MAD Magazine is discontinued...

Another DC property we’re losing:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/media/mad-magazine-cease-publication-trnd/index.html

3 Likes

The end of an institution. What a feshluggena world.

You can’t say DC didn’t try… they went all out when they relaunched the magazine last year. Some of MAD’s best work ever. The sales just weren’t there.

2 Likes

Wow, grew up reading Mad. My first exposure to a lot of films came through Mad before I saw the movie. I distinctly remember The French Connection, Planet of the Apes and The Godfather as Mad parodies when I was too young to see them.

2 Likes

It is a shame. But there are so many parodies done in vignette form on tv today, I can see why it didn’t fare as well. And the media cycle is so short, a monthly mag can’t keep up. Maybe they could launch it as a digital weekly with only a 4-8 page, high news cycle, parody a week?

4 Likes

Dang, I didn’t know MAD was a DC property. I didn’t read it, but I had seen some odd episodes of the TV show when I was littler. Stinks that MAD’s gone now.

Very disappointing to hear, but I’ve never purchased a Mad Magazine so I guess I’m part of the problem

1 Like

Whoa. Read MAD for years as a kid. What a history, going back to when EC folded and Gaines brought all those artists to MAD with him. What a legacy!

2 Likes

An update:

https://www.tomrichmond.com/saving-mad/05/07/2019/?fbclid=IwAR3C0iLpSHxNf1b2Is3SuU9HjKDDsNfoYGEzkIPgfaWdZ57QKU5NEpdNDec

1 Like

Being that MAD was a DC publication of sorts, that technically makes Mad TV a DC show.

ponders if Mad TV will come to DCU, knowing it actually won’t

I hope the mag can continue, but understand why it has sadly lost its foothold. I was so very tempted to start reading it on a continual basis when the new series started but I reluctantly had to pass for budgetary reasons.

When I think of MAD, Sergio Aragones’ art comes to mind as does reading my brother’s issues of it when I was a kid.

There’s also this:

1006921.jpg

1 Like

Which means Bendis will reach into the DC character archives and one of these will appear in Action Comics

2 Likes

If Bendis puts this guy in Superman, I’ll be stoked. Like jumping around in brightest day stoked.

https://users.planetmadtv.com/elscorcho/characters/ubsguy.gif

1 Like

“ponders if Mad TV will come to DCU”

Sounds like a questions for Office Hours! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Mae MAD TV is owned by Warner Brothers Television and relates to a publication put out by DC, so it could work in theory.

Actually, I’d rather see the DC segments of the MAD cartoon from a few years back pop up here.

Ms. Swan: “Who are you?”

Batman: “I’m Batman.”

Ms. Swan: “No, no. You no looka likea Bat. You Rubber Suit Man.”

Batman: “I am vengeance, I am the night! I…am…the god damn… BATMAN!”

Ms. Swan: “You so silly! Bye.”

Batman: “Stuart, I’m Batman. Come quickly, I’m here to save you.”

Stuart: “I don’t want to.” Starts running in circles. “Stranger danger, don’t touch me Rubber Suitman.”

Batman: “Stuart, we don’t have time for this.”

Stuart: “Why do you have nipples on your suit?”

Batman touches the earpiece in his mask. “Alfred, I was too late, the kid’s not here. Exhilarating, now.”