Michael Keaton Reveals Why He Really Stepped Away From The Mantle After Batman Returns

7 Likes

It was for the best for sure.

I really dig this part:

To me, I know the name of the movie is Batman, and it’s hugely iconic and very cool and cultural iconic and because of Tim Burton , artistically iconic, I knew from the get-go it was Bruce Wayne,” said the actor. “That was the secret. I never talked about it. [Everyone would say] Batman, Batman, Batman does this, and I kept thinking to myself, ‘Y’all are thinking wrong here.’ [It’s all about] Bruce Wayne. What kind of person does that? … Who becomes that? What kind of person [does that]?

Thanks for posting this '89! I’m gonna listen to that podcast.

:bat:

7 Likes

“What type of person does that.”

I do because nobody else can.

6 Likes

#TrueThat #Awesome

:00_batman_1989:

5 Likes

You’re welcome my friend!

5 Likes

I can totally understand why Michael Keaton walked away from Batman. His interpretation of Batman would be out of place in Joel Schumacher’s films.

4 Likes

Agreed @mercurie80.

5 Likes

Reading that really make me understand Michael Keaton point of view.
Bruce Wayne had a tragic childhood, what would the tragic event do to a young kid who witness his Parent’s murder after a fun movie night?

Seeing Zorro that night was huge inspiration, if you watch The Mark Of Zorro starring Tyrone Powers, he was nothing like Superman, but you can see a bit of Batman in him.
While I do enjoy Batman Forever, I think Batman is definitely should be a dark hero like the ghost Spectre.
If I wrote a light hearted campy story of Spectre, I can see alot of DC fans would attack me for ruining a character I know so little about. And that’s what Joel Schumacher did with Batman.
Christopher Nolan gets it, Tim Burton gets it, Matt Reeves gets it, but Schumacher didn’t get it.

:batman:

3 Likes

3086e2759ac7ed8444c8e6a3bb1871bb

6 Likes

02158E41-6A6B-492B-872C-04CB443E998A

@DC89 Thanks for sharing my friend!

3 Likes

Interesting.

I like Keaton’s approach, especially the part where he emphasizes the man behind the mask.
While Batman Forever as a movie is definitely different in tone and visuals than its predecessors, I don’t feel like its handling of Batman was as drastically different as this would make it seem though. Batman & Robin was a whole other story though :joy:.

Confession: I like ‘em all :eyes:

6 Likes