Live Q&A with Benjamin Le Clear, Official DC Archivist, Wednesday January 27th @2pm PT/5pm ET!

Welcome bac, Mr. LeClear!

1. Any insights or opinions on why none of the heroes from the first several issues of New Fun Comics managed to gain any traction, and were all dropped within a few years?

On a related note, with 2023 only two years away, any chance we’ll finally get the conclusion to the “2023: Super Police” storyline that ran from New Fun comics #1 - 14?

7 Likes

This is what I was going to ask as well! How is it decided which comics to digitize first or how is priority determined?

9 Likes

Mr. Le Clear
Thanks for stopping by again. Understandably superhero comics are a priority for digitization. But, what are your thoughts about adding some of DC’s other genres to the mix. Combat, Western and Romance comics were industry leaders at one time, any chance a few of those get added to the mix?
Hint need Sgt Rock

9 Likes

Hello Mr. Le Clear! I hope you are doing well. I just started grad school so that I can hopefully become an archivist. You have my dream job. What advice do you have for someone who would like to have a similar job someday?

8 Likes

Hello again Mr Le Clear,
Could you give any insight into where Romance comics are in the process. Might we see a dump of them in 2021?

Thank you and my very best wishes to you and all your team. Stay safe.

6 Likes

Hello Benjamin Le Clear,

I work at a library, and I love watching our librarians and archivists do their amazing work. I always love discoveries or a fresh look at a known fact and putting it in context. For example, as of 2017 Bill Finger was finally given much deserved credit for his design and creative process in regards to Batman.

I was wondering, what discoveries have excited you or made you appreciate a comicbook character’s history even more?

10 Likes

Welcome back, Mr. Le Clear! Thank you for your time. The last Q&A was the best one and I’m sure this one will be just as fun, informative, and educational!

For my question, I don’t believe this was touched on last time, but I have always wondered if the old Detective Comics and such, that contained multiple stories but were restored with just Batman stories only, if there was a chance that we actually see complete versions of those in the future? I would hate to lose all of that history!

Thank you again for everything you do to make sure none of DC’s art ever goes away! :purple_heart:

9 Likes

And Tiny Titans 41-50!

5 Likes

This is an extra question on my part, so please feel free to ignore it. When did those early comics shrink down to something closer to modern comics size? New Fun #1 was essentially the size of a tabloid newspaper (per your “Yes, it really was this big” lead in the preface), but any pictures of, say, Action #1 I’ve seen show it at regular comics size. Slightly larger than today’s books, to be sure, but not by two whole paper sizes like the relationship between New Fun to a regular comic. So, when did they shift from tabloid to magazine?

4 Likes

Many issues of Golden and Silver Age titles must have been restored for the much-missed “DC Archive Editions” line and even for some of the more recent omnibus or “Celebration of 75 Years” books, but not all of the stories included in those books are available here or at Comixology. I am thinking, in particular, of the Golden Age Green Lantern Archives and even the Golden Age Wonder Woman Omnibuses. There are beautiful copies in those books of stories that most people have never read.

If DC already has those issues restored (and presumably digitized) what factors might influence their decisions not to post them here at DC Universe or even on Comixology? I can understand the reluctance to invest the time, money, and care in digitizing fragile old comics that maybe not many people are clamoring to read, but why not just release all the issues already prepared? I feel I am surely not considering some piece of the logic that I would appreciate understanding.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for doing this! I really enjoyed reading your previous Q&A this morning!

9 Likes

Thanks. I remember that well. I see your Barry Bostwick and raise you a Count Dante

12 Likes

Does the man know how to make an entrance or what?! Welcome back, @benjamin.leclear , thank you for your time and that beautiful Count Dante treasure!

10 Likes

I don’t have a direct say in what backlist issues we digitize – though many of the files we use in our collected editions and digital offerings have come directly from scans of the comics in the DC Library Archives. It is my supreme hope that DC Universe Infinite will be able to someday soon allow us to offer even more obscure or forgotten issues from our past.

But it will take eyeballs – the more people who view or request our back-list titles, the more financial sense it will make for the company to spend the time and money it takes to get these books into viewing shape.

I really believe that Digital Comics is the greatest chance so many of our comics have to be seen and enjoyed by future readers. Filling in entire runs of some of the titles you have mentioned are long standing goals for a lot of people involved in the process. But - I won’t be happy until everything is digitized and available – including our shared fondness for Real Fact Comics

17 Likes

Thankyou for answering my question, have a great week!:grinning:

7 Likes

I love to look for and celebrate forgotten characters. I’m very passionate (well about everything) about Merry the Gimmick Girl, Air Wave and more recently WING - who really is the 8th Solider of Victory and I believe to be the very first Asian costumed superhero.

But I love the creators and company histories behind all of the characters as well.

and I hope to never run out of new finds.

14 Likes

There’s a lot of work still to be done and much of it we can’t get to until it’s safe to work in the office again. The biggest work is in our non-comic material (which includes things as varied as film scripts, Julius Schwartz’s talent ledgers, memorandum, photos, etc…) - before we shut down for COVID I had stumbled into a pitch bible from comic panels of ours that Mike Carlin had created for Jeanette Kahn to use to pitch the show Lois and Clark.

12 Likes

Thank you! From the day I first heard of Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson and New Fun #1, getting this landmark issue reprinted for the first time has been a dream of mine. I was told repeatedly in the beginning that it was impossible and couldn’t be done – so it really feels like a miracle that we were able to pull it off and it was able to reach fans like you. And that we were able to do it as a new addition (with correct issue numbering) to the great Famous First Edition line – makes it 2 dreams fulfilled in one project.

For the Ian Levine collection – no surprises on the list (but several things we want). I’m just glad to know that it exists – but for now we’re focused on the needs and files coming out of our collection.

10 Likes

Sounds awesome™:+1:
Hope when things clear up it can be looked at.

Thanks for answering

8 Likes

Hello Mr Leclear! I want to know, what your favorite single issue you’ve read was, Thank You! :dc:

8 Likes

I think what any responsible time traveler and lover of Superman would do is buy paper for Joe. He was so poor that he had to draw his samples on the backs of old wallpaper and other discards.

And I’d buy logs or fuel for the Shuster and Siegel families – to keep them warm through that Cleveland winter. And more light – to help the strain on Joe’s eyes.

And then I’d shake their hands, fight off the tears so as not to frighten them and tell them “Thank You for all the Hope you are about to share with the world”.

And selfishly I’d advise them (that in the future when they are working to the strip) to stay with Slam Bradley longer – and tell Joe how much I love his Spaceships.

16 Likes