Meta Madhouse Throwdown on Themyscira Discussion and Debates

For a fun reading about a Kryptonian Superwoman for you @Pow-Pow, it can be found in Action Comics (1938-) #332. :0_supergirl:

For a fun reading about how Kryptonians can deal with magic @Jurisdiction, it can be found in DC Comics Presents (1978-) #18. :woman_mage: :superman:

And a hearty thank you to @Don-El for putting these on my reading list. :superman_fan_club:

8 Likes

All of the things in the DC Comics Presents is on my to do list.

6 Likes

It really was a slick package.

5 Likes

Supergirl V Big Barda: Kara has powers, but Barda is a borne and bred fighter. She knows how to handle herself against people with powers and will overcome anything Supergirl could throw at her. Bonus is the use of a Mega Rod.

Starfire V Zatanna: Tough one, but I think Starfire would be able to give a good enough wallop to Zatanna to knock her down. Zee has powerful magic, but is only human.

Superwoman V Circe: For this one, it’s all magic. Circe hands down.

Star Sapphire V Lady Shiva: Not even a contest, Star Sapphire all the way.

4 Likes

Well, the left side of my bracket ended up as expected, even though the path was off. I think my right side path was more accurate, but my end result is the same… my quarter-final two cents:

• I’m sticking with Supergirl over Barda – I love my Barda, and she is definitely the more experienced tactician, but Kara is one of the most persistent, resilient characters in the DC universe. We’ve seen the Megarod knock her down, but only in a scenario where she didn’t expect it. Knowing she’s in the fight will keep her at a distance, easily able to block or dodge any Megarod attack, allowing her to disarm Barda and go in for the K-O. It will be a long fight, but Kara comes out on top.
  • Zatanna over Starfire - Again, love me my K’ori, but physical attacks don’t help much when your opponent can step out of this plane of existence to dodge. Zatanna’s magic can alter reality and make K’ori shoot harmless rainbows instead of sunbolts, or sooth her emotions from the inside to depower her completely. Starfire is a powerhouse, but has too many ways to be undone from a distance.
  • Circe over Superwoman - easily. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Circe is easily the strongest sorcerer in this bracket, even without Hecate’s powers. Lois never lands a punch.
  • Star Sapphire over Shiva - Shiva is a powerful warrior, and the most skilled hand to hand combatant in the DC universe, but this fight doesn’t ever need to go melee. Shiva has trained in the harshest of conditions on Earth, but still needs a breathable atmosphere to survive. Yoinked off to space, or encased in crystal, she’s done.
5 Likes

Reminder:
Voting for the bracket championships ends tonight at 11:00PM pacific.

Who will make the Final Four???

3 Likes

Dear @Pow-Pow & @stalecake You’ve both made really good arguments​:purple_heart: You’ve upped the excitement here for me, so I thank you both. Truly.

5 Likes

Results for the Final Four are up on the results page.

The final Olympian Override occurred, but Hera is not in a giving moood. Hera’s coin came up tails yet again.

4 Likes

I’m just going to assume that Star Sapphire landed and gave the victory to Shiva out of love.

It’s as if Bruce Lee took down an F-16.

Only Chuck Norris can do that. :joy:

a3d1304cffaf57ec35664a4d15fc1189

5 Likes

I’m in school reading this and my teacher just caught me because I started choking on my water from reading this and laughing!

4 Likes

Dang it, my girl Barda could have whooped Kara. Come on people.

4 Likes

I’m bummed on the Barda front. But, the Super-family gets almost as many “of course they will win” mentalities than the Bat-Fam does. Barda got hosed.

At least Lady Shiva won by only a one vote margin. Although, it’s still an upset and upsets happen in the tournament.

So on both sides of the bracket we have melee power vs magic.

Zatanna beats Supergirl.
If the canonical lore has proved one thing over the years, kryptonians and magic do not get along. It is arguably more lethal than kryptonite. Zee is one of the most powerful mages in DC. She knows her opponent, knows her weaknesses and will exploit them at every turn. Kara goes down and goes down hard. Magic FTW!!!

Circe over Lady Shiva.
Shiva is good in a melee, but Circe is a literal goddess, with the power to back it up. Also, canonically, Shiva is quite vulnerable to poisons and other biological agents. Circe has thousands of years of experience in developing such poisons. She knows poisons that have been lost to the ages. Beating Circe is just to high a mountain for Lady Shiva to climb. Circe takes this, and frankly, it’s not even close.

This means an epic magic battle for the championship.

Teaser: The MM:ToT champion is gonna need such awesome power. Why? All will become clear in a few days. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Go ahead Zatanna, bring your damnable magic.

0fc3ccbcc501b86d5ed615c7738f0bf4

7 Likes

3 out 4 finalists predicted on my bracket. Nice.

4 Likes

Whew. That would have been ridonkulous.

Likewise. :smiley: Is yours off on the Dr. Poison division, too?

4 Likes

I find it absolutely ludicrous that we collectively gave Star Sapphire the wins over Jinx, Harley, and Ivy, but she fell to Lady Shiva, but, okay, as @DeSade-acolyte says, upsets happen. And by one vote. Thus, we only have half an interesting final four. :boom:

• Supergirl vs Zatanna: I’m still team ZZ here. @Pow-Pow’s post citing Kara’s defeat of Emerald Empress actually makes the point. SG wins that fight not because she can overcome any magic, but because she realizes that the Eye of Ekron is the source of EE’s power, and EE is not a sorcerer. Separating her from the technology of the eye is like separating a GL from their ring. Except easier, because it is not on her finger. Up again Zatanna, she has no such luxury. She has one chance to win here: strike first, fast, and fiercely, which she could absolutely pull off with Zatanna Classico, but modern Zatanna is far more cynical, and has wards of protection on herself at all times. Zatanna’s ability to control reality, including multiple mystic houses that exist across space and time, puts her above almost any other magic user in this fight, one of the few who could truly take Kara down, not just get a good head start before Kara’s perseverance turns the tide. (Though it would be far easier to banish Kara than take her down.) Without an assist on her side, Kara loses this. It will take everything she’s got to stand against Zatanna, but Zatanna is HomoMagi, not just a petty dabbler who needs time to conjure.
  • Circe v Lady Shiva: Circe. Easily against Shiva. Without invoking any god powers. Again, Shiva is an expert melee fighter, and very skilled with a wide array of weapons and combat, all of which counts for nothing when she is turned to stone or teleported to the depths of hell. Her one chance to survive could have been plot protection of carrying Moly around because reasons, but that is moot with Circe carrying around the full power of Hecate if she needs it.
5 Likes

I had Ophan instead of SG.

5 Likes

In this version the Emerald eye was magic. Superman took wallop from it earlier and recognized it as magic.

Either way, Zatanna won’t have the time to cast a spell before it’s over.

I mean you could argue that she enters the fight loaded with spells already, but if you can start with a magic protection that can protect you from a Kryptonian, you can start with protection spell that can protect you against anything. You basically start in God mode with whatever you want.

And I’m not going to argue that you will win if you can come in to the fight having decided reality in advance. It all comes down to a Bill and Ted fight between two wizards.

5 Likes

Fair enough. There’s still a difference between disarming someone wielding a magic eye and someone who is magic. I’m not arguing that Zatanna would come in to a fight pre-armed in god mode; just that the one chance Kara has is to strike first without warning, which Zatanna would be specifically prepared for. My reality altering point is not meant to say she can predetermine the fight, but that her level of mastery can end the fight before Kara can land a punch/laser-eye/ice-breath. She can even make Kara forget she has any powers. Everything Zatanna has requires that for Kara to win the fight she has to strike immediately with deadly force. So the vote should theoretically come down to whether you believe she could - and would - successfully do so.

6 Likes

Supergirl v Zatanna: Since I didn’t think Zee was going to win the last one, maybe I was wrong in dismissing her. She’s gone up against some pretty big bruises and will probably hold her own in this fight, thought I think it would be close.
Circe v Lady Shiva: If this was a close range fight, it would be over, and Lady Shiva would be the winner, but if Circe can get some distance between them, I think she would be giving the magical smackdown. For this one I go Circe.

oooh, are we going to have a Magic v Magic for the final round???

6 Likes