Metal is terrible

Later, I told my son that it appeared they had introduced another multiverse, or rewrote history to their liking, or something. And he said what I’ve been thinking every since New 52 came out. “It just feels like they keep trying to erase New 52 and get back to Post-Crisis.”

Of course, DC Rebirth will be completely different…

2 Likes

At first I thought it was going to be about the Metal Men and I was going to go off but its not so I will calm down lol.

2 Likes

MajorZuma I agree Court of Owls and Death of the Family are his best works and I absolutely loved them. Metal just wasn’t worth the money I spent over $120-130 and it just didn’t seem worth it. I’m sure if I had waited for this awesome app to come out and had been able to read it for 8 bucks I would have been less bummed out thats all.

@harley.333 your first post cracked me up :joy:

1 Like

I knew this wouldn’t be for me so I skipped it and there’s really been nothing that people have said about that grabs me enough to even read it on here. I generally liked Snyder’s early Batman run and thought Court of Owls was a great story that hit all the right notes for me. Having said that though I did get tired of the epic nature of his run and the fact that after a point all he seemed to be doing was trying to outdo the last story he told so I dropped it after awhile.

For me the best part of Metal was the Gotham Resistance tie ins. Maybe it’s just personal preference but I always enjoy the loosely connected tie ins to big events more than the big event itself.

2 Likes

@BatWatch That’s a PERFECT description of Snyder’s pros and cons.

2 Likes

@Awesome_Squid

I decided just to create a separate thread for it, but I skimmed through the Court of Owls, and yeah, there are things that are way OP.

@Trustymutsi

Thanks!

To me, Metal was an intentional 180 from DC Universe Rebirth. Gone was hope–hello nihilism. It has “Dark” Dan Didio’s grubby little hands all over it.

@baseballmaniac01 It has nothing to do with Dan DiDio messing with it. The story itself, despite being called Dark Nights: Metal, is not even dark. It’s just a crazy and big adventure designed to look like the cover of a heavy metal album. If you’ve read Scott Snyder’s other work, you should know he’s all about hope. Actually, that’s what his run on Justice League is all about: hope vs. the darkness.

1 Like

I think they shouldnt have called it metal. Thats too generic

1 Like

Heroes in Crisis was the 180° from Rebirth. At that point Geoff Johns stopped having such a big role in the editorial level at DC, so Dan DiDio was free to have Dick Grayson shot through the head, Roy Harper killed, and Wally West commit mass murder.

1 Like

@BwanaBeastguy It’s because it’s themed around heavy metal music and story revolves around cosmic metals.

They should write another crossover event with a canon-defining plot. But this tune, it should be based on teeny bopper pop (Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, etc.). The story would involve cosmic faux-leather. Faux-leather from more exotic animals would be more powerful than faux-leather from less exotic animals.

It sounds ridiculous, but there’d be a moral behind the whole story. A moral of hope and enduring friendship. And they’d end the climax of the story by wrapping it all up with, “we’re all a little fake.”

In the denouement, they’d explain that the entire multiverse has been reset in unknown ways. So, everything’s back to normal; but totally different.

4 Likes

@harley Is this a joke or insulting me? Because I’m laughing really hard right now, but it does seem to be in response my other comments, and I’m worried I gave the wrong impression.

Didn’t mean insulting me, I’m meant responding to my comments

I’m just being paranoid, aren’t I? Never mind me, just keep being hilarious!

It’s an evil Justice League made of Batmans! What’s not to like?!

1 Like

@Batwing52

The complete lack of characterization of the villains. The complete Deus Ex Machina which is the entire story. The fact that Batman can is OP as heck.

Thought it was a meh comic myself. A lot of flash with no bang.

2 Likes

I haven’t read Metal (and seeing the argument here is making me not want to), but think of it this way: an awesome idea is not quite enough to make a story good. Throwing peanuts and cocoa beans at your face is not the same thing as a peanut butter cup. It’s the beginning of the idea of a peanut butter cup, but so far all you’ve got is two great tastes. It takes a stronger plot to make them taste great together.

4 Likes

I enjoyed it (Partially because it focused on Hawkman).

1 Like