Live Q&A w/ Mariko Tamaki, writer of NEW SUPER-MAN, HARLEY QUINN: BREAKING GLASS, & More! Thurs, 4/9 @ 3:00pm PT/6:00pm ET

OH or was your question about other villains I would LIKE to write? I would love to write a Joker book some day. I do love a Joker.

7 Likes

I am actually working on a queer DC story right now (although I’m not sure how much of those details are public yet), which is attached to an existing DC character but is a new story. I’ve always tried to include LGBTQ characters in my storylines. I added a character named Dolly in Supergirl: Being Super as a best friend for Kara. I would love to write a Batwoman story some day. I loved Greg Rucka’s work on that storyline.

I’m glad you love the YA books! I am, obviously, a very big fan too.

7 Likes

I feel like there’s a lot of stories I’ve written that I would love to write MORE about. I’d love to do a sequel to Supergirl: Being Super (which I originally mapped out as a three parter). I’d love to revisit Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass and write a storyline that’s focused on Poison Ivy. There is a part of me that thinks it would be a huge challenge but an interesting challenge to try and do Batman or Superman in a YA series.

Also I just want to say that I appreciate that your name is Lecouch and I’m wondering if that’s a last name or if it’s like, “Le Couch.”

9 Likes

I just checked and it seems Supergirl: Being Super is missing from our library here at DCU :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you! My first thought were that it’s a huge responsibility, and that many amazing writers have written for Wonder Woman and I have very large red boots to fill.

I mean seriously, there is just SO MUCH Wonder Woman stuff out there. It’s like writing into the whole of Greek Mythology!

Then, in all honestly, I was kind of immediately immersed in coming up with a story and writing it.

5 Likes

I loved hearing both your answers actually! Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!

4 Likes

Hello possible young writer!

I think young adult stories are kind of a perfect marriage with YA stories. They’re both stories about becoming, and you can really hone into that part of it, you know? The transition. Plus on some level weirdly young adult superheroes have the same responsibilities as their adult counterparts. They still have to save the world. It’s A LOT and being a teenager I think feels like A LOT anyway.

One thing I think is I’ve long forgotten what high school classes were like and so I always have to look up what people would be doing at what age (also looking up stuff like, are bunsen burners still a thing).

My advice to young writer is to write as much as possible. Write short stories and short comics, because those things are easier to finish and to share and get other people to read than novels and graphic novels. Share your work online and try to take people criticisms and thoughts as input rather than any signal that this is what you should or shouldn’t be doing. Along that line, find a friend who’s opinion you trust to read your stuff and give you constructive feedback. Writing is rewriting and editing, getting better at revisiting and fixing your first drafts is the key, I think, to being a better writer.

Good luck!

8 Likes

HAHA! Wow. I mean if Harley Quinn wrote a book of bad advice it would be some weird scrapbook filled with doodles of clowns and broken buttons. Which I would read.

I think most heroes would never even think of writing a book of advice. I don’t think Lara Croft would want to give advice, I think she would find it annoying. Ditto Jennifer Walters. Ditto Laura Kinney.

I think at some point you might find a Diana Prince book of advice? Maybe? She does seem like she might have it in her but I think she might get bored. Writing is a lot of sitting down. Diana’s more of a walk and think.

6 Likes

Thank you!

I wrote the teleplay so I can’t take any credit for any specific scenes. I co-wrote with Rob Wright and Jess Kardos and mostly I felt like I was just along for the ride! I can take credit for the name of the episode, in what I think people will see as a theme in everything I do.

6 Likes

Thank you for answering!

2 Likes

I do not as of this moment, but that might just be because I’m wrapping up a storyline that doesn’t include either of those characters. But it’s a good idea :grin:

6 Likes

I think LGBTQ+ narratives are like all narratives, they have to be grounded in a person, in a full blooded, complex person who is more than just LGBTQ+. I think it’s tricky because a lot of LGBTQ+ characters have been supporting characters that have limited roles in the story, so by that nature they’ve been simplified. You know? Complex takes space. I’ve had people complain that characters that I’ve created have been one note, which is sometimes because they’re only appearing in three panels.
For me the key to LGBTQ+ stories is to make them personal. To connect to something that’s true for me.

Good luck!

7 Likes

OOOOOH!
That’s an interesting question.
I mean I feel like I can see Lara Croft working maybe with Catwoman? Or Batwoman? I feel like she would run into them somewhere and team up? I can’t see Lara Croft having much patience for a Superman. I think the Teen Titans would drive her crazy.

4 Likes

OH YES MY FRIEND.
It is IN the works.
I just saw illustrations today and they are GORGEOUS.
It’s actually the very Goth and very grumpy daughter of Starfire.
And yes there is very much LGBTQ rep in the book.

Thanks for asking and picking up HQBG!

6 Likes

Hmmm.
I feel like I’ve always wanted to live in Wayne Manor. I would probably remodel it. I don’t know if I’d want to put on a kevlar suit and fight crime though.
I could see myself trading places with Wonder Women and maybe doing a summer in Themyscira. If that was in continuity.

4 Likes

Thanks!
April 9 2020 6:34pm

3 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

I would like to do a Donna Troy story! Maybe some day some editor will realize I should write one and email me with said job offer.
Just saying!
My dream projects are actually in the works. I love writing Wonder Woman and I love my YA DC book I’m working on, I am Not Starfire.
I’d love to write a Batman book someday? Maybe out of continuity.
I actually love getting to do little inventory issues every once in a while to just write a small window into a different DC character - without getting into a whole arc.
Although I love whole arcs too. Obv.
I think it would be fun to get to do a Teen Titans comic. I loved Adam Glass and Bernard Chang’s work on that series.

7 Likes

Donna Troy has been many things. If this is a trick question.

4 Likes

She’s on to you, HCQ- run!

6 Likes