Miller’s Superman Year 1 Review/discussion

When you take that comic book debate too far.

79ad77bb58412d2d19c469d5ebd9b623.jpg

5 Likes

Regardless of our thoughts for or against this book, let’s keep Burgundy’s"Let’s dance, dickweed!" out of the loop.

sees Vince Vaughn’s character ride by Get back here swinger! Let’s dance, dickweed!

2 Likes

I motion to rename: “Official Anchorman Appreciation Thread”

3 Likes

Miller’s always written Superman as detached. It’s one of the main points in The Dark Knight Returns. Batman’s of the people. Meanwhile, Superman is constantly drawn looking away.

For those of us who grew up in the wake of Bryne and Reeves, Superman is incredibly relatable. He’d sooner save your cat from a tree. Allen invasion? Sure, he can handle that. But he’ll also make sure the kid who skins his knee gets attention too.

2 Likes

Harley.333 definitely think that is a weakness in Miller’s depiction of Superman. Bruce Wayne is a mask for Batman, Clark is not a mask for Superman. He is every bit the kid from Kansas as he is the alien from Krypton.

2 Likes

So just finally read issue 3. Mixed feelings. Beware spoilers.

The good:

• Great action scenes.
  • Lois Lane is portrayed as the badass we know she is.
  • I like how the hustle and bustle of Metropolis is portrayed, especially compared to Smallville earlier in the story.
  • Wonderful art.
  • I get minor goosebumps every time I see the Trinity together.

The bad:

• Dialogue was clunky at times. Especially Batman’s when he was trying to beat up Superman. He sounded like a run of the mill street thug.
  • No follow up on what happened with Clark in Atlantis.
  • Supposedly a year had passed by, but Clark shows little character development from previous issues. Still a bit angsty and discovering himself. Maybe that’s how Miller views him. I understand his take on the character; will take some getting used to.
  • The Trinity needed their own issue. Wonder Woman’s introduction and her affection for Clark came out of left field…the “justice” team up felt rushed. Needed to spend more time fleshing that out.

All in all I still liked it, but it wasn’t without its issues. Will I pick up another Miller Superman comic? Absolutely, but it’s obvious this won’t be the Superman I’m used to.

Minor notes:

• Anyone notice the similarity between this issue and BvS? Uncanny.
  • Why does Romita draw the S like that? Prefer Miller’s take on it.
1 Like

I found this story unreadable, which is really sad. I couldn’t finish the first issue, the second issue was readable but boring, and i stopped before the third issue came out. This had the potential to be great, and it was hyped up enough to even get a commercial on TV, but it just wasn’t worth it. Mermaids?! Really?!

1 Like

Didn’t pick up #3 just couldn’t justify the duckets after #2