May's Community Member of the Month: Cradle2theGabe!

May has officially arrived, which means it’s time to get to know our new Community Member of the Month: @Cradle2theGabe!

What originally got you into DC Comics?

The usual stuff. Adam West’s Batman, Super Friends, and Bruce Timm’s animated awesomeness. I specifically got into comics after I saw “Batman v Superman”. It’s not that I didn’t like it, it just didn’t click with me the way other DC properties previously had. I decided to go straight for the source material from that point on. New 52 had just wrapped up so I figured that was a good place to start. A local comic book shop recommended Court of Owls and I’ve been in love ever since! I’ve hit the backlog hard for the last 6 years and I just now feel like I’m caught up enough to read some recent stuff.

Who is your favorite DC character, and why?

I go back and forth on this, but thanks to Tom King and Mitch Gerads’ 12 issue Mister Miracle series, I’ve got to go with Scott Free. The action in that series was great, but it’s really a hard hitting emotional story with a lot of focus on being a new (and confused) parent. My daughter was just a year old at the time so it really resonated. Scott and Barda have always been one of my favorite DC couples and this series was such an honest and raw look at relationships. Scott is always such a clutch character when the chips are down. Best of all, he’s such a DC fan like the rest of us!

What books are you currently reading?

I just wrapped up a lot of Justice League reading for the Justice League League event Jurisdiction and I are hosting. Generation Lost I especially liked. Now I’m catching up with some recent stuff I’ve missed like Trial of the Amazons, Dark Knights of Steel, and Dark Crisis. Eventually I also want to pick up where I left off in Brian K. Vaughan’s Saga. Huge BKV fan!

Are you watching any DC movies or shows?

Not really so much with two kids under 3. I’ve started a lot of TV shows but haven’t finished many. I really like The Sandman series on Netflix, but time is pretty scarce. When it comes to spending that time on comics or anything else, the choice is always comics for me. On that note I’d also like to give a shout out to all the moms, dads and caregivers out there. We don’t always have a lot of free time for ourselves but DCUI is a great place to spend it.

What are you most looking forward to within the DC universe?

Just reading more comics from the creators and characters that I love. I also need to see what all the buzz is about with the Wayne Family Adventures! Someday I’d also like to win one of HubCityQuestion’s Trivia Tuesdays. Or at least have a respectable showing!

What 6-12 books would you recommend to the general DC Community?

• Day Of Vengeance (Infinite Crisis Special)
  • Villians United (Infinite Crisis Special)
  • Batman #37 (Double Date)
  • DC Cybernetic Summer #1
  • Justice League Oddesey
  • Justice League: Cry For Justice
  • Batman/TMNT I,II,III
  • Pride of Baghdad (Vertigo)
  • Y: The Last Man (Vertigo)

Congrats to our newest Community Member of the Month @Cradle2theGabe! :clap:

34 Likes

Congrats @Cradle2theGabe! :heart::purple_heart::partying_face::tada:

16 Likes

Congrats @Cradle2theGabe!!

15 Likes

@Cradle2theGabe Congratulations!!!

14 Likes

Congratulations my friend @Cradle2theGabe :sunglasses::metal:t2:

15 Likes

Heck yesssssss!! Huge congrats @Cradle2theGabe !!! :partying_face:

15 Likes

Congratulations @Cradle2theGabe !!

13 Likes

Congratulations! You earned it!

That is a good one, not as good as NML (they revoke my status as President of NML if I don’t plug at least once a month) but still amazing.

14 Likes

Congrats!!

15 Likes

Awesome™:+1:
Congrats @Cradle2theGabe :tada:

13 Likes

Congratulations @Cradle2theGabe , I haven’t checked out Pride of Baghdad, I’ll have to add it to my queue

14 Likes

Ayyyy!!! Congrats @Cradle2theGabe!! Definitely deserved!!!

You’re the best game partner a guy could ask for.

14 Likes

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, we have a new May of the month winner! Congratulation @Cradle2theGabe, it’s great having you here on DC Universe, and I just love your book choices, including all of Batman/TMNT team up series.:smiley:

:dc:

13 Likes

Thanks for the recognition DCUI!

This is probably a good example of “peaking early”. I’ve spent the last few years intaking comic after comic with not much of an outlet for discussion. Naturally when I joined this community I had a lot on my mind. I didn’t expect to have such a good time!

It all started because I had a question about Red Hood’s costume. I was going to either ask the question here or on Reddit. I think I made the right choice :slight_smile:

It’s a really compelling story. I’m sure there’s others out there, but it was interesting to read a comic from the perspective of animals. The author projects a lot of human emotion on to them, but still. Very unique.

pob

Ditto!!! Our event is probably a big reason in me getting the MotM nod! Couldn’t have done it without you!

Cowabunga!

16 Likes

Congrats @Cradle2theGabe!

15 Likes

Congratulations.

14 Likes

Congratulations, this is really exciting! I love hearing stories about how much certain comics or stories mean to people, like your story about King’s Mister Miracle. Although I am feeling slightly bad now because Saga is one of the many series I’ve fallen behind on, and I don’t really want to know how many issues I need to read. Especially since I’ll need to re-read at least some of it first. That hiatus was rough. :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

Congratulations! :partying_face:

party

13 Likes

Congrats Bro :tada:

10 Likes

Congratulations. even though our paths never really crossed…

11 Likes