Looking Foward To The Black Adam Series By Christopher Priest?

Black Adam is back in a ongoing series and according to writer Christopher priest is expected to go back to some villainous roots of the character.

Any thoughts or impressions about the Black Adam comic. What do you expect to see from this series and are you a fan or a newcomer to the character?

3 Likes

I love Black Adam, but Priest’s description made me far from enthusiastic. I will read the first issue, and if I do not like it then that is it, especially since I have already read many, many great comics starring him.

2 Likes

I was a huge fan of Priest’s Deathstroke series and the way it refused to shy away from the irredeemability of the character. This seems like a sort of spiritual sequel to that, so count me all the way in.

5 Likes

Black Adam is not irredeemable assuming his brother Al exists.

3 Likes

I understand this point of view if you’re a reader coming from a Geoff Johns perspective, but for the vast majority of his history, Black Adam was a villain. In his first appearance in 1945, and through the Shazam series of the 70s and 90s, he existed to draw contrast to Billy Batson’s use of the power of Shazam. Geoff tried to change that starting with Black Adam’s appearances in JSA, but I appreciate Priest taking the character back to his roots. Because unfortunately, time has proven that the use of Black Adam as a hero draws Billy himself into a back seat. That contrast must continue to exist for both characters to thrive.

5 Likes

Poor Goyer is always forgotten.

There are many ways to contrast than good and evil especially with how they are not pure good or pure evil.

Proof to the contrary.

There are plenty of contrasts that involve Adam being a villain who aspires to be a hero. Adam’s order to Billy’s chaos (Black Reign) and Billy’s forgiveness and determination for Adam to see him as a brother to Adam’s inability to move on (JSA B.C.). My personal favorite- Black Adam is fine with being seen as the villain, as long as he feels he is a hero in contrast to Billy being unable to have his status as a hero lowered (issue 59 for Billy and the next few issues for Adam).

They were chosen as champions by the same wizard, so it makes sense their would be one common attribute they have. They are both motivated by their deceased family to honor their memory, and this results in both of them seeking out a new family and being very protective of them.

1 Like

I am FOR SURE looking forward to this series, so much! Priest’s interviews have, as usual, hyped me up for his blend of dark humor, twisty plotting, and exploration consequences.

I especially love the way Priest is able to evoke sympathy and emotional engagement without ever justifying a villain’s actions, and I really hope to fall in love with Black Adam’s supporting cast as I did with Deathstroke’s!

4 Likes

Gonna have to agree with you 100% here. If they make him a good guy, it makes it almost redundant to have Shazam. Billy will essentially disappear without the balance they create. Especially if there is zero focus on Shazam, but tons of BA focus in film and print.

Black Adam is, at best, an anti-hero. Even that didn’t occur until recently. I think a lot of readers want to dismiss his role as villain (for the last fifty-ish years) without considering what it would mean to the Marvel Family.

2 Likes

22 years ago, and anti-villain is much more accurate.

2 Likes

Black Adam was a villain in DC print from 1977-2000. I assume you’re talking about John’s turning him into a “hero.” I don’t personally view a dictator joining the Secret Society of Super Villains to protect his country as anything other than an anti-hero. Sure, he was betrayed by Luthor, and acted heroically in the end… I guess. For me, a ruler who willingly teams with bad people to protect his country is no good guy. That’s just me though.

1 Like

I will read pretty much anything Shazam. But I recently rededicated myself to waiting and reading things as they show up here.

So far, Shazam books have been an exception.

Decisions, decisions.

Truthfully, though, while I often wanted to lock James Owesly in a room where he could do no more harm as writer or editor, the reborn Priest has written many, many incredible stories in comics and the super-hero genre.

I could never get into Deathstroke as a series character. Priest changed that to the extent I can now read the lesser books starring Slade… and they do tend to be lesser books.

4 Likes

That’s a fact. I find him tolerable now. I used to completely avoid the character.

2 Likes