Depeche Mode

Working in a coal mine - Devo

Sunday Girl (French version) - Blondie

Call me (Spanish version) - Blondie

Figure eight - Schoolhouse Rock

Lemon fire brigade - Haircut 100

From here to eternity - Giorgio Moroder

Dancing madly backwards - The Flirts

The Elements - Tom Lehrer

Girls on film - Duran Duran

623 - Classix Nouveaux

—————
What are the answers to the riddles? Who knows, but can you figure them out in time? Perhaps one or more is answered by the music’s time signature or length of the song.
Is a crime to take place at one of the cities named in Route 66. Or is it that the hostage can be found…sixty miles on route 6 or 6 miles on route 60.
“Why? Oh why? Lemon fire brigade, why.” (The answer of this riddle is given. Does that mean the real answer is solving the answer?)
Is he planning a modern art theft with all his goons doing the stealing dressed as gorillas?
Call me in Spanish…Is there a bomb placed inside the Spanish embassy that will only go off if a particular set of numbers are in the number dialed? Could those numbers be 623?
Or do the numbers 6, 2 & 3 mean something else?

5 Likes

Well…, if we’re talking about the “Swole” riddler from Harley Quinn then I’d suggest “Muscle Bustle”, by Donna Loren with Dick Dale and his Del-Tones from the old ‘60s Beach Party movies. Also “Physical” by Olivia Newton John. They could be his guilty pleasure songs. Then you have to add some Metal or Hard Rock depending on your perception so let’s go with Prong “Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck”, and Metallica’s “Am I Evil”, just for the adrenaline.

4 Likes

Hey @MissInkBlot! :wave:
I hope you’re doing well.
Definitely want to throw in a couple for Gotham. Might be an unpopular opinion, but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen of him on the show…

You Know I’m No Good- Marc Benevento (instrumental version)

10x10- Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The lyrics always sounded like a riddle to me, and it has a touch of melancholy for his early days on the show.

Now.

You know theres only one thing for me to do w/ this, right? I mean…swole-Riddler’s got the bod to match the brains now and he knows it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Going w/ lyric videos so you ONLY think of him feeling his muscles :muscle:t3: and flexing. Plz Enjoy.

Sexy and I Know It- LMFAO

Speaking in Tongues- Eagles of Death Metal. (This ones a twofer—for both versions :wink:)

5 Likes

Oh great, now I’m curious as to what the blur said. Nice picks though.

1 Like

Click on the blur to unblur it if you want.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks.

1 Like