Live Q&A w/ Tom King! Thurs, 4/16 @ 3:00pm PT/6:00pm ET

Live Q&A w/ Tom King Thursday 4/16 @3pm PST/6pm ET!

Facebook

Starting Thursday, April 16th at 3 PST/6 EST, we’ll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with Tom King, followed by a deep dive interview on DC Daily! Tom King joins us as the extraordinary visionary behind many DC titles including Nightwing, Mister Miracle, The Sheriff of Babylon, Batman, and more!

Please try to limit the number of questions asked to 1-2; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back at 3 PT/6 ET on Thursday, April 16th to read Tom’s answers LIVE!

15 Likes

Scott Snyder tells the story of how Grant Morrison advised him “to imagine a birth and an end for your version of Bruce.” Do you have a vision of your Batman’s “beginning and probable end” (to steal a quote from Denny O’Neil)? And how did the Rebirth initiative help to shape that vision?

8 Likes

Mr. King, I want to thank you for your consistent kindness and warmth at cons - I’ve seen you at four of them, and every time you were incredibly kind and gracious. I also want to thank you for writing a Bruce who, for the first time, I loved more than his supporting cast. Seeing Bruce fall and rise again was so inspirational and powerful to me, and I cannot wait to read Bat/Cat when you and Clay Mann have it ready for us!

My questions for you are: 1) Do you have another Superman story in you? Up in the Sky is one of my favorite things you’ve ever done, and I hope that someday you can come back to him with a new tale - one-shot, 12-issue miniseries, or 100 issue run!

And 2, the question I asked at all the cons I saw you at: will you put Stephanie Brown in some more comics, please? :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hello Mr King, I admire your work greatly and the stories of mental health you have told. I find them very interesting and educational for me and to other people. I consider Mister Miracle one of the best DC comics stories and one of the best comics ever made. I regard it as essential reading for any person getting into comics. I hope that your great work will continue with whatever charcter you use next and continue your deconstruction of the DCU

My Questions

1. What kind of stories would have been in Batman if you were given the 100 issue run
  2. How do you work themes into your stories
7 Likes

Hey Tom, Can you give us any details on your watchmen project? Also you’ve mention Batman/Catwoman is connected to 5G in an interview. Can you give any more details?

5 Likes

Hello Tom! I really enjoyed your Grayson and Mister Miracle, and I am really looking forward to your Bat and the Cat story continuing. I know you focus on a core theme in your books, and I was wondering what your theme for Strange Adventures is?

6 Likes

Hello Tom, I have a question, What was it like writing a Crossover with Batman and Elmer Fudd? I just love how realistic the Looney Tunes characters are.

Thankyou for your time.:grinning:

4 Likes

Hello,
Given the nature of comics, it seems likely that Alfred will return some day so I am wondering, do you think about the long term evolution of the characters when you’re writing or do you only focus on your own window of time?
If you could pick one plot/character development from your stories that could never be undone by another creator, what would it be?
Thank you.
Scott

4 Likes

Can we talk about the Nain Pit? You introduced this new type of Lazarus Pit in your Batman run which exchanges a life for a life. I was certain it would be used at the end of your run for the return of a certain butler… but now it hangs over the story like an unfired Chekov’s gun. Do you have any plans in waiting for the Nain Pit?

8 Likes

Hi Mr. King,

First, I wanna say that I’m a real big fan of DCeased, and I consider it one of your best works :wink:

In all seriousness though, my question: How did the idea come about to have Nightwing get shot in the head by KGBeast? Obviously it made for a great cliffhanger, but I’m curious to know how involved you were with the direction of that character.

And one more if you don’t mind my asking: Why do you incorporate so many ellipses in your dialogue between characters? I can’t think of any other comic writer who does this to the extent you do, and I’ve always wanted to know why.

4 Likes

Hello
Really enjoy your work with the Bat. But also your work with Bane. I’m a huge bane fan an love it when he get the brain and brawn treatment.

My questions are

1.Why did you decide to make Bane the “big bad” of the run?

2.A fun one. What kind of flavor of wedding cake would Batman and Catwoman have if they had a cake?

5 Likes

Hi Mr. King,

I’m a huge fan of your writing. I’ve enjoyed everything of yours I’ve been able to get my hands on. Your run on Batman was my favorite. And I’m excited for when we can start reading Strange Adventures again.

1. Do you have a bucket list of character and/or stories you want to write or does it just pop up “hey I want to write {insert character}” when you’re almost done with your current run?

2. What has been your favorite moment(s) since starting in comics?

Thank you for your time!

5 Likes

Hello Tom,

I am a huge fan of your writing. I adored Mister Miracle, am hooked to Strange Adventures, and absolutely loved your Batman run. It is one of, if not my favorite Batman run.
My questions are:
1- How important is it to keep the character of Batman growing as a character, as we have seen with him finding love in Selina while still being Batman and finding that balance in your Batman run?
2- why do you think Bruce and Selina are so popular as a couple and work so well as a couple in so many different mediums? Their relationship may be unconventional, but it seems to work in their own way and resonate for so many fans.

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, you are a brilliant writer and your Eisners are well deserved! Looking forward to finishing Strange Adventures!

3 Likes

Hi Mr. King,

I am a big fan, and you’re a constant inspiration to me.
Questions;

1. How does the way in which you were taught to write for your former job as a case officer inform the way you write currently? (I have heard you say you had to completely had to reteach yourself how to write post-2009 [with the help of Borders Bookstores], but the succinctness of your dialogue seems to indicate otherwise.)

2. What is your favorite piece of original comic book art that you own?

Thanks! Give Roxy an extra belly-rub on behalf of all your fans in the DCUniverse!

5 Likes

I’m probably not the only person who first encountered Kite Man through the great Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon. So I’m curious for you:

-How/Where did you first discover Kite Man before you began your Batman run?
-What do think of how Kite Man’s portrayal in Harley Quinn cartoon and did you ever expect his catchphrase “Hell, yeah!” to be used in media outside of comics?
:kiteman2_hqtas:

5 Likes

Hello Mr. King. Hope all is well.
First question is if you had a chance to bring back a obscured DC Comics character from DC vast selection of characters, who will it be?
And how will you use them?
Thank you,sir.

3 Likes

With such a diverse collection of amazing art talent who worked on Batman with you - each with their own style - what kind of moves and changes did you have to make along the way to keep ensuring good collaborations and teamwork through the years of working on 1 specific book?

3 Likes

No question just a comment. Batman 37 the double date is one of the greatest single issues I’ve ever read.

7 Likes

What advice would you give to someone interested in writing comics?

What struggles did you have writing for Batman as opposed to others?

4 Likes