Live Q&A with Andrew Orloff, Creative Director of Zoic Studios, AKA FX for STARGIRL, ARROW, FLASH, & More! Wednesday 7/08 @2pm PT/5pm ET

Live Q&A with Creative Director of Zoic Studios, FX for Stargirl, Constantine, Arrow, Flash, & More! Wednesday July 8th @2pm PT/5pm ET

Wednesday_Q&A_Facebook

Ever wonder what goes into making all of those incredible visual FX that bring superheroes to life? Now’s your chance to ask one of the masters of visual FX all your questions! Joining us to talk about making people fly or incantations come to life is Andrew Orloff, Creative Director of Zoic Studios! Ask him all your questions about his studio’s work on Stargirl, Constantine, Flash, Arrow, Avengers: Age of Ultron and more on Wednesday, July 8th at 2pm PT/5pm ET!

Please limit to just 1 question; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back Wednesday, July 8th to read Andrew’s answers LIVE!

11 Likes

Hi Mr. Andrew Orloff,

What is the hardest task you have had to tackle so far? And your work is amazing by the way!!!

Thank you in advance!!!

6 Likes

Hello Andrew, What’s it’s like bringing the Cosmic staff to life on Stargirl? Love how the prop becomes a character.:grinning:

6 Likes

Hello Mr. Orloff, it is a pleasure to be able to talk with you, and I thank you for your time. From Westeros to the Arrowverse, I am in awe of what you and Zoic Studios have been able to accomplish. Special effects on television have never been better, and you are a big part of that. I especially enjoy what I have been seeing on Stargirl during its inaugural season. That first fight scene at the opening of the premier episode was epic. I have my fingers crossed that Dr. Fate will someday make an appearance. I would love to see how you would bring his powers to life.

On a different note, my question; if you were to find yourself with a couple of weeks to get away, would you rather spend that time in a secluded mountain hideaway,or would you rather relax on some tropical beach?

Again, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to be here with us today. I look forward to being floored by seeing the characters I love brought to life on the small screen. You totally rock!

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Andrew Orloff, I hope you, your family, and everyone are doing as great as Zoic Studios’ FX. I hope I get the honor to intern for Zoic Studios later in my college career. You and your company are superbly incredible, and everything you have worked on has been the highest quality. How do you manage to accomplish this so consistently when projects have different budgets? @AndrewOrloff Thank you so very much for doing this Q+A and help making Stargirl my new favorite show!

5 Likes

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. I was checking out Zoic Studios website, your company has worked on so many of my favorite shows. Even FlashForward which was cancelled way too soon. But my question is can you tell me anything about working on the series Man in the High Castle. It was one of my favorite series, and the world the was created using fx and physical sets was amazing. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi! :wave: What would you say has been your favorite memory from your job?

4 Likes

Thank you so much for joining us! The special effects done on Flash and Stargirl (along with all the other shows handled by Zoic) have always blown me away. The attention to detail is simply staggering. What would you say the most difficult shot was to pull off?

4 Likes

Hello Mr. Orloff,
Thanks for taking the time to answer these fan questions. Your visual effects work on the Arrowverse shows including Stargirl has been incredible! Were you a comic book fan prior to working on these projects? Also, what character/show has been your favorite to work on?
-Justin Gilmore

4 Likes

Hello Mr Orloff,
Visual effects would seem to operate on the “lots of money up front to create the object/effect, but that would mean that the more it gets used, the lower the relative cost would be. Economies of scale and all that.

So what effect has given you and your team the biggest “reuse/bang for the buck”? (Either DC shows or any show you’ve done.)

3 Likes

Good Day Andrew!
Happy to have a person who helps bring the DC characters we love to Life, take the time to talk with fans it means a lot. Thank you for your work.
If you were a comic book character with the power of visual FX what would be your SuperHero Name and who would be your sidekick? :grinning:

1 Like

Hello thanks for stopping by.

My question is is there a dream character you would like to tackle with the FX?

2 Likes

Hello Andrew,
Thanks for being here. One of my favorite shows was the cancelled too soon, Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It was such a great series, I just wondered if you have any stories about working on that particular show. Beast Wizard forever!

Hiya! My question is this: Who or what inspired you to pursue your career in this field?

1 Like

Hello Andrew Orloff thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I have enjoyed your work on many movies and TV shows. The question I have for you is what is the hardest visual effect that you have ever had to work on and did it come out the way you wanted it to?

1 Like

Hi Andrew! I’m loving all of the visual effects on Stargirl, especially the cosmic staff! My question is, how does your company pull off having such amazing film quality effects like the cosmic staff or Solomon Grundy on a television show?

1 Like

I’ve hard a lot of industry folks say water and hair are often times some of the hardest things to animate and make life-like. What do you think is another one of the hardest things to make real and have you had to face a task like that before?

1 Like

Hi Andrew!

Amazing work, and thanks for bringing the DC Universe to life!

Two questions:

Who is your favorite DC character and why?

What has been your biggest challenge in your industry thus far?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Andrew! Thank you so much for doing this!

You’ve worked on some great shows! I’m not sure how deep your comics knowledge goes but my question is -

If you could work on the VFX for ANY DC character in a future project, who would you choose and why?

I’m dying to see a Martian Manhunter movie and I feel like it would have to be heavy in VFX seeing how he is a shape shifter and all.

1 Like

Hi Andrew!

Thank you so much for joining us today- the work your studio has done has set a new standard in VFX.

As a practical and makeup FX lover, I wonder if you work closely with the practical teams like props, costumes, makeup, to make sure the VFX complement and amplify that work? Is your team present on set to ensure alignment, or are they different silos that operate more on a trust system?

Thank you again for your time!

2 Likes