Looking for Comics With Cool Styles

I recently finished New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke and i really loved the style he had with that comic. I just wanted to see if anyone knew any other comics that have a similar style to that or just comics that have a really unique/cool style. Thanks in advance

12 Likes

For starters- welcome to the community and hope to see more posts from you!

In answer to your question- if you enjoyed his work on New Frontier, Darwyn Cooke has a lot of DC work to his credit. One of his best is a story called Batman:Ego

Darwyn’s art is very similar to Tim Sale’s, who along with Jeph Loeb crafted one of the greatest Batman stories ever told with Batman: the Long Halloween

And Darwyn was definitely influenced by the King, Jack Kirby. Most were.

10 Likes

I really like Cliff Chiang’s art, and I think it has a similar look to New Frontier. Here’s his Wonder Woman (New 52 series).

And he was great on Green Arrow/Black Canary.

My first introduction to his work was the Vertigo Human Target series, but that’s not on DC Universe.

12 Likes

Batman 100 is a really cool art worthy comic. Plus a great read. Very unique. I think it won an Eisner but don’t quote me on that. Omega Men is also unreal & Madame Xanadu is one of my favorite underrated comics ever. It won multiple Eisner awards. Also…Legends of the DC Universe has incredible art as well as all of Grant Morrison’s Doom Patrol. Forgot… The Terrifics & The Silencer, also incredible art with great storytelling & all the JLD’s especially the new ones.

5 Likes

Madame Xanadu deserves so much more love than it gets. That whole era of Vertigo is underrated. The Losers, Human Target, Air, House Of Mystery, fantastic stuff.

6 Likes

Exactly!!! Also, all the ABC comics…Tom Strong, Terra Obscura is awesome, just dropped 32 issues of Promethea today too. Tomorrow Stories, Top 10, all amazing!!!

5 Likes

@III If you’d like more of Darwyn Cooke, but this time in more contemporary settings, check out:

â—Ź Batman/The Spirit
â—Ź Catwoman (2002) #'s 1-4
● Catwoman: Selina’s Big Score
â—Ź Solo #5
â—Ź Superman Confidential #'s 1-5 and 11 (one of his dandier writing gigs)

6 Likes

Darwyn wrote that story, but Tim Sale provided the art (definitely still worth checking out though).

5 Likes

See, that’s how good of a team they were. The whole thing just meshed together beautifully.

4 Likes

You beat me to these suggestions.

I will add The Spirit from Darwyn Cooke which is not on DCU at this moment. :frowning:

As for the rest of the suggestions I have not read them…yet!

@III welcome to DCU!!! I hope you have as much fun here as I have!

6 Likes

His run on The Spirit was so great. It’d be rad to see that run (and the rest of that series, really) hit digital if at all possible.

6 Likes

I have the first hardcover and sometimes I just look at the art work and not even bother reading it. He is one my favorite artists along with Michael Turner and Stjepan Sejic.

4 Likes

Superman Adventures is worth checking out.

Darwyn even illustrated a page of issue #41.
This page-

5 Likes

Vincent Giarrano has a dope style

7 Likes

For some stuff not on DCU, there’s the German Expressionist film influenced Superman: Metropolis/Batman: Nosferatu/Wonder Woman: The Blue Amazon with art by Ted McKeever. It’s collected in Justice Leagues: Elseworlds volume 2.

Batman & The Monster Men
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/batman-and-the-monster-men-2005-1/602497c4-9d89-40da-9ba5-b95e3d446d5c/
and its (not yet on DCU) sequel Batman & The Mad Monk feature some very stylish Matt Wagner work.

Batgirl: Year One has some really eye-catchingly stylized visuals (and is a great story in its own right).
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/batgirl-year-one-2002-1/dc6f5112-704b-4d68-8782-025c51f477b4/batgirl-year-one-books

Dusty Abell’s work on The Primal Riddle 1-3 is very cool and unique. DC Universe

I’ll also generally recommend anything with art by Kyle Baker or Klaus Janson. Both have very cool, stylized work.

3 Likes

His style is nothing like Darwyn’s, but Damion Scott’s work on the Cassandra Cain Batgirl series was incredibly distinct!

9 Likes

Shawn Martinbrough on Detective Comics (742-764) (had some guest artists in between)

The 2002 Brubaker run on Catwoman had Cooke as well as a few other great artists

The already mentioned Batgirl: Year One

3 Likes

Jeff Lemire’s Green Arrow run has some really beautiful art. The story is fantastic aswell.

10 Likes

Early '90s Giffen. I love it all.

6 Likes

Darwyn also made this-

5 Likes