LIVE Q&A with Laura Jean Shannon, Super Suit Designer for STARGIRL, BLACK LIGHTNING, TITANS, DOOM PATROL, & More! Thurs 5/7 @5pm PT/8pm ET

Hey LJ!

Q1: What is your most favorite costume you have ever done? (not limited to just DCU shows)

Q2: How did you get cast as the nurse in Little Boy?

sorry none of these are really DC related i’m just curious

3 Likes

What is the the cosmic staff going to like and how did you design it?

3 Likes

Hey LJ! Representing Fandom today! Thanks for your time! Just had two questions.

Which Stargirl costume was the hardest to translate from paper to actual product?

What was it like modernizing the Stargirl suit for Brec?

Were there any initial costume ideas for Stargirl that had to be changed because they were too extensive or had unrealistic expectations?

4 Likes

Hello. :slight_smile::wave:

Are there any unusual factors that go into designing a costume? I guess what I’m asking is, are there certain things that you as a costume designer have to consider that non-costume designers would never even think to consider?

3 Likes

What was the process for Van Pelt in Jumanji like? Were you a part of the decision to make Jonathan Hyde both the villain and the dad, and if yes, were you inspired by the classic Peter Pan tradition of having Hook & George Darling played by the same actor? And what went into Alan Parish’s jungle man design? Is there a story behind every piece of his suit?

4 Likes

Dear Laura,

Love your work on Titans. Will Kory/Starfire be getting a brand new costume in season 3? And did you guys draw inspiration from any specific comics when you came up with her new look?

4 Likes
  1. Will there be more super suit costumes designed for Black Lightning?

2. Will there be super suits for the Tamaranean sisters (Komand’r, Koriand’r) in Titans?

I cannot express how fascinated I am by you and your team’s work! I really do love the attention to detail, material used, and how it’s crafted and styled to both match its source material and fit as a practical suit for a TV production. You’re doing great!!!

4 Likes

Hello, Ms. Shannon!

Having worked on superhero properties for years (going back to the first Iron Man), my question to you is: what is the process behind taking some of the trickiest (or most impractical) comic-book costumes and making them work in live-action AND make sense/look good when worn by real human beings?

3 Likes

Hi Laura,

For Titans there was a prototype for Starfire’s suit in season 1, will you be building off of that or are you starting from scratch? Is Blackfire or Beast Boy getting one as well?

5 Likes

I am really excited for the series premiere of Stargirl. The costume for Courtney Whitmore looks amazing. Which specific comic incarnations did you take from when creating the costume?

4 Likes

I would also like to know when it comes to adapting the look of a first-time-to-screen comic character, how much of a final design is your own, and how much of it is from input from the director or other “higher-ups?” Thanks and best wishes.

3 Likes

Sorry…my 1st post I got excited & forgot to actually ask u my question lol. How hard/easy was it to design the R Star Robin detaches & throws. Is it an actual part of the costume? Or is it just filmed to look that way? Thank u for joining us. Regardless if u answer any of mine, we appreciate your participation especially in these times.

4 Likes

No questions really. Just wanna say thanks to you and your team for making all these great designs that are obviously super comic accurate but, also blending in your guys artistic touch and personalities

3 Likes

Is there a DC character out there whose costume you feel would be impossible or I credibly hard to translate to screen.

6 Likes

Hello Laura!!!

First off… If you were in anyway responsible for the Wonder Girl costume in TITANS… thank you!!! I absolutely loved seeing Donna in action like George Perez probably imagined it. That said, my question is… How would you imagine Diana’s costume if she guest starred for an episode. Would you lean more towards Lynda Carter’s? Or Gal Gadots? Or something different? In any case… HUGE FAN OF YOUR WORK!!!

4 Likes

wow :grinning:

3 Likes

You’ve done a lot of super hero genre work, which has got to mean a lot of character research, are there any characters that you haven’t gotten to do a design for yet that you’d really like to take a run at?

3 Likes

With so many great questions asked, just wanted to say thank you very much for all of your hard work into each of your projects! I have enjoyed seeing them all in action! :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

Hi Laura,

1. Which costume took the longest to finish because one or more little detail(s) did not lay or sit correctly?

2. Are there any costumes that you would like to go back to, either because the finished product didn’t meet your standards/vision and expectations or want to improve on with the experience you have now?

3 Likes

Hi Laura,
I’m wondering, do you have a favorite type of fabric to use, the one that gives you the most flexibility as a designer?

2 Likes