Live Q&A w/ Sean Murphy, Comic Creator of BATMAN: WHITE KNIGHT, & More, Tues 4/21 @5pm PT/8pm ET!

Live Q&A w/ Sean Murphy, Comic Artist & Writer Tues, 4/21 @5pm PT/8pm ET!

Facebook_Murphy

Starting Tuesday, April 21st at 5pm PT/8pm ET, we’ll be hosting a LIVE Q&A with the ground-breaking Sean Murphy, artist on many DC titles and creator of the upcoming addition to the DC Universe library, Batman: White Knight (releasing on DC Universe April 21st- what a coincidence)!

Please try to limit the number of questions asked to 1-2; this way, everyone has a chance to get a response in the limited time we have :slight_smile: Thanks!

Did he have any specific inspiration for such a unique Batman concept? Who is his favorite character to work on?

Add your questions in the comments below, and come back at 5pm PT/8pm ET on Tuesday, April 21st to read Sean’s answers LIVE!

Looking to read White Knight? Join the World of Bats Book Club here and read along!

13 Likes

I’ve been in love with the pared down muscle car aesthetic from your books. Looking at the stills of the batmobile from “the batman” movie I instantly thought of you. I love your universes unique aesthetic and set of promises/premises:

1. Will you avoid lazarus pits and resurrection devices in general or can we hope to see them destroyed in the “murpheyverse”?
  2. I read somewhere we can expect some more nightwing centered stuff from you in the future. Would this be a one shot or a full run? I am really happy this could be going down.

Thank you! Deaths being permanent finally creates real stakes in a genre that has all but given up on mortality or real long term consequences/gains/losses:) It’s refreshing!

6 Likes

Hi Sean! You’ve done a lot of work on a lot of varieties of Batmobiles… but given the challenge, what would you do with the Arrowcar?

4 Likes

Hi Sean,

I love love White Knight. It has been one of my favorite storylines and I love your art. And obviously think you have a good taste in vehicles as my husband and I are fixing up a Z car - 280z.

Hopefully these are questions you are not tired of answering:

1. What have been some inspirations when shaping your White Knight stories and would you write more White Knight universe stories if given the chance?

2. What has been your favorite thing to draw? Person, city, vehicle, weapon, anything.

Thank you so much for taking the time!

6 Likes

Hello Sean,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions! Big fan of your work, and it’s great to see an writer/artist thriving!
My questions are:
1-did you intentionally leave out Catwoman in your white knight universe because you were planning a story in her main book with Blake Northcott?
2- Will you ever go back to artwork for another writer’s book, or from now on will you always write and draw the projects you work on?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, looking forward to finishing curse of the white knight!

6 Likes

Good day sir Sean,
Your White Knight tales have been consistently my favorite Bat-family books out on the market. You mentioned in an interview long ago that your bible has been the Batman The Animated Series, what are some of your favorite episodes?
What are your preferred tools for drawing? Thank you so much for your time, and may you be happy and healthy!

4 Likes

Thank you Sean for taking the time to answer questions! I got to meet and talk to you at C2E2 this year, and it made my day! I loved your White Knight and enjoyed The Curse of the White Knight as well. I liked your take on Azrael.

My questions are on your new Catwoman stuff. What stories have influenced your take on Catwoman?

Also, what other major Batman ally would you like to focus on in your Batman universe?

1 Like

Thank you for doing this, Mr. Murphy. So:

1. One of my favorite things about your Murphy-verse work is all the world building you’ve done in a relatively short period of time, especially when it comes to the reimagining of characters. How do you go about this when planning out your stories. Do you look at a character like Mister Freeze and say “I really want to do something with him” or do you have your story and realize you need a character like him. Or does it depend on the character and the story?

2. What’s one character not in the Murphy-verse right now that you want to add eventually.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Hi Sean,

Huge fan of White Knight. Love your artwork man. Just have one question for you.

1- If you were going to be a mainstay writer / artist for a main DC continuity book which book would it be?

Thank you for your time and your amazing work!

3 Likes

So I recently read the collected tpb The Wake. Amazing. Do you plan on collaborating with Scott Snyder within your White Knight universe?
Also, when can we expect Batman Beyond the White Knight and will this introduce us to Terry McGinnis?

2 Likes

Hello Mr. Murphy,

I’m a big fan of your works, and to be completely honest when it, White Knight, was first announced/revealed I was adamant I would not like it but after giving it a try wow I was blown away! I really loved your books and I loved how much you included Nightwing (especially in the sequel)!

My question relates to Dick Grayson, in White Knight it’s revealed that Dick was the second Robin! Why was this as aspect of the Bat-Family that was changed? It’s interesting and I would love to see more of this Dick who grew up in the shadows of a Jason who was gone!

Thank you so much! So excited to see what comes next!

(P.s. Holy Moley that Mr. Freeze issue)

3 Likes

Hello Sean, I was just reading Batman the White Knight for the first time and notice there was alot of Batman movie references, which of the Batman film was the biggest inspiration for the story? I was thinking Lego Batman the movie.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Hi, Mr. Murphy! Outside of the Batman films, what other movies have inspired your take on Gotham and your work in general?

How do you feel about the Batmobile design in the upcoming movie, The Batman?

Thanks for your time!

4 Likes

Hello
Your Azrael looks awesome both bat and non bat.

What went into designing the costumes?(like inspiration or just thoughts went making it).

3 Likes

Sean, greetings from right here in Portland! I know you’ve used various street scenes here as the basis or inspiration for your Gotham; what are some of your favorite parts of the city to draw, and how did you use them in the books?

2 Likes

Awesome. I missed the Greg Capullo chat, so that sucked, but this is the one I’ve been the most excited for. White knight is one of my favorite stories.

2 Likes

Hi Mr. Murphy ,

My questions are :

1. What was your favorite part of writing the white knight story line for Batman ?

2. Do you like all the critical acclaim and fan reactions from what you have written ?

thank you for taking the time to answer these questions

2 Likes

Hey Sean! I absolutely love the work you did in White Knight and it really stood out to me among your other works. I love the artwork and story and found that everything in the series was fleshed out incredibly well. I wanted to ask you:

1. What gave/gives you inspiration to make things like this (where do/did you get your ideas from)?
  2. How did you get your start as an artist/writer?
  3. What’s your favorite of the works you’ve made?

These things stood out to me as questions I wanted answered and I thought this would be the best opportunity to ask. Thanks!

4 Likes

Full disclosure: When I read White Knight I actually cried. A lot. Something about it struck me very deeply.

My question is: It was pretty bold of you to go forth and and use a lot of “romantic” language from Joker to Batman. The way a lot of the wording could be seen as obsessive to the point of madness or obsession born from a twisted sort of love was interesting. What made you want to go with that angle?

3 Likes

You’ve collaborated with some great writers. Has there been anything you’ve learned from them that you apply to your writing?

2 Likes