Mad Magazine's Al Jaffee Has Died

Al Jaffee, Mad’s longest tenured contributor and the creator of the Mad fold-in, has died at the age of 102. He was always one of my favorite cartoonists to work on Mad. It makes me sad that he is gone, although he did live a full, very long life.

13 Likes

Growing up I had my Comics, Popular Science & Mechanics and my Mad Mags.

Did good work,
Brought me a lot of joy.

6 Likes

=100 Whoopie Cushion Salute=

6 Likes

:rofl:
Nice.

5 Likes

Sad to hear. Best wishes to his friends and family. :shamrock::+1:
Crazy to think living to 102 and working on something you enjoy to 99.

5 Likes

A legendary cartoonist, creative, and character.

His work in Humbug is classic.

7 Likes

A genius has left us. I remember hearing him on Gilbert Gottfried’s Amazing Colossal Podcast and he was sharp as ever in his late nineties. Thanks for all the laughs!

5 Likes

This is so sad. :sob: The comic world has been losing a lot of greats lately. Thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

Huge Bucket of Win.

RIP Good Sir!

3 Likes

He will be missed.

3 Likes

sad but nice run though 102 woow

4 Likes

I feel exactly the same way. It’s a tragedy when they die young and I would even mourn someone if they die in their 70s. But reaching the late 90s and even the 100s and passing on is not a sadness to me. It’s a success in living your life healthy and to It’s fullest. I think we all strive for just to die old with something to leave behind. The legacy of Mad Comics will definitely be remembered by all of us to a degree and hopefully future generations will learn from it either in the comics or in a different media.

3 Likes

well said

3 Likes