Live Q&A w/ X-O MANOWAR and HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS Writer Rob Venditti, Fri March 27th @1:00pm PT/4:00pm ET!

Do you find that writing comics takes its own unique headspace, and if so, how do you find yours?

2 Likes

Hey Robert! Your Hawkman series has been absolutely incredible and has made Carter Hall one of my favorite DC characters. Because of that, I’ve been wanting to read more of the Winged Warriors exploits.

What is your personal favorite Hawkman run?

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

Dear, Mr. Venditti,
Your work on Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps has been highly recommended to me. Do you have a favorite (more obscure) green lantern? Also did you ever have to “study” when you were going to be writing a character.
-Jack

3 Likes

Hello Rob, I was wondering if you could put into the words how working on long-standing stories, like Green Lantern, felt compared to adaptations from novels you’ve done, as well as how it compared to your original work.

2 Likes

Rob, I love your work! Today’s actually my birthday but due to lockdown in my town, I’ve been spending my time reading comics and watching movies and playing guitar since my family can’t visit. Which single issue did you enjoy working on the most? Would love recommendations to go through right now from the writer himself. Thank you In advance!

3 Likes

Hello, everybody! Thanks so much for stopping by. I’m here to answer your questions about Hawkman, Justice League, Green Lantern, or anything else comics. Let’s get started!

9 Likes

Welcome to the DCU Community, Rob! Can’t wait! :popcorn:

3 Likes

Thanks, Nathan! I read 250+ issues of Hawkman stories. Because I wanted to tell a story that unified all the various incarnations of the character, I wanted to make sure I knew them all. As for my favorite of those early issues, it’s hard to pick. Working with Bryan Hitch was such an amazing experience. My answer would probably be the 2-parter with Hawkman and Atom in the Microverse. Pure fun.

7 Likes

It’s difficult to do the same level of research for a team book because there are so many characters. Luckily, with Justice League, I’ve been a regular reader of Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, and Aquaman for years. So I was already familiar with them. John Stewart I’d written when I was on Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps. Not as much research was needed.

7 Likes

You were such a great sport on Instagram (tech issues). Thanks so much for everything you do for DC and us the fans! You mentioned Dick Grayson being one of three characters you’d love to work on. Who are the other ?!

2 Likes

Thanks! The original plan was for me to do 20+ issues, but DC offered me a dream project that I couldn’t pass up. Double-ship books like Justice League are schedule eaters, so I couldn’t fit both books. #47 will be my last issue of JL.

8 Likes

I find Guy to be tragic and noble in his own way. Despite all the great feats in his career, he still doesn’t view himself as worthy. That’s really relatable because I think it’s something everyone has felt at some point in their life. If you keep that as Guy’s emotional center, then I think he becomes very easy to write. He also the most fun to write.

6 Likes

I’ve always worked from home throughout my writing career. Of course, everyone is home now, so there’s some juggling trying to get the kids going with school and still putting in a full workday writing. Not he plus side, we’re all getting a lot more family time.

8 Likes

I want the artists I work with to feel free to bring their own storytelling and creativity to the books we do together. I’d never want them to feel bound to my script. If it’s a continuity error–a GL ring on the wrong hand, for example–that’s one thing. But I rarely ask for panels to be redrawn. I actually don’t remember the last time it happened.

7 Likes

:eyes:

Whatever this is, I can’t wait for it.

2 Likes

Hmmm. That’s a good one. I’ve thought about Hawkman having a past life as a Lantern. Does that count?

10 Likes

Jesse Owens was the first thing I thought of when they asked me to write Freedom Fighters. I figured, if Hitler won the war, Owens is the first person he would’ve gone after.

6 Likes

I already added Madame Xanadu in the first arc. After that, probably Shining Knight. Or Etrigan/Jason Blood.

7 Likes

Oh my god. Guy Gardner has impostor syndrome. That explains SO MUCH.

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it! I’d love to do more Freedom Fighters someday.

As for the Guardians, the original group definitely had some bad apples in the bunch. But I think Ganthet and Sayd have their hearts in the right place. Overall, I think they’re a benefit because they bring a perspective to the Corps that otherwise wouldn’t be there.

7 Likes