Media: "Joker film will cause violence"

John Hinkley, who tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan, was heavily influenced by the film Taxi Driver. So much so that it was shown at his trial so it could be put into as evidence.

A small but viable threat potential has been recognized by US intelligence agencies. The US military, based in this assessment received a memorandum that the threat had been found and issued its recommendations. (None of which said “don’t go”.)

Statistically you stand a MUCH higher chance of being killed driving to and from the movie theater than you do being shot at the movie theater (any theater, any film, including the Joker.)

Those are facts. Like them, accept them or not.

1 Like

I disagree. I believe that some people that already have the inclination to do atrocious things may sympathize and do said things, but not due to direct encouragement. The film is obviously interpretable as any good art is. A vast majority of people will walk out entertained but not motivated to KILL anyone. Movies, nor games, nor books, or any medium can CREATE a killer. Killers are brewing themselves so when they see something sick it pushes them off the edge to actually do it.

Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold played Doom and liked Natural Born Killers. Does that mean those violent things led them to shooting up a school? No. This movie will not cause violence. If a violent person does something after watching the film, that doesn’t mean the film created a killer. It simply portrays a killer so, in response, a killer did something that a person of that inclination would do.

In conclusion. No art medium creates killers. It simply gives deranged people an outlet to instill their own distorted morals on life and encourage themselves to commit attrocities.

Can art inspire people towards doing great things. Yes.

Therefore the inverse is also true. Art can inspire people towards doing horrific things.

Those things, for good or ill, are not the responsibility of the art or the artist. Nor should this prohibit the artist from creating what they wish.

1 Like

Also, it’s important to remember that films like American Psycho and Taxi Driver weren’t made during this time period. These past few years have had a dramatic increase in the issues being discussed. So the fact that it’s coming out now is the difference from those two films.

1 Like

I’m surprised to find an actual mature debate on this thread that you two are having.

OmniLad is your suggestion to censor different types of art because someone might be inspired to do something? Who would decide what type of art gets made? You might laugh at the slippery slope argument but what you are suggesting leads to an authoritarian mindset.

New York times literally put out an article recently making the argument against free speech. That is terrifying in my opinion.

@OmniLad
I can’t concur with the time era argument, certainly at least for Taxi Driver, released in 1976. The homicide rate (which includes shootings in public places) today is half of what it was in 1976.

Only surpassed by 1980 and both 76 & 80 numbers are higher even than when we had prohibition and the violence that came with it. That brief period during prohibition was the most violent until we get to the 1970s & early 1980s.

1 Like

By no means am I suggesting to censor art. I’m moreso playing Devil’s advocate because I can sympathize with people who may be scared or worried. I was just a couple hours away from Parkland when it happened. I know people who went here, I’ve been directly involved with organizations like March for Our Lives. I don’t really think this film will cause violence, but I’ve seen the damage our current society is going through first hand. So I’m able to understand why people are worried. Also, I’m sorry if I came across as immature in the other thread. I guess it didn’t cross my mind, since I was so worried about other people not treating one another without respect. So if I’ve ever come across as childish, I’m sorry if I did and I hope to prevent it in the future. Thanks for letting me know.

Went there*

The New York Times bowdlerized the add for Deep Throat. They are not a bastion of liberal freedom of speech views, and never have been.

OmniLad I wasn’t calling you childish I was just commenting on the debate that DeSad and Elixium were having on the effects of art on the audience.

I’m not sure what other thread you are referring to but I don’t think you are childish.

As DeSade has pointed out crime and violence has been worse at other points in history. It might seem like things are worse then ever but thats in my opinion because of how connected we are with the whole entire world through the internet. We get to see how the world is doing more then ever.

2 Likes

Also I’m sorry you knew people that were effected by the parkland shooting. So this film hitting to close to home I can understand why you would feel uncomfortable by this film.

1 Like

Oh, I’m okay. Just friends and such. I mainly mentioned it to help people understand the other side’s argument more.

@OmniLad
Yes, social media (and even earlier when we had national/global cable media) people can see more of where s happening other places. So they think “omg, this really bad stuff happening.” And yes, bad stuff is happening. BUT, it’s not the first time bad stuff has happened and just because (the generic) you knows it’s happening, doesn’t mean there is more of it happening.

I think that’s one of the things, just because more people are aware of something doesn’t mean it’s getting worse than it has been. It can just mean more people now know it’s happening.