Live Q&A with Benjamin Le Clear, Official DC Archivist, Wednesday May 13th @3pm PT/6pm ET!

The good news on this front is that we have nearly everything we’ve ever produced in some capacity and we are actively seeking copies of things we are missing or loose issues that will make digitizing easier. What makes reconstruction difficult but not impossible are cases when we only have issues in Bound Volumes. Now our oldest bound volumes had spiral rings that punched holes in some of our oldest comics - but other copies do exist and that kind of damage can be repaired too. But we are slowly digitizing our collection and I hope to be even more aggressive about that in the future to help ensure we save our Intellectual Property and American History.

14 Likes

Thank you for that in-depth answer. That tagline from the editor is a neat tidbit that I’m confident I’ll be quoting!

5 Likes

I completely agree about digitization of the archives. These stories were meant to BE read, and so far I’m in my clover with the content already on the DC Universe app. (Unpaid plug: DOWNLOAD IT if you haven’t already!) But I’ve seen some classic stories already archived on the app… and it’s awesome. (Who KNEW that once upon a time, Doctor Fate was designed to be the magic version of the Firestorm matrix???)

5 Likes

Well it has elements of that - but it’s a lot more corporate in nature and in responsibility than some people would imagine. We’re also pretty insular. Always happy to help the academic community if we can - but the collection is really for DC and its fans.

11 Likes

I would so so love a deep-dive type of documentary series here on DCU about DC Archive and the entire restoration process, how different types of comics are restored and digitized (like what challenges there are for an issue from the 1940s to an issue from the 1990s) and showing some of the process, like how are colors chosen and matched, really nerdy details like that. Basicaly just showing us the entire process from paper to digital.

11 Likes

I think you’ve named the best ones. And I’ll punch anyone who doesn’t love Slam Bradley (or Slam or Shorty would) – but for other hidden gems in that pre-superhero era, I like Sandra of the Secret Service who started all the way back in New Fun #1. And I’m sure you are also fan of Jerry Siegel’s and Joe Shuster’s SPY – sure Bart Regan is just OK - but for me the real character find in the strip is Sally Norris who feels like an early version of Lois Lane. And maybe Don Drake on Planet Saro.

12 Likes

Real Fact comics was a great series. Nobody seems to ever mentions it or get as excited about it as I do. I really like comic book biographies like those in Real Fact or our Wonder Woman backup feature “Wonder Women of History”. I think they are amazing time capsules and biographies - but there is a prejudice against this type of material because its not contemporary and doesn’t have a superhero or central character. My hope is that we can digitize it someday and let people decide for themselves.

12 Likes

You know, I personally second that deep dive idea. Honestly, sometimes I think there ought to be an online DC University of the Arts. A serious school where we could go on like, Zoom classrooms and learn comics from those who MAKE them. I could even see that Real Wonder Women of History actually being a DC University course…

6 Likes

Perhaps the answer is to get a few of these bio comics on the service and gauge fan reaction?

6 Likes

Thankyou for your reply and couldn’t agree more, I love history and would have love to read it, Beside I wasn’t around in the 40s!:grin:

5 Likes

I will add my voice to those of a video documentary of the archives and the archiving and restoration process. It is a fascinating topic.

10 Likes

No genre of comics has ever been as mistreated and neglected as Romance Comics. I am a converted modern fan of this material. One of the things about the shelves of the DC Archives is that its real estate spells out what comic were truly popular. When you walk past rows of Young Love, Young Romance, Heart Throbs, Falling In Love, Etc… it’s unmistakable how big these were. And then you open them up and you see art good enough for Lichtenstein to swipe for a painting and the covers of John Romita and the all-american Melodrama of soap operas and you know you have something special.

But these books (and every publisher produced them) are also important and neglected parts of comic book history. A genre that has its origins with the magic team of Simon & Kirby, features so many incredible (and far too many unknown) creators and the work of pioneering women editors like Zena Brody and others should not be ignored.

I can say that interest in and respect for this genre has never been higher at DC (but it was virtually non-existent when I started). I’ve been able to introduce lots of younger employees to these and they’ve taken to the incredible art work and over the top melodrama the same way I have.

I have faith that this material will find its way out again some day soon.

15 Likes

We have an original Jack Kirby drawn Jimmy Olsen Cover that we framed in a spot that we will see every time we walk in the door. I never thought I’d be that close to the King. But the DC Comics house copy of Action Comics #1 and the Ash-Can for it - are hard to not bow to every time you see them.

11 Likes

Thank you, that’s awesome to hear! I’ve only seen some of the covers for these series but they look lovely and I can imagine having my morning coffee on a lazy Sunday curled up with my iPad and enjoying some wholesome romance. Hey, no judging! :grin:

7 Likes

I just wanna say I am rapt right now. This is one of the best Q&As we’ve ever had. Getting to do stuff like this is why DCU exists.

13 Likes

I agree.:grinning:

5 Likes

Trying so hard not to say “swoon” after every response.

8 Likes

I’ve read some of those classic romance stories, and all I’ll say is this: if you thought that the creativity and craziness of the Golden and Silver Ages were restricted to the comics with capes, you’d be mistaken. They are wacky, problematic, and mind-boggling at times, but they’re loads of fun and very addictive.

8 Likes

I can assure you, @Applejack , you are not alone in that sentiment. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

It would be so awesome to see @benjamin.leclear on DC Daily, to show like old comics and talk about it’s history.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes