đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: A Week of Westerns with Jonah Hex! đŸŽ¶

Ok, last one, “Don’t Take Your Guns to Town”, Johnny Cash.

4 Likes

If you’re going to have a song playing during a barroom brawl, this one has to be at least in the top three:

4 Likes

Roy Rodgers and Dale Evens Happy Trails
America horse with no name
Ratt A Wanted Man
Aerosmith Back in the saddle
Christopher Cross ride like the wind
Iron Maiden Run to the Hills
Bon Jovi Blaze of Glory
10,000 Maniacs The Painted Desert
Willie Nelson On The Road Again

5 Likes

To: @MissInkBlot

RE: Jonah Hex (scene scores from a unreleased film)

( ( Lonely Plains Drifter ) )
CĂłmo Me Quieres by Khruangbin

( ( Riding Into Town ) )
Arabesque Cookie by Duke Ellington

( ( What About My Face? ) )
Maria También by Khruangbin

( ( Interrupted Card Game ) )
Shimmy Shimmy Ya (Extended Instrumental) by O.D.B., produced by RZA

( ( Saloon Dust Up ) )
0% Finance (Instrumental) by GZA, produced by Jose “Choco” Reynoso

( ( Where Abouts? ) )
Nafas by El Zeb

( ( White Fawn ) )
Xhalation by Prince

( ( Sleeping Under the Stars ) )
Pita’s Room by Harry Gregson-Williams

( ( Trouble ) )
Gangster’s Theme by RZA

( ( Saddle-Up ) )
Publicity (Instrumental) by GZA, produced by Mathematics

( ( Executing the Plan ) )
Bring The Pain (Instrumental) by Method Man, produced by RZA

( ( Quickest Draw ) )
Cinema (Instrumental) by GZA, produced by Arabian Knight

( ( Justice Comes For The Wicked ) )
Bullet Tells The Truth by Harry Gregson-Williams

( ( Tall Bird ) )
Mermaid - Sade

#x:white_heart:|Doomx

5 Likes

I will confess I know absolutely nothing about Country Western music. Way not my scene. But a few pop into my head.

I can see these first two being used as background for Jonah Hex fight scenes. Especially since he’s a bounty hunter, and that means people will be after him as well. Or as a background for him riding into town.

The Devil Went Down To Georgia- Charlie Daniels

The Devil Comes Back To Georgia - Charlie Daniels

Whenever somebody mentions “Country Western” music, my brain always flashes back to a tiny scene from The Blues Brothers movie

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Waitress: Oh, we have both kinds , country AND western.

This could be used for a big saloon brawl scene or a panoramic shot of him traveling by horse.

Rawhide - The Blues Brothers

Having some Native American ancestry, I feel compelled to include this. While Jonah Hex has a moral code, I wonder how he would feel or act, had he come across “the trail of tears”.

8 Likes

Digging back into old TV movie themes:

Theme from"Black Saddle"
Theme “The Wild Wild West”
Theme “Magnificent 7”

6 Likes

The Devil’s Right Hand by Steve Earle
The Last Gunfighter Ballad by Guy Clark

4 Likes

I love country music, so I could probably come up with fifty songs, but I’ll just limit myself to two.

Pancho and Lefty is the one that first came to my mind. It’s dark and sad, which a lot of the best Westerns are.

And given his military background, I think Carry Me Back to Virginia by Old Crow Medicine Show is appropriate.

8 Likes

Greetings, @MissInkBlot!

So let’s just get right to it: You know how some songs have a subtle musical element or a small lyric that, w/o fail, leave you w/ a lump in your throat no matter how many times you’ve heard the song? Right. That’s why I’m going w/ these today! :dancer:t2: It’s a mood, thats for sure, lol :laughing: Sorry. Plz enjoy & take care.

House of the Rising Sun- Lauren O’Connell. Most oddly haunting version I own. Joan Baez has a really great version too, but :thinking:

Redemption Day- Sheryl Crow. The man in black​:point_down:t3: did a great cover of this, but we’re going w/ the original because it’s still my favorite version.

The Wanderer- Johnny Cash & U2, I maintain that this might just be his most beautiful song. Depends on the day. :wink: Today it is!

8 Likes

Johnny Cash: Folsom City Blues.
Hank Williams: Long Gone Lonesome Blues.
Hank Williams: Jambalaya.
The Band: We Can Talk.
Alan Jackson: Chattahooche.
Willie Nelson; Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow up To Be Cowboys.
Kris Kristofferson: Sunday morning Coming Down & Me and Booby McGee (famously redone by Joplin and her last recorded song).

8 Likes

I’m a huge Townes van Zandt fan, I just ordered a shirt.

2 Likes

And sorry it’s, “As Good As I Once Was”, by Toby Keith

2 Likes

Sorry, got a few more.

Roy Rogers, “Tumbling Tumbleweeds”
Tesla, “Modern Day Cowboy”
Willie Nelson, “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys”
Thin Lizzy, “The Cowboy Song” and
Texas Hippie Coalition, “Villain”, thanks again

4 Likes

You know I gotta join you in a shout-out to Prince! :purple_heart:

6 Likes

We got both kinds of music: Country and Western! Here’s way too many western themed songs.

Don’t Take Your Guns to Town - Johnny Cash

Giddy Up A Ding Dong - The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Cowboys and Indians - M

Cowboy Man - Lyle Lovett

North Dakota - Lyle Lovett

Wild West Hero - ELO

Ring of Fire - Wall of Voodoo

Los Rancheros - Adam and the Ants

The Human Beings - Adam and the Ants

Renegade - Warren Zevon

Frank and Jesse James - Warren Zevon

Johnny Reb - The Rainmakers

7 Likes

I have forgotten all about Old Crow Medicine Show!

3 Likes

Main Theme to Lonesome Dove by Basil Poledouris,
“I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry”, by Hank Williams Sr.,
“Good Old Boys, (Dukes of Hazard theme song)”, by Waylon Jennings,
“Midnight Rider”, by The Allman Brothers Band and
“Renegade”, by Styx. I saw a different one and thought this should be included too. Thanks

P.S. I apologize for getting carried away this week, the theme just spoke to me.

4 Likes

Well here’s my contribution, I’m surprised this wasn’t already up here

Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton

4 Likes

I’ll always join in for a shout-out to The Kid but I gotta shoutout Ol’ Dirty too, especially when it’s Shimmy Shimmy.

5 Likes

Catching up on this. :heart: Sending thanks for your kind words and patience during the (unexpectedly :disappointed:) slow healing process, everyone. :slight_smile:

@HubCityQuestion - Oh, yes, how could I have forgotten about Final Fantasy VI? Talk about a beaut there with that song, for sure. I’m glad you’re starting out things with an instrumental, which really feels like it sets the tone for the week. That one takes me to dusty roads and the sound of traveling horses. :slight_smile:

@TheRosses - Wow, does that bring back memories! And I can’t help but agree with that logic. If we must shoot it out, then let it be with the appropriate music, I tell ya! The first link didn’t work, unfortunately, but the second one did, and brought back the past memories I had of Ace Attorney back all over again. I still tend to overlook the background music for games when playing, but I like that that one stands out so much. Very hard to ignore!

@LDFM - Oooh, yes, please! You know, it’s been so long since I’ve done anything with Fallout that I completely forgot about songs like that being featured. You’re right, though, I’ve mentioned it before, with Fallout 3 being my favorite, so I’ve not had the chance to put much watch/playtime into the others. :slight_smile: Is New Vegas yours, then? Being a big fan of ballads like that, I’ll have to revisit it just for those songs - they’re so good! I can see why you went with “The Courier Walks Softly,” due to how sinister it feels, as if something’s lurking out there in the darkness. It reminds me of how, in the past, cowboys used to travel at night, and didn’t have the lights that we now have, to guide their way, especially if there was cloud cover. Looking at the display picture, there’s a lot about the game, in general, that seems to match really well, I agree. :thinking:

That “Saloon” Brawl, though! Those are some guys you don’t wanna get on the wrong side of, clearly - cheat at your own risk! xD That was SO invigorating, though
 I love the entire setup, from the costumes to the set they designed. SO well done, and going so well with “Happy Times,” though I can’t tell if that feeling of peace is before the brawl, or after, when everyone has no choice but to make nice while they’re being patched up by the same neighborhood doc, lol. Maybe a lil bit of both. :wink:

@Pow-Pow - Your skills are certainly unmatched when it comes to narrowing down songs. I couldn’t choose so the job went to my dad, as mentioned. But your choices! Lol, they’re enough to make a person giddy just from all of the good memories both movies bring, alone. So many horses
 so many saddles, so many shootouts: :stuck_out_tongue: The only downside I can think to express about your choices is that they make me want to start playing that old MS DOS game called, “Oregon Trail,” again, and while that, itself, is pretty awesome, I’m saddened by the fact that it’ll be a while before I can. Watching those movies will have to do in the meantime! :wink:

@Lincolnfan78 - And a g’day to you, buckaroo! :wink: That greeting you gave has me wanting to break out my best impression of Festus Haggen (I feel for all of you if that happens
 lol My poor family has to deal with it often enough. :eyes:). What an assortment of songs you’ve found! I love how the Toby Keith video gives us a glimpse of the traveling in a covered wagon
 and what a thing that must’ve been like, eh? o.o But I also can’t help but like your mixture of newer and older, more classic sounding songs, putting the likes of “Happy Trails” and “Ramblin’ Man,” next to “Long Black Train” and “A Good Run of Bad Luck,” to show that there’s no one way, or time, or flavor with which one can do “Western.” Such is yet another reason why it’s so easy a genre for me to like. :blush: 
not to mention the light-hearted sharing of Toy Story 2 and Smokey And the Bandit with the soulful song from Red Dead Redemption (oooh, I loooved, that one. It was so powerful that it sent a wonderful chill down the spine. Beautiful!). Talk about knocking it out of the park, m’friend!

@D4RK5TARZ - Ohhh, I love the way the singer’s voice in the Widespread Panic video begins
 the low, gruff, “We’ve got lotsa stuff planned,” emerging from the darkness was amazing! And sloooowly, it eases into that comfortable pacing, while managing to keep that captivating grittiness all the while. It sets up a beautiful contrast to your second song, which does end up feeling like a transition from one place to another, and one state of mind to another (in this case, maybe, coming to understand that while we can depend on some things changing, there are a precious few things we can also depend on to stay the same). The addition of live music being mixed in really adds to the flow of things, thank you! :slight_smile: Modest Mouse is one I’ve always wanted to hear play, and songs like that are the reason. It’s just as powerful live as it is otherwise. That’s certainly the case with REM, too. Thank you for helping to ensure I was left with no complaints! :wink:

@Jay_Kay – Indeed, for different reasons, it was a difficult one for me, too (which is why I had to seek the assistance of family), but I completely understand. :blush: Despite the mentioned trouble, you did a lovely job, and it’s impossible to tell that you encountered any obstacles at all – I couldn’t agree with you more on NIN, for instance. There’s a dark murkiness there that brings to mind the show, Deadwood, and since I’ve recently revisited it, Banshee (hmm, a bit of Tell Tale’s “The Walking Dead” series and “The Last of Us,” as well), which both have their own share of rural/Western ties in setting and plot. I love how it manages to remind me of so much while singularly being its own song.

I hadn’t heard heard Manson’s cover of “God’s Gonna Cut You Down,” before your sharing it, and it’s delightful. So well done. I agree, there’s a gritty edge added that’s distinctly Marilyn, and it makes it perfect for this, and someone who’s not your average cowboy. That’s not to snub the nose at Johnny, though (every time I hear him, I’m bowled over by his amazing his voice is), nor would I ever turn down the fantastic tunes of the stereotypical “average” cowboy (here’s lookin’ at you Clint. :heart: “For a Few Dollars More”!) Such a good combination of songs – thank you!

@arkhamassassin – Hootie! :blush: Really liked Darius Rucker’s music growing up, so I’m already won over by “Wagon Wheel.” It’s right up my alley, and certainly something I think acts as a puzzle piece fitting snugly onto this week’s puzzle! The way they weave together his and the other layers of voices in it makes me think of the way people make marbled cakes or other pastries? The way the two chosen, but opposing forces are side by side, behaving as if they’re dance partners (lol sorry, been doing recipe research, and came across some gorgeous marbling with food coloring, so that’s what pops into my head when I listen) – this is especially noticeable for his vs the female vocals featured. I’ve always liked Blake Shelton, too, so I enjoy the way “God’s Country” creates a nice contrast to Darius’ song. Much like the visuals featured in the music video, it’s fiery, with moments of explosive emotion that makes me think of it as the auditory equivalent of a snake bite or scorpion sting. :hushed: Fascinating juxtaposition, there. Awesome job! :smiley:

@Reforged – What on earth. Or, to stay with the theme, I’m gonna ask, “What in tarnation’s goin’ on, here?” :laughing: I can see this applying, though - it’s certainly a meal I’d eat often (
and actually did eat for breakfast >,<) were I a cowboy. :stuck_out_tongue:

@ejdias.95910 – Ahh, it looks like you covered all your bases with that list! :slight_smile: Your added commentary is great, too – nothing wrong with adding the old MNF theme, I agree! I also can’t help but laugh listening to “Rodeo IV Hoedown,” either, by the way. My brain immediately went, “Beef. It’s what’s for dinner.” :laughing: But in all seriousness, I like how the coupling of some of your songs makes for an upbeat retelling/feeling of having a good time with good people (friends, family, strangers, and the like
 despite the bar fight, smack talking, and resulting broken nose, of course! :eyes:), while there are more somber-toned ones like “Deguello” and the Morricone songs that act as much-needed reminder that not all is fun and games in the Wild West. :no_mouth:

Beautifully done, especially when looking through the other posts you post made (lol, no need to apologize for adding more songs – when one’s in the zone, that’s when the best ideas seem to bubble to the surface, so if any theme from MTM creates for you, please do share. It’s an honor to have been able to assist in the resulting fountain of creativity
 and shared mountain of ear candy. :stuck_out_tongue: As you can tell, I get just as carried away when mentioning the songs that the songs all of you share remind me of, too :heart:).

@ajm08g – Howdy Howdy! tips hat in greeting :blush: I love the adjustment in speech, and how long you maintained it for, by the way. Absolutely made my week (lol, my dad talks like Festus often, which is where I get m’likin’ for doin’ it, too, so having more join in on the fun’s purty excitin’). Somethin’ tells me this theme was an easy one for ya. :wink:

Now, speaking of your song choices
 oooh, I adore the perspective you took with “The Man Comes Around.” Just the thought and that accompaniment has me shaking in my boots. :stuck_out_tongue: But, then, adding “Dead or Alive” to the mix – boom, right in the kisser with that one! Such a smooth transition between the two due to similar tone, and the way they hit the ears when they land. Such is completely different from how “Country Boy” takes the ear’s reigns when getting in the driver’s seat. That’s a feel good song if I’ve ever heard; makes you want to put on your hat and boots and get t’ridin’ to town, while listening to “Take Me Home, Country Roads,” on the way back. :heart_eyes: Thank ya kindly fur your contributions - it’s a mighty fine list of songs, I tell ya whut. :slight_smile:

@patterson65.37405 – Wow, that bass beat is addictive. But I’d be telling untruths if I said otherwise of the song on the whole, too, that’s for sure! I’d end up using it in many ways, though knowing me, it’d be less for brawling, and more for dancing around with my fellow cowpokes. :stuck_out_tongue: Another wonderful feel good song to add to the list with a big “thank you” in tow! :heart:

@LuciferComplex140.80394 – Talk about covering an assortment of genres, time periods and sounds! :hushed: So many blasts from the pasts, as well, from the happier “Happy Trails” and “On the Road Again,” to the comforting, soothing tones of “A Horse With No Name.” I like how you drifted through the slower, more laid back pieces, including “Ride Like The Wind,” “Blaze of Glory,” and “The Painted Desert,” but took care not to hold back on the harder riffs with the likes of RATT, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden, either. It makes for a well-rounded playlist featuring exquisite taste, I’d say! :blush:

@xLOVEandDoomPatrolx – Ah ha! Now we know who to put in charge of the OST work, don’t we? :wink: You’re really good at setting up scenes in a way similar to have Music Directors do when choosing pieces for trailers and film. “Cómo Me Quieres” brings to mind dusty roads and lazy days watching the breeze blow by as we chew on a stick of straw and chew the fat for a while; meanwhile, “Arabesque Cookie” feels like the anticipation of traveling to a new town with new faces. :thinking:

I think the others on the list are special in individual ways because of how they, with their sound alone, manage to develop personality attributes about not just the scene, but the character. The mix of “Maria TambiĂ©n,” “Cinema,” and “0% Finance,” for instance, give the impression that one isn’t a pushover, nor one to play games with (as “Bring the Pain” would argue), while “Mermaid” and “Bullet Tells the Truth” lean toward a softer side – like balanced judgment that’s just, but not cruel. Hmm, I think “Pita’s Room” is my favorite, though. Well suited and the right amount of tender for the title of “Sleeping Under the Stars.” What a gorgeous set of songs chosen! :heart:

@DeSade-acolyte – Ah, that’s something I adore about this community, though, and especially the mixers that participate in our threads. Even when or if you don’t know much about the topic at hands, you always meet and surpass the challenge effortlessly. Your list is a perfect example of such! :star_struck:

The choices of going with songs that are particularly heavy on string instruments really fits the idea of a brawl, I agree! For me, the way that weaves together with the subtle warning you hear present within the singers’ voices makes them as fiery and dangerous as the devil they’re both talking about. :eyes: I also like the way your mind immediately thought of The Blues Brothers – that’s another one to put on my “must watch again” nostalgic watchlist, and the video shared is precisely why! (lol, I don’t blame the guy who got on the table to start dancing, they really were fantastic! :stuck_out_tongue:).

Finishing up the list with the something as emotionally intense as the Trail of Tears mention was an interesting choice. The song, itself, is superb, but the subject matter manages to make it more so. I can’t help but wonder the same about Jonah, but myself and many others living today, too – wondering how now scarring, or lack thereof, one might emerge from such an experience with. :thinking: A very good ending to a group of lovely songs, thank you! :slight_smile:

@V.Vroom – Oooh, yes, one can’t go wrong with old TV/movie themes, I agree! Being a foundation in developing what the Western genre sounds like for many, they are well-loved and long-remembered despite their brevity for a reason, that’s for sure. :slight_smile: My parents are fans of shows and movies like that, and still, to this day, spend a lot of time watching them, so I love being able to hear them all again on a personal level, let alone have them included in the list. :smiley:

@McEddard – An intriguing pairing shared, thank you! What stands out to me, at least, is how unique both singers’ voices are. There’s a grittiness heard in “The Devil’s Right Hand,” that’s really enjoyable, but at times, you can also hear a tremor in Steve’s voice that makes me think of the noise a whammy bar makes, and it fits perfectly, adding an amazing touch. When it comes to “The Devil’s Right Hand,” though, it’s the way the singer pronounces certain words that really makes it shine for me. Both are so enjoyably “Western.” :heart:

@Green.Lantern – Aww, I can tell how much you like this genre by your choices, definitely! So very well done, with the first one being emotionally heavy, but also powerfully painfully, heart wrenchingly pleasant, if that makes any sense (if it doesn’t, that’s okay, it’s my mind trying to make sense of the feeling listening to it causes, and I am too often at a loss for words :stuck_out_tongue:). That’s one of those songs that tugs on the soul in a good way, with the singer’s voice being as potent doing causing the effect as the music accompanying him. By comparison, “Carry Me Back to Virginia”provides a really good transition out of the prior song’s tempo, so the upbeat way you end the pairing is definitely appreciated. :blush:

@Razzzcat – Oh my, you did an exquisite job describing the effect certain songs have on me
 :hushed: I definitely know what you mean there. That said, no need to ever apologize about it, especially when you’re going to drop the mic with beauties like the ones you shared. “House of the Rising Sun” is amazing in that it ended up not only existing as a mood for me, but an actual place in physical space. It transports me to warm, muggy nights sitting in a swing on a wrap-around porch, all True Blood-like. Such a gorgeous cover!

But, alas, “Redemption Day” isn’t anything to dismiss either, that’s for sure. Immediately conjures thoughts of Red Dead Redemption for me, so saying it’s a perfect addition would be an understatement. Truly, Sheryl’s voice is a timeless treasure
 as is Mr. Cash’s! I don’t blame you one bit for liking it so much – the combo of the bass of his voice vs the way the tempo thumps at you, as if recalibrating the listener’s heartbeat, makes that song a delight for the senses. I wish I had words to best describe the beauty to be found in it. :heart: You deserve many a thank you for sharing those choices! :heart_eyes:

@capo-mage – Aww, I’m loving the amount of Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and Willie Nelson featured in this playlist. You all really know how to make a person’s week (and ensure addition on my personal playlist, too!), don’t you? :wink: I like your list because of the topics your songs move through, from the blues, reminiscing about old Sunday mornings, and wary advice given to mothers to sillier themes like life on the Chattahoochee and the range of goodness covered by “We Can Talk” – and you did so with some lovely, addicting songs, all without there being much of a dip in tempo or overall feel (which, to me, is quite the accomplishment). Wonderful job with this, and a very happy thank you for introducing me to some I hadn’t heard before! :smiley:

@TravisMorgan – A perfect mix! That’s something I find pretty cool, too, actually, that there can be a connection, but also a separation between what’s Country and what’s Western. It’s something you do a fantastic job displaying in your group of songs, and their range of genres! Really interesting how “Don’t Take Your Guns to Town” reminds me a little of the old cowboy ballad, “Streets of Laredo” – there’s a beautiful, bittersweet sadness to the gem that makes songs like “Giddy Up A Ding Dong,” “Cowboys and Indians,” and “Ring of Fire” an enjoyable set of palate cleansers.

But, while all of your songs have been amazing in this way, what surprised me most was how “Wild West Hero,” “Frank and Jesse James,” and “Johnny Reb” worked in something of a synergistic way to hit the body in different ways and places. ELO gives an external feeling reminiscent of floating on one’s back on a large body of water, while “Johnny Reb” does similar, but internally. “Frank and Jesse James” works internally, too, but rumble like thunder, hitting like mallets on a xylophone. Unexpected, but indescribably enjoyable! I appreciate the compilation. :blush:

@MisterEBody – You’re right, I’m surprised that wasn’t already on the list, too. :stuck_out_tongue: The tempo and lyrics make that song too catchy for comfort
 it also ended up stuck in my head longer than I’d like to admit (found myself humming it without realizing it), so it was a great way to end the playlist, thank you! :slight_smile:

11 Likes