Lucy Liu Joins 'Shazam: Fury of the Gods' in Villain Role

“Shazam: Fury of the Gods” is adding a new villain to its superhero story, with Lucy Liu joining the cast as the villain Kalypso.

Read the full article over at Variety:

Helen Mirren was already on board to play the villain Hespera and now we have a second villain in the mix. As the article on Variety points out both Hespera and Kalypso are daughters of the Greek god Atlas - one of the seven gods that gives Shazam! his powers.

As a guy whose favorite superhero movie is ‘Shazam!’ and who has had a crush on Liu for over 25 years this is incredible news for me! As the article itself says, “Lucy Liu is officially a god.” Amen to that! She’s been a goddess for long enough! She won ‘Best Villain’ at the 2004 MTV Movie Awards for her character in ‘Kill Bill: Vol. 1’ and she’s no stranger to action films having done ‘Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever’, ‘The Man With The Iron Fists’, ‘Shanghai Noon’ and, of course, both ‘Charlie’s Angels’ films.

What do y’all think of Kalypso joining the movie and Liu portraying her?

(Thanks to @dc_community for the template on this post)

10 Likes

Well she is a Queen and now officially a Goddess! :purple_heart:

8 Likes

Tried to look up Kalypso but couldn’t find the character anywhere. I take it this would be a new character for DC?

Love Lucy Liu. She is an absolute legend for her role as O-Ren Ishii.

3 Likes

I believe Kalypso is a new character, yes. I looked up both her and Hespera in my copy of ‘DC Comics Ultimate Character Guide’ and neither was in there at all.

3 Likes

Calypso with a C is a character from greek mythology mainly in the odyssey and is the daughter of a titian maybe they are drawing from greek mythology for this one? or I could be completely wrong

3 Likes

Maybe I heard wrong, but I thought they were creating a new villain for this movie (again I could be misremembering things), so maybe this is it.

3 Likes

She’s playing a villain?! Nooo! But it’s so awesome that she’s in the DC Universe!

2 Likes

Hooray, Dr. Watson is gonna be in DC movies! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

She will always be, O-Ren Ishii to me.

3 Likes

STILL hoping for Mister Mind to return!

4 Likes

Right? Two or three scenes was not enough! Gotta pay off that mid-credit scene!

2 Likes

Stellar!

1 Like

Bumping this for two reasons:

1. Lucy Liu is still my celebrity crush
  2. I believe this movie may be in theaters as soon as next week! :eyes:

Regal Theaters has a Mystery Movie on Monday, January 9th and here’s what we know about the movie they will show:

• It hasn’t been released yet
  • It’s 130 minutes long
  • It’s PG-13
  • It’s not from a streaming platform
  • It is from a major studio

Well guess what, Shazam! Fury of the Gods hasn’t been released yet, it’s 130 minutes long, it’s rated PG-13, it’s not from a streaming platform and it is from a major studio!

I bought my tickets so I’ll be in the theater either way but giving y’all a heads up in case you can find your way into a theater near you as well.

This feels like something DC might do to get some buzz about the movie two months before it is released and because the movie, essentially, is inconsequential to the future of DC Studios and the cinematic universe Gunn and Safran are building. We also know that the movie is finished and ready for audiences as it was supposed to be released weeks/months ago but has been delayed for various reasons. The director, David F. Sandberg, recently viewed the film at the IMAX studios.

Fingers crossed that we get a sneak preview of the next DC movie come Monday!

1 Like

Wow, thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Did the January 9th film turn out to be Shazam 2? If so, how was it?

Nope - it was ‘Missing’ and it was just ok.

1 Like