Live Q&A w/ X-O MANOWAR and HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS Writer Rob Venditti, Fri March 27th @1:00pm PT/4:00pm ET!

Live Q&A w/ Writer Rob Venditti, Fri March 27th @1:00pm PT/4:00pm ET!

Facebook

Starting Friday, March 27th at 1:00pm PT/4:00pm ET, we’ll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with the man, the myth, Rob Venditti! One of the most versatile writers in comics, Mr. Venditti has brought new life to longtime favorites like the Demon, Green Lantern, and Hawkman. He’s currently concluding a run on Justice League featuring the Spectre.

Please try to limit the number of questions asked to 1-2; this way, more people have a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back at 1:00pm PT/4:00pm ET on Friday, March 27th to read Rob’s answers LIVE!

Expand for Highlights of Rob Venditti's Work:

Demon Knights (2011) #16-23
Green Lantern (2011) #21-52
The Flash (2011) #30-49
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (2016)
Hawkman (2018)

8 Likes

Wow!

3 Likes

Rob, I want to start by saying that your Hawkman is amazing! How much research went into making Hawkman more accessible and which hawkman from #1-8 is your favorite (excluding Carter)

5 Likes

Thank you for doing this Rob. When you are writing a team book like Justice League or Demon Knights how much character research is involved before you actually begin writing?

5 Likes

I’ve really been loving your Justice League! It’s so rare to have a run that juggles high stakes threats while keeping the story grounded with character building elements — especially one which acknowledges the rest of the current DC Universe. I see that Si Spurrier is taking over for a fill-in arc after this next Spectre storyline. Can you say if you will be returning after that, or will there be another writer on deck?

6 Likes

For my second question, let’s talk Guy Gardner. Guy is sometimes a difficult character for some people to like, but when he’s written the right way there’s no one like him to light up a scene. Among many things your GLC run does right is how well you do making Guy sympathetic and likeable without softening him. So what’s the magic key to writing Guy Gardner?

6 Likes

Thanks for taking some time out to answer our questions. My question is are you working from home more now and if so has working on your comics been easer or harder to concentrate while staying at home.

3 Likes

What has been some Of the hardest things for artists to get right when they draw a piece out from your script. What would you have them change or fix to get the vision that you have in your head right.

3 Likes

Thank you for all your contributions to my entertainment! Especially Green Lantern. I am really grateful in these weird times we are living in.
If you could induct any character in the DC universe into the Green Lantern corps that hasn’t already been there, who would it be?

4 Likes

I’m a huge Freedom Fighters fan. I’m also big on promoting local famous people. Jesse Owens hails originally from Cleveland. Was it your idea specifically to include him in the new version? Or was it pitched to u?

6 Likes

If you could bring over a character from Demon Knights to join the Justice League roster, who would you choose?

5 Likes

First Mr. Venditti I wanted to say you slaughtered it with the new Freedom Fighters and I wanted to ask, would you be open to doing another Freedom Fighters ( perhaps on another Earth ) or are you moving on from them ?

Second, I am all about Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps, but my grind is The Guardians. I see them more of a problem to the Green Lantern Corps than a benefit, do you see the Guardians as beneficial / needed to The Green Lantern Corps , or what is your take on the Guardians ?

3 Likes

I know originally you weren’t a fan of comics until later in your adult years and after reading Kurt Busiek’s Astro City, I was wondering if you started reading more comics since then, and what comics are you currently reading?

2 Likes

What’s been your high light and low light of working in the comic book industry?

1 Like

Mr. Venditti,

Hi and hello. :wave: :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t have any questions, only tremendous praise.

Thank you for your Green Lantern run. Following in Geoff Johns’ footsteps is no enviable task, but you absolutely nailed it and then some. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was the seminal Green Lantern work of the Rebirth era.

Thank you for your Hawkman run. As a fan of Hawkman since age 7, your work on the property stands toe to toe with The Winged Warrior’s best. Truly a modern classic.

Thank you for your Justice League run. It reinvented a series that grew stagnant and returned The World’s Greatest Heroes to big, fun adventures once more. I look forward to more of your tenure on this book.

Thank you for your run on Superman Giant. Your stories so far are fun and highly entertaining. If you should get the chance to write a core Superman title, PLEASE do so as I feel you’ve got the right stuff to be a modern master of the greatest superhero of all time. Your work on Superman Giant is certainly proof of how far you can make Superman soar.

In conclusion, thank you for your time and your tremendous (and prodigious) output at DC. I sincerely hope to see your name on many more DC books in the years to come.

4 Likes

How does the dark knights version 0f batman take over the willpower of the ring if the green lantern ring is supposed to overpower all

2 Likes

One last question how did you get involved in adapting Percy Jackson and the Olympians into a graphic novels?

1 Like

Rob - your Hawkman series has made this lifelong Hawkman fan VERY happy. I’ve loved each issue, page and panel.

As the writer of Hawkman I’m curious what you think he fears? Second question - if he ever even the scales between the amount of people he’s killed and the amount of people he’s saved, would that make him mortal? Would his next death be his last?

Thanks for taking the time to do this and THANK YOU for making Hawkman soar once again.

2 Likes

Rob , What Genre would you Consider "Hawkman " ? Do you consider him more of a Space Adventure or a Sword and Sorcery Conan type?

2 Likes

Hi Mr. Venditti, I want be a writer.
Any advice?
Thanks for doing the q&a.

3:38pm

3 Likes