Live Q&A w/ Ron Marz, Comic Writer of GREEN LANTERN, SUPERBOY, & More, Wed 2/24 @2pm PT/5pm ET!

Agree

7 Likes

Hello! I very much appreciate the questions, and everyone taking the time to be here. I’m going to try to get through as many answers as possible. Hope everyone is safe and healthy, and later this year we can get back to doing this in person at conventions!

11 Likes

Me too!

11 Likes

appropriate-reaction-Murphy-were-walk-room

10 Likes

Welcome to DC Universe Infinite Ron!

10 Likes

Batman-Aliens came out of conversation I had with artist Bernie Wrightson when we were driving back from NYC together. Bernie lived 1.5 miles down the road from my house, and we were close friends. Bernie suggested the pairing, and we both liked the idea a lot, so Bernie contacted Bob Schreck, who was an editor at Dark Horse at the time to pitch the idea.

We honestly never expect them to really approve it, since we would need Dark Horse, DC and 20th Century Fox to approve … but lo and behold, they did! We then realized we need to come up with an actual story, not just the idea of the crossover, so we put our heads togther and came up with the story as it exists. Bernie said he didn’t want to draw buildings or cars, so that’s why it’s set in the jungle and Mayan ruins.

I got to go over to his studio regularely and watches the pages come together. Just a wonderful experience. One of the originals hangs in my office now. I miss Bernie dearly.

15 Likes

It took me a week or so to agree to the gig after it was offered to me, because I really had to think about it. I knew it was going to be controversial, but ultimately, the story that editorial wanted me to tell was an opportunity to create a new, lead Green Lantern, and that was too enticing to pass up.

I have said I would have like to have at least 6 issues to tell the story, but we had only had 3 because of the timing. So I’m satisifed with what we were able to accomplish in the space we had. And obviously I loved working on Kyle.

14 Likes

Love thinking of you and Wrightson on a road trip together. The pairing of Batman/Aliens sounds so natural now, but I’m sure at the time it felt totally wild.

9 Likes

I actually DO like pineapple on pizza. I first had it in Mexico, after spending all day speluking in ancient caverns with Jim Starlin. I was so hungry, anything would have tasted good.

14 Likes

was it the batcave?

9 Likes

This is amazing news!!! Thank you for sharing and welcome to Team PoP (pineapple on pizza)

7 Likes

To think that was the beginning of multiple crossovers that seem natural now, like Batman & Superman vs Alien & Predator.

8 Likes

I had a wonderful time writing the Batman-Tarzan crossover that DC did with Dark Horse, and we hoped to do a sequel that we did not quite get off the ground. The story would have brought Tarzan to Gotham when his beloved Golden Lion is kidnapped for a circus. Gotham has some history with circuses. And clowns…

15 Likes

Thank you! Even characters we create are shared resources. You know that somene else will pick up the torch after you (no pun intended). I’m just happy that Kyle is still around, and appreciate other creators using him. Coming back to Kyle for the GL 80th special, and working with Darryl Banks again, was really lovely.

14 Likes

Hi @RonMarz,

Thank you for hanging out with us today!!! My question is, what dc character(s) would you love to see become a lantern for a day, along with the lantern corps of your choosing?

Thank you in advance for your response!!!

6 Likes

Yeah, sorry about that one, Texas. Seriously, I know many people suffered and are still suffering hardships becaise of winter weather. It’s sobering to see the kind of stuff we made up for Endless Winter really impact people.

Bernie was one of my best friends, so he was really … just Bernie. We lived on the same road, saw each other 3 or 4 times a week. I would have to pinch myself regularly and reminded myself, “Oh, right, that’s BERNIE WRIGHTSON.”

12 Likes

Baseball player! That was my plan up until about fifth grade. And then I kind of figured out that writer was a lot more likely.

11 Likes

Thank you for your response! I think many folks dream of writing but think it unlikely, I’m thrilled you saw the path and forged ahead!

9 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to chat with us here, and the response.

8 Likes

I don’t really have an answer for this one, because a BIG crossover like that has so many moving parts, and a fair amount of editorial supervision. I am forever grateful that I got to write Marvel vs. DC, it’s the story every 10-year-old dreams of writing. Playing with all those toys is the BEST.

13 Likes