Match #6: John Constantine vs The Doctor! (DC vs. Doctor Who)

Battle of the smart British conmen!

We have John Constantine, the magical British sly son of you-know-what, going up against the intergalactic traveler, the Doctor.

First up, we have John Constantine!

Encircled by a wreath of cigarette smoke, sorcery and shame, John Constantine wields the dark arts to save his soul, as well as the earth itself. If you’re dealing with trouble that skews a bit supernatural, you’d better get yourself to the expert.

John Constantine isn’t known for his glowing personality, but when it comes to the occult, he’s the best investigator there is. Like anything in life, however, Constantine’s skill set comes with a price.

A notorious con man and grifter whose past has a body count, Constantine’s moral compass is as gray as can be.

He’s an expert sorcerer and magician, but also an accomplished liar and thief known for his vices, self-loathing and on-again-off-again death wish. His abilities have afforded him the opportunity not only to cheat death, but to trick the forces that govern Heaven and Hell…meaning he has no shortage of powerful enemies.

Still, although John’s motives may be suspect more often than not, with enough effort, his selfishness can be chipped away, revealing a decent person buried beneath a carefully crafted persona.

A lifetime of pain and suffering has hardened the Hellblazer on the outside, but deep down, he wants to do the right thing.

First Appearance: THE SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #37 (1985)

And then we have the Doctor!

“Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in.” That’s the promise of the Doctor.

The Doctor is a time traveler crazy man from the planet Gallifrey. Being a Time Lord (A race of time travelers that can completely change their forms when near death through a process called regeneration), he knows how to pilot a TARDIS, which is good since, at the very young age of 90, he stole a Type 40 TARDIS and ran away with his granddaughter Susan.

From there, what “started as a mild curiosity in a junkyard” turned into a huge adventure spanning hundreds of years, with the Doctor traveling the universe with companions, seeing amazing things and battling strange monsters.

But then, everything changed because of one horrible thing.

WAR.

Due to the actions of the Time Lords and an alien race called the Daleks, a war began that spread across the universe and all of time. Entire timelines were weaponized and whole races died only to reappear perfectly fine the next day, doomed to die a million more times.

The Doctor spent his entire 8th regeneration trying to stay out of the war, but one faithful night led to his regenerating and joining the Last Great Time War.

The Universe no longer needed a Doctor.

It needed a warrior and for it’s sins, it got one.

The War Doctor committed many atrocities during the Time War, things that would haunt him for millions of years, but on the last day of the Time War, on the day no one could get it right, he made the worst decision.

He killed them all, Time Lords and Daleks, just to end the War and save everything.

He then regenerated again, resolving to earn the right to be the Doctor once again.

And that’s when he met Rose Tyler.

Rose helped the Doctor become a better, more happy, person and they even fell in love.

But then, tragedy struck.

During a battle against the Daleks and the Cybermen at Canary Wharf, Rose was trapped in another universe, and the Doctor, now in his 10th form, was once again alone, not for the last time.

The Doctor continued his travels, making many friends and being pushed to the brink. However, he continued to live by those words. Never cruel, never cowardly.

The Doctor has had many faces:

White, black.

Man, woman.

Warrior, friend.

But at the end of the day, the Doctor is just a funny old man who stole a strange magic phone box and ran away from home, battling horrifying monsters, abducting clever humans, being kind, and leaving everyone with one question:

Doctor Who?

First Appearance: The Unearthly Child (1963)

Intelligence!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

Physical strength!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

Understanding of the strange and unusual!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

Understanding of history!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

Most mentally broken!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

Bigger love of classical music!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

Most selfless!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

Harder to kill!

• The Doctor!
  • John Constantine!

0 voters

2 Likes

Hello, @Jurisdiction! Should have guessed you’d see this first.

1 Like

Lol I’m just fast ig

1 Like

Look, I have very strong opinions on Doctor Who, you all know at least a few of them, but as of today, one of them is he could certainly beat Constantine with all however-many-hands-he-has tied behind his back.

2 Likes

I left the one about being mentally broken blank because it was hard for me to define what “broken” meant. Other than that I said Constantine had more physical strength (becuase to quote martha if you hug the doctor you get a papercut) but other thatn that I picked Doctor Who all the way.

2 Likes

Basically, traumatized…

Oh, that WOULD be hard to anwser.

2 Likes

Happy DCUniversarry @CKComics-Rebel-2ndinCommand!!

1 Like

Thanks. :grin:

1 Like

Chibnall mentally broke the Doctor. The fall of Gallifrey couldn’t do it, 5,000 years of organized religion couldn’t do it, the Doctor is finally broken (for now), and that’s why, if we take Chibnall’s damage to the timeline into account, even though it is not canon, then Constantine wins, but I’ve been assuming we’re not, because the individual in Chibnall’s episodes is not the Doctor.

2 Likes

I understand why you may think that way, but unless Russel T. Davies retcons it, then all the Timeless Child stuff and the rest of what Chibnall came up with (some of which was okay, like the Pting and “Rosa.”) is canon and to be considered.

2 Likes

It is not canon. There are too many plotholes and the Doctor must be kept autistic.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m going to ask you to elaborate, because there are many forms of Autism and I have Autism myself, so be careful.

Side note: You can’t hold this all against Jodie Whittaker. She did her best with what she had and still was a damn good Doctor.

1 Like

I mean the first fourteen incarnations (I count John Hurt and the two consecutive David Tennants, so Peter Capaldi is the fourteenth) are autistic and the smiley-face Chibnall has been parading around is the most neurotypical there has ever been and is therefore not the Doctor and none of this is canon.

3 Likes

I’ll say this since I am neurodivergent and I’ll try to say it nicely: If Jodie’s Doctor is neurotypical, then I’m a Dalek.

I can say that because when I say Jodie’s first episode, “The Woman Who Fell To Earth” I immediately thought, “Does every version of the Doctor have Autism or ADHD? Well, good.”

1 Like

And then there’s mean not knowing what half of these words mean…

I’ll just show myself out…

2 Likes

You’re right, as my mom keeps telling me, not being autistic doesn’t make her neurotypical, it just makes her not autisitc and therefore not the Doctor.

2 Likes

Here:

Neurodivergent: Person with things like Autism, ADHD, ODD, dysgraphia, dyslexia, or in my case all 5.

Neurotypical: people with none of the above.

Dalek: scary alien that looks like a pepper shaker.

1 Like

Oh so me!

Oh so not me!

Oh so my sister!

1 Like

And her actions mean nothing? Yes, she suffered from bad writing at times, but she doesn’t need to be autistic/
Would I say the First Doctor is autistic? NO! He’s just a bit eccentric, like all old British men.
Would I say the Sixth Doctor is? Also no, though that outfit says otherwise.
The Doctor doesn’t have to be autistic to be the Doctor. They just have to save people with a funny box and a smile hiding centuries of issues.

1 Like

LOL! My sister is the same!

1 Like