"Look What I Just Got" Thread (Part 1)

These are pretty cool! I think I also spot a Rorschach up on the shelf…

6 Likes

I’ve missed you rat man

14 Likes

That art is so sick

8 Likes

Victor was a very nifty find.

I’ll forever take pot shots at the Cult Leader and his excessively fervent collection of aspiring minions but I will also be the first to admit that the attention and the fundraising for organizations such as this one is a very Good Thing. That’s also a shirt with the kind of silk screening or printing that I can get behind, since it looks painted on, versus one of those that feel like and, worse, look like iron-on decals, which especially if you are in a very hot desert environment, as I essentially am, feels uncomfortable against your skin. I think I might have preferred Lee’s art against a light gray or a light blue background versus black, as that looks like it has far too much detail.

bogus

This one would be the one I would like to buy, because it articulates and simply looks better, but everyone has it for nosebleed prices when you can find it, so I ended up talking a store that apparently has an overabundance of older DC stuff that it cannot get rid that they were willing to accept a near 40% markdown of their asking price on that auction site so I scored what’s probably a used copy of just that SDCC exclusive or something else since it’s a Solar Suit Project Kr that’s essentially a stand-straight-at-the-edge-of the-other-action-figures during any possible posing sessions once it arrives, so I’ve given up on those Eaglemoss figurines unless I can find one for under $9 or so.

Although I will, I guess, create a Grail post and put this one on there, since I’ve actually not come across it anywhere at any price, nosebleed or otherwise:

8 Likes

Congrats @DC89. Wish you and your lucky partner a bright and happy future :smiley:.

9 Likes

Got the pic from an ebay listing. Just search for “DC Direct Superboy”. Asking price seems to currently hover around $50 plush shipping. You can always save the search and keep your eye peeled for a better deal.

9 Likes

Y’see, we weren’t trying to go bananas cost wise. At first we figured we’d do a traditional standard size shindig- fifty to seventy-five guests or so, big church, big reception venue, and just do the classic wedding. But I’m going to tell you like this: nowadays the wedding planning/prep biz is one great big giant racket.

Everything has a price tag. A lot of the time they’re hidden. The price tags have price tags. There’s a freakin’ non refundable deposit on EVERYTHING. The entire process is designed to nickel and dime you out of every little bit of your funds. Case in point: I went to this woman’s fancy dress shop that I got referred to by my planner (a walk in place BTW- regular shop) and looked at some dresses. They were nice but I really didn’t see anything that worked for me, so I thanked the sales person for their time and left. About a week and a half later my planner called me, almost yelling at me, and asking me why I didn’t provide a gratuity to the owner of the shop (who was absent when I stopped in even though she said she’d be there). I was like “I didn’t know that a tip was a requirement”. “Well, of course it is!” she said almost breathlessly, so I’m like “OK, I’ll venmo it to her.” “It should be at least $500.” I’m like “At least $500? She wasn’t even there went I went in, and the place isn’t by appointment only, so yeah- I’m not gonna’ send her five bills.” That’s when the planner actually raised her voice and began reading me the riot act. I hung up on her and ended that gig right on the spot. That’s when Mama89 and I rolled up our sleeves and dug into the planning ourselves. And that’s just one of several crazy stories from the whole planner racket that I experienced. Mm hmm. :+1:

Now that sounds wonderful. So glad you both were able to experience that together. :smiley:

Thank you so much @SteveTrevor2.0. :smiley: :hugs:

Aww- thanx @moro. :smiley: :hugs:

10 Likes

Very nice. :+1:

@basicallytimdrake is right- that is solid art work. Good stuff there @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230. :smiley:

11 Likes

New old comics

Nothing quite matches the joy of adding more comics to my '90s Robin collection

And sorry for the poor quality pictures I took them in a rush

13 Likes

Ooo- lots of good ones here @basicallytimdrake. :+1:

10 Likes

Ah! Superboy and the Ravers! Cult classic…

9 Likes

^^^
The perfect reaction to all of that!

People must be out of their natural minds . . .

9 Likes

YES. Big Paulie’s reaction is absolutely relevant. Mm hmm. :+1:

8 Likes

Holy potatoes, Doctor Jones!

I knew weddings were a hard kick in the financial shorts, but I didn’t know the kick was that hard.

If and when I do get married, I have a feeling Ms. Right and I would just say “You know what? We’re forever united in love and our families and friends know we are too, so…why spend all of that money? We’ll move in together, go on a nice honeymoon and call it good.”

I know, its easy to say that when one is single. Once you’re in a relationship, everything probably changes and you do see why its worth spending the bread.

However, Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell never had a formal union and things worked out well for them. If it can work for the Jack O’Neil of Stargate and his lovely wife, then it could work for me, too! :smile:

Anyway…

Nice! The Batgirl Wedding Adventures: Hawaiian Style. :+1:t2:

You’re very welcome. May the years be blessed. :slight_smile:

Very spiffy lot, especially the Superboy and the Ravers issues.

Right?

I don’t care what anyone says, Superboy and the Ravers is a fun book.

…and yes, if I were to go to a rave, I’d don my black S-shield tee and blue jeans Conner cosplay.

That way, it’d literally be Superboy (me, dressed as him at least) and the ravers.

Get it?

crickets

Ha-cha-cha-cha! :smile:

7 Likes

So cool! Forgot to post it but I found an old Tim comic at my store recently

8 Likes

Cool!

7 Likes

I think it was a concept doomed to fail. First, because it just screams “desperate attempt to appeal to the youth.” Second, because, though I’m sure there are actual ravers who are comic book fans, there probably weren’t enough to keep a monthly title afloat (y’know, assuming that Kesel acurrately portrayed rave culture which… is maybe a stretch). Third, because you are actually more likely to find comic fans who are just generally hostile to the concept.

But, it was definitely fun! Conner is a great protagonist and the book utilized deep-cut DC references like the Khunds and the H-Dial. There were complex character interactions and exotic, inter-galactic settings. I’d be into seeing this concept revived for a mini!

5 Likes

In some ways yes, as S&TR is definitely a product of its time. A comic book time capsule, if you will.

That said, it wasn’t until just a few years ago that I read the whole series for the first time (in years prior, I had only read a random issue here and there).

With that in mind, I enjoyed the series just fine. It felt like a '90s product for sure, but I enjoyed it under a modern “microscope” as well.

I’ve never been to a rave, but I absolutely LOVE techno, trance, house music and the like.

Is that close enough to count as being a raver? :wink:

Earth-based rave culture? Yeah, probably an Eel O’Brian stretch.

Alien-based rave culture? Let’s say Kesel was spot-on as we turn up the Aphex Twin just a smooch more. :smile:

Comic fans being comically and ignorantly hostile to something without giving said something a fair shake?

The hell you say! :wink:

Agreed. I particularly enjoyed the H-Dial getting a new lease on life in the mag.

You know, the Cosmoteers in Superboy: The Man of Tomorrow are very reminiscent to me of the Ravers.

Is that just me, or do you think so, too?

pumps up the volume on Foggy’s “Come Into My Dreams” a smidge more

Techno on a Sunday morning. In the words of Frasier Crane, “Quite stylish!”

5 Likes

I don’t. Unfortunately my living space has never allowed for a lot of collecting. And since I live in the jungle, anything stored in the basement or attic is destroyed by humidity.

7 Likes

squints

Tarzan? Is that you, dear boy?

pushes Play on GNR’s Welcome to the Jungle

Good to see you, Kon! :hugs: How ya be?

7 Likes