Manhunter (Kate Spencer)

This is a place to discuss thoughts and opinions about Kate Spencer Manhunter and her solo series/other comics she’s been in.

2 Likes

Is there anything really important I missed in volume one of Manhunter? I have read volumes 2-4 so far but I didn’t pick up 1 because I forgot/it wasn’t there when I went back to the store

1 Like

Should let you know the comics that comprised volume 1 are on DCU right now for a couple more weeks. So you have a chance to check them out if you didn’t already know that.

4 Likes

DanTheMan thanks!

1 Like

I was looking into the character recently as I am reading through the series currently. I discovered she was in Birds of Prey and in one of the Justice Society incarnations after her solo title. I hadn’t known this and hoping to eventually find and read those issues as well. The entire Manhunter series is verbatim what a great comic series should look like, which makes it so sad that more people don’t seem interested in reading it.

2 Likes

PrincessAmethyst you are so right! When I first picked it up, I was wondering if it would even be interesting, but after reading it, I was surprised and came to the same conclusion (that this is what every comic should be like, story wise and developmental wise)

PrincessAmethyst you are so right! When I first picked it up, I was wondering if it would even be interesting, but after reading it, I was surprised and came to the same conclusion (that this is what every comic should be like, story wise and developmental wise)

I loved the series so much after reading it here, I bought all of the trade paperbacks. I really don’t understand why the series was unable to find an audience or fanbase even on an app dedicated to DC fans when it has so many ties to the DC Universe at large.

3 Likes

nu52 how many volumes were there?

This is another of my favorite series. And I re-read the entire thing on this app. I don’t really understand the logic of removing it from the app at the end of February when they are adding so many more comics. Don’t get me wrong, I am overjoyed with the increase in the comics selection here and feel I have already gotten more than my money’s worth for my membership. But I would love it if more people could discover this great book via this wonderful app. But they only have a limited time to do so.

There were 5 volumes @AmbushBug13

@BuddyBaker Yeah, what sucks is that it was taken away because it was unpopular, but brought back for a limited time for those of us that were in the middle of reading it. The problem is that Manhunter ties into Identity Crisis, The OMAC Project, and Infinite Crisis, but at the time none of those series were on the app. Now all of those series are added, but Manhunter is getting taken away so people won’t be able to discover it. The same goes for Checkmate as that book comes after The OMAC Project and Infinite Crisis.

2 Likes

I finally finished reading Manhunter today! The first 30 issues were great, but the last 8 left lagged. 36 ends on a cliffhanger and 37-38 sprang forward without acknowledging what happened.

1 Like

@rikk.rodriguez The reason for the choppiness in the last part of the Manhunter series is that it was officially announced as cancelled at least twice, then given a reprieve. Writer Marc Andreyko did his best to try to bring in new elements that might appeal to a broader readership. And he did not have time to fully develop a bunch of subplots he had introduced. The last two issues were his farewell to the series, when he knew it was not going to get another reprieve.

3 Likes

I am kind of sorry I never read this. When it cam back for a second chance I figured that was such a tight scendule for so many books, I would read something not going down in the immediate future. A bit late to read all those issues now, but I do feel like I missed the boat. But oh well, on the plus side plenty of good stuff I am finally able to catch now thanks to DCU.