Live Q&A w/ X-O MANOWAR and HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS Writer Rob Venditti, Fri March 27th @1:00pm PT/4:00pm ET!

Tons! From Astro City, I started reading the entire ABC Comics line. From there, things really opened up. I probably read 50+ comics a month now. Most of it is DCU stuff because I want to make sure I know what’s going on in the universe. But I read other things as well. Right now, I’m reading the Neil Gaiman Sandman run. So many classics to catch up on.

6 Likes

Absolutely! I love it!

3 Likes

Everything is a highlight. All I ever wanted to be was a writer, and here I am doing it.

Lowlights . . . I won’t say because maybe some of those missed opportunities will pan out someday.

6 Likes

Never thought of it that way. Thank u so much for joining us.

3 Likes

Thanks so much, Vroom!

6 Likes

Beats me. Haha

6 Likes

How have your perceptions changed on characacters since starting in the business vs now? Who was you fave then vs now?

3 Likes

I pitched for it and got the gig. After having my own book adapted into another medium (The Surrogates into a feature film), I wanted to try my hand at the adaptation process. I’ve done 10 novels and counting. Working with Rick Riordan was great from day one.

7 Likes

Thanks for reading! I think most of all Carter fears that he’ll never balance the scales for all the lives he took when he was a villain. As for what happens if he ever does . . . keep reading.

8 Likes

The great thing about Hawkman is he can be any genre. Now that he reincarnates across time and space, everything is on the table, We try to reflect that in the stories. We’ve had him on Earth and in space. We’ve shown version of him as a classic superhero (Catar-Ol), A pulp hero (Katarthul), a war hero (the various lives in #13), and more. After #22, the same is true for Hawkwoman as well. They’re unlike any other characters in comics.

7 Likes

Where should I start?

The most important thing, I think, is to be humble. Listen to editors and peers. You’ll never have writing all figured out because it’s art–it un-figure-outable. You’ll always be learning.

7 Likes

That’s difficult to answer. I think stories tell you what they want to be. I’ve written novels and screenplays, too. It isn’t some much about finding the headspace as the material telling you what headspace you need to be in. At least, that’s how it works for me.

7 Likes

Hey, Rob! I love reading your work for the characters. No matter how bombastic or insane the circumstances, the conflicts still feel personal and each character has an arc. Is it difficult to keep characters grounded and real while at the same time crafting fantastic adventures for them to go on?

2 Likes

Tim Truman’s original Hawkworld miniseries absolutely blew me away. Still does.

7 Likes

If u could be a Lanturn which color would u chose, or which u think fits with your personality?

Also huge of of your on Hal Jordan and Green Lanturn Corp. Hope one day u can return to doing more of Green Lantern books.

2 Likes

I do a lot of research. I can’t even remember how much Green Lantern I read. It has to be over 500 issues.

My favorite non-Earth Lanterns are Kilowog, Hannu, Graf Toren, and Mogo. My favorite non-Earth Lanterns that we created during our run are Two-Six and Space Ape.

6 Likes

They’re all unique and challenging in their own ways. It’s like flexing different muscles. With something like Green Lantern, there are constrains put on you by continuity, the rules of the universe, and so on. Those constraints breed creativity. With a creator-owned project like The Surrogates, you’re freer because you’re the one building the universe. That’s a different type of creativity.

5 Likes

Thanks Mr. Venditti!
4:40pm (my memory doesn’t always work)

3 Likes

Happy birthday! My favorite issues of Hawkman are #5-#6. And #23, which won’t be out for a while because of the distributor shutting down. For Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, they’re the Guy Gardner issue (#17, I think?), and the one with Hal Jordan in a race across space with Lightray (#28?). But, honestly, you should read them all. Haha

6 Likes

Hector was a champ during that whole Instagram interview. Haha

My top 3 wishlist characters are Superman, Nightwing, and JSA. I’m doing the Superman Giant series now, but I’d still like to tackle the character within the DCU.

7 Likes